1 - 4 of 4 Posts

francescool

This Greek documentary showcases the history of the Greek worry beads and how they are made. These worry beads are a mystical and historical tool used by Greeks and many other groups all around the world to count their worries and to fiddle with in their hands. They look pretty similar to prayer beads, but they are different. Greek orthodox people have prayer ropes with circular knots in them to count their prayers.

k_tsoukalas

This is interesting about the worry beads. I see them all over Greece, and the video was fascinating!

lalajess

This Greek documentary showcases the history of the Greek worry beads and how they are made. These worry beads are a mystical and historical tool used by Greeks and many other groups all around the world to count their worries and to fiddle with in their hands. They look pretty similar to prayer beads, but they are different. Greek orthodox people have prayer ropes with circular knots in them to count their prayers.

This is so cool! I always buy some when I am in Greece, and I never knew how they were being made.

Reactions: kcixcy

kcixcy

This Greek Evzone was made in the USA!

This makes me so proud and happy to see that people are connecting with their heritage from miles away and willingly doing the military service to serve their country. Bravo to the soldier and those that are like him. I can't wait to go to Athens again and visit the tomb of the unknown soldier.

What are the most in demand jobs for Greek speakers?

I would love to leverage my Greek speaking ability in the job market and see where my skills can be most valuable in the future. I am still in school now, so I am not looking for a job quite yet but I am just curious what everyone else's experience has been. Is Greek a useful language to know outside of Greece?

What does malakas really mean?

As many of you may know, malakas is probably one of the most popular words and swearwords in the Greek language. I hear it all the time when I'm travelling in Greece, and even when I'm in the United States. People can't seem to get enough of it. And its original state, the word means "wanker" which is commonly used in the UK. Although, the word has taken on many forms and can mean pretty much anything from "you're my best friend" to "I hate you."

My favorite Greek love poem!

Greek poetry is some of the best around the world! I've been reading it for years, and this poem still stands to be one of my favorites. Let me know what you think, and of course share your favourites in the forum :)

Ode to Aphrodite:

Aphrodite, subtle of soul and deathless,
Daughter of God, weaver of wiles, I pray thee
Neither with care, dread Mistress, nor with anguish,
Slay thou my spirit!

But in pity hasten, come now if ever
From afar of old when my voice implored thee,
Thou hast deigned to listen, leaving the golden
House of thy father

With thy chariot yoked; and with doves that drew thee,
Fair and fleet around the dark earth from heaven,
Dipping vibrant wings down he azure distance,
Through the mid-ether;

Very swift they came; and thou, gracious Vision,
Leaned with face that smiled in immortal beauty,
Leaned to me and asked, "What misfortune threatened?
Why I had called thee?"

"What my frenzied heart craved in utter yearning,
Whom its wild desire would persuade to passion?
What disdainful charms, madly worshipped, slight thee?
Who wrongs thee, Sappho?"

"She that fain would fly, she shall quickly follow,
She that now rejects, yet with gifts shall woo thee,
She that heeds thee not, soon shall love to madness,
Love thee, the loth one!"

Come to me now thus, Goddess, and release me
From distress and pain; and all my distracted
Heart would seek, do thou, once again fulfilling,
Still be my ally!

Here is the link https://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/pos/pos08.htm

Did you know about the Greek New Years tradition of hanging onions on doors?

In Greece, there are many different New Year's traditions and some of them vary by location and the specific culture of the region. Most of them bring good luck and health for the new year, especially this onion tradition. Across all of Greece, families will hang a yellow onion on their door as a symbol of good luck. They will usually do this after the church service on New Year's Day. While not all families do this, you may see it next time you visit Greece in January, look out for it!
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter