1 - 4 of 4 Posts

nm1999

Homer is my favorite Greek philosopher of all time! His influence is still felt today and its even required readings for many high school and university courses. Who is your favorite Greek philosopher?

Homer.jpg

My vote for favorite Greek philosopher is Socrates! 🇬🇷🇬🇷🇬🇷

Reactions: nm1999
Homer is my favorite Greek philosopher of all time! His influence is still felt today and its even required readings for many high school and university courses. Who is your favorite Greek philosopher?

View attachment 668

I understood what you meant by your question, but I still have a problem with the word "philosophy"since neither the Iliad nor the Odyssey are written in the dialogue style of Plato, or in the prose style of most philosophers who discuss a topic "in the abstract". Poets like Homer and novelists like Camus and cultural essayists like Nietzsche -- just to mention three names, are "thinkers" or observrs of human conditions, and express their wisdom or insights in concrete social contexts [such as a war, a tourist adventure, an imaginary journey, a published/literary drama (like Sophocles' Oedipus Rex) , etc. So, I distinguish Philosophy Proper [done in the abstract] and Adventitious Philosophy [done in the concrete, in described world situations]. // I, too, love Homer, a great philosophical poet!// Historians, like Polybios, can also be philosophical, This is one of his oft-quoted observations: There is no witness so dreadful, no accuser so terrible as the conscious [conscience] that dwells in the heart of every man.

Last edited:

Janus - God of Beginnings

I learned recently of Janus, the Roman God of Beginnings. The month January, I believe, is named after this God.

Many of the Roman Gods and Goddesses have Greek counterparts. Does Janus?

If so, I think that would be an interesting god to learn about. I have to be honest - I am not sure there is a counterpart. I have been searching but there either isn't enough information online, or there really is no equivalent.

Do you guys have any idea?

Different Gods and Goddesses in Different Parts of Greece?

I had thought that the pantheon of gods and goddesses was a standardized concept throughout Greece, but it appears as if that might be incorrect thinking on my part.

In learning about the different Greek islands and regions of Greece, I see that there might be regional myths, gods, and goddesses that might not be present in other parts of Greece.

I can't think of specific examples. I am just writing this post to confirm to you guys whether this is true or not... For example, I get the feeling that some of the stories on Crete may not have been part of the stories in other places in Greece - like the Minotaur - was that Crete specific?

Maybe there's no way to really know....?

List of fun Greek mythology topics

I really love Greek Mythology. I thought I would share with you all some of my favorite topics:

1. Birth of the Olympians and how they came to power
  2. Different heroes of Greek mythology
  3. 12 Labors of Hercules
  4. Trojan War
  5. Iliad and the Odyssey and all the stories in them
  6. The story of Persephone
  7. Pandora's box
  8. Different creatures - like the Minotaur and Hydra
What are yours?

Favorite Stories of Greek Mythology

I am studying up on some Greek Mythology. I am making a list of key stories to look into and get to know. Can you think of anything I may have missed:

- Prometheus gives mankind fire
- Anything related to the Minotaur
- I plan to read the Iliad and the Odyssey
- How medusa turned into a monster
- Zeus's various "Exploits"
- Anything related to Hercules
- Information about the Olympian gods and goddesses
- The war with the Titans

Hestia Greek Goddess Information

We don't talk about Hestia much... but I just remembered that my yiayia did! I wondered why, so I researched her. Here is what I found... I think it has something to do with the fact that she was a housewife and she loved her family.. Looking at what she represents, it kind of makes sense. Here's what I found about her:

The Greek goddess Hestia was revered as the goddess of the hearth and home. In ancient Greek mythology, she was known to be a benevolent deity, who brought warmth and comfort to the home. Through her presence, she blessed the family and provided them with a sense of safety and security.

Hestia was the first-born child of Cronus and Rhea, and she was the sister of other Olympian gods such as Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades. Unlike her brothers and sisters, she did not engage in any power struggles or battles. She preferred to remain neutral and instead focused her attention on her household duties. Hestia was considered one of the most important deities, as the hearth represented the heart of the home. People would light a fire in her honor and worship her by placing offerings of food and drink on their hearth.

In ancient Greek culture, a hearth was often considered the most important part of the home. It was where food was cooked, and family members gathered to eat, share stories, and bond. Hestia's role in domestic life was crucial, and she was responsible for creating the warmth and sense of security felt within the home. Her presence was believed to bring good luck and happiness to the family.
Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back