1 - 3 of 3 Posts

blopez34

Avgolemono can be put on literally everything!! I like to put it on gemista and dolmadakia :) This is how you make it

Ingredients: 1-2 cups broth or pan juices from the dish for which you are making avgolemono, 2 eggs, Juice of 1-2 lemons

Gradually beat in a spoonful at a time of hot broth until the mixture is very warm. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the pot with the rest of the hot broth and stir continuously until the sauce thickens slightly. Do not allow to boil because it will cook the eggs and the sauce will separate.

And this is what it looks like
Egg-and-Lemon-Sauce-720x483.jpg

Reactions: Jawge and nadellii

nadellii

This sauce is so good, you can thicken it up with cornstarch if you want

k_tsoukalas

This is one of the most versatile sauces in all of Greek cuisine! I use it in a bunch of different dishes, and I keep remembering different ways my family has used it that I have forgotten. My grandmother used to make this fish dish involving avgolemono. I don't remember the name of it! Does anyone know it?

Could I Use Different Greens in My Pita?

The there day, I tried to follow a spanakopita recipe that I actually shared here, and I ran out of spinach! So, I actually ran down to the store to get some. However, I had kale on hand, and I wondered the whole time I was driving if I should have just used the kale. I didn't need much more spinach - just a few handfuls.

What do you think? What would you have done? I already mixed the filling otherwise I would have just put everything in a smaller pan.

Tips for Working with Phyllo?

As I am reconnecting with cooking Greek food and tracking down some of my mother's old recipes (I lost most of them!) or recreating them through research, I realize I am rusty working with phyllo. Do you guys have any tips? In particular, the phyllo seems to be sticking together inside the package.

I enjoyed this video - do you guys have anything to add?

I have been thawing it on the counter and that I think is my first problem!

Is Melomakarona and Finikia the Same Thing?

I am trying to get my recipe box in order and I have a recipe for Melomakarona and another for Finikia, but as I look at these recipes, they look like the same thing. Are they? My family always referred to it as Finikia and always made it at Christmas, but I got the Melomakorona recipe from a friend without realizing the similarities. If it is the same cookie, does anyone know why it has different names?

Making a List of Healthy Greek Dishes to Cook at Home

It's still summer, and there is plenty of fresh produce left to eat. I think about the time I have spent in Greece and how healthy I have felt eating that way, and I want to replicate this while home outside of Greece. So, I thought I would make a list of some of my favorite, healthy Greek dishes. Please share yours, too!

1. Village salad (choriatiki)
2. Lentil soup (fakes)
3. Chicken souvlaki (I don't put a lot of olive oil in the marinade)
4. Eggplant spread (melitzanasalata)
5. Dolmades - stuffed grape leaves
6. Spanakorizo (spinach rice)

I am curious - which healthy Greek dishes do you like the best?

Do you have tips for working with phyllo?

I have been experimenting with Greek cooking for a few years now and I didn't have the guts to start trying to work with phyllo until recently - I tried to make baklava. I had all kinds of problems and I am hoping you guys have some tips to help me get the hang of it better. Here's a list of the issues I had:

1. Sheets were stuck together in the package
2. The phyllo started to dry out as I assembled the recipe
3. My pan was shorter than each sheet and I didn't know what to do with the exces

I don't know, am I doing something wrong?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter