1 - 4 of 4 Posts

francescool

This Greek documentary showcases the history of the Greek worry beads and how they are made. These worry beads are a mystical and historical tool used by Greeks and many other groups all around the world to count their worries and to fiddle with in their hands. They look pretty similar to prayer beads, but they are different. Greek orthodox people have prayer ropes with circular knots in them to count their prayers.

k_tsoukalas

This is interesting about the worry beads. I see them all over Greece, and the video was fascinating!

lalajess

This Greek documentary showcases the history of the Greek worry beads and how they are made. These worry beads are a mystical and historical tool used by Greeks and many other groups all around the world to count their worries and to fiddle with in their hands. They look pretty similar to prayer beads, but they are different. Greek orthodox people have prayer ropes with circular knots in them to count their prayers.

This is so cool! I always buy some when I am in Greece, and I never knew how they were being made.

Reactions: kcixcy

kcixcy

Resources for Orthodox Christian Religious Fasting?

This past year, I have started taking fasting a lot more seriously. I used to just fast off and on during lent, but I have since learned that fasting is a constant thing. One thing I have noticed is that I struggle a bit to find food to eat, or to know what to do. This is a resource that I find helpful - I am curious if you guys know of anything that can help me:

Upcoming Greek Holidays to Think About

I am really trying to reconnect with my Greek heritage and one thing I realized - my family has gotten away from some of the Greek traditions surrounding major holidays. My family used to celebrate a lot, but many of those who have kept traditions alive have passed away. Is there anything between now and Christmas? What Christmas traditions should I prepare to do this year? I found this link - what do you guys think?

Things to Know When Visiting Greece?

I found this article very helpful... I am going soon and this isn't my first time, but I still fond this helpful:

Do you have anything to add t this list? #3 - find your latest alike - really caught my eye. I am a photographer so this is a work/play type of trip and I bet I can get some great slice of life shots there.

Greek Wedding Traditions for Weddings in Greece?

I am in research mode. My wedding is next year and I feel like I am behind. I am not Greek or an Orthodox Christian, but I love Greece and the culture. Are there any traditions that it might be fun if I incorporate into the ceremony or the celebrations? I am not sure where to start!
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter