1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Athena became the guardian of Athens because she actually defeated Posideon. He also wanted to be the guardian of Athens so she had to go head to head with him. They each had to give residents a gift, and Athena gave the Athenians an olive tree which they found more useful so they chose her as the guardian

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the background of Athena of Greek mythology:

k_tsoukalas

Athena became the guardian of Athens because she actually defeated Posideon. He also wanted to be the guardian of Athens so she had to go head to head with him. They each had to give residents a gift, and Athena gave the Athenians an olive tree which they found more useful so they chose her as the guardian
For context, she didn't defeat Poseidon in a battle. Athena won the contest of providing the people with the most valuable gift.

Geographical Images of the Gods

There is a long-forgotten realm of gods, myths, and religions I stumbled upon years ago, and have been independently researching ever since. We are all familiar with the geographical image we commonly refer to as the “boot of Italy.” What has been lost for centuries is the knowledge that the ancients knew of many such images and created stories telling of those image’s imagined interactions. Today, many of those stories survive as myths.
To explain my discoveries, I’ve created a video presentation, Geographical Images of the Gods. View my presentation and you will see the goddess Aphrodite riding her seashell, Zeus wielding his thunderbolt, Adam, and Eve in The Garden, and much, much more.
I am currently looking for imaginative people who might become interested in researching this long-forgotten realm with me. There is still much to be discovered, and I can’t do it all alone.
You can view my presentation, Geographical Images of the Gods, at geographicalimagesofthegods.org. Your questions and comments are welcome.

Antigone is one of the most twisted Greek myths of all time

There are so many twisted and strange Greek myths that exist, but Antigone is probably one of the most freakish in my opinion. Antigone is the child of Oedipus and Jocasta, who is his mother. That makes Antigone the product of incest, and both the daughter and grandchild of Jocasta, and the daughter and sibling of Oedipus. The myth of Antigone is more focused on her efforts to bury her brother, Polynices. But personally all I can focus on is this twisted nature of her existence! The Greek gods were one hell of a people LOL.

The classic myth of the golden fleece

This is a classic story from Greek mythology. As you will see in the video, this fleece was from a coveted golde ram whose hair was made out of gold. Anyone who was able to get their hands on this fleece would be considered a true king and would gain access to power over the land. This is where the story gets a little more complicated...

In your opinion, what is the wildest Greek mythology story?

I know there are some pretty wild and crazy Greek mythology stories that involve incest, murder, and even worse. I'm super curious to see what everyone's favourite and most wild story is. If you are able to share links of the full story, please do. I know some of them can be very complicated and long so I don't want to make you spend forever explaining them in the threads LOL.

Have you ever wanted to read the Odyssey without reading the Odyssey?

If you're not a big reader like myself, this video is perfect! If you didn't know, the odyssey is one of the most important classical poems in Greece. It is a massive poem that reads like a book. It follows the story of Homer and his escapades throughout different areas of Greece after the Trojan War, specifically Ithaca. Let me know what you think of this summary.

Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter