1 - 3 of 3 Posts

knicks_fan87

Healthy Greek gyros are really good to make if you're trying to be a bit more careful of what you eat. In my opinion, chicken souvlaki made with chicken breast is going to be a healthier option. When youre cooking it at home, I recommend using a bit less oil and marinating the chicken in fat free Greek yogurt and spices. If you like, you can also use whole wheat pita bread, this is slightly healthier and will also help regulate your blood sugar a bit more. In terms of the toppings, all of them are pretty healthy. You can opt out of the French fries or put a bit less if youre trying to eat less carbohydrates. Let me know what you think of these tips!

Healthy Greek gyros are really good to make if you're trying to be a bit more careful of what you eat. In my opinion, chicken souvlaki made with chicken breast is going to be a healthier option. When youre cooking it at home, I recommend using a bit less oil and marinating the chicken in fat free Greek yogurt and spices. If you like, you can also use whole wheat pita bread, this is slightly healthier and will also help regulate your blood sugar a bit more. In terms of the toppings, all of them are pretty healthy. You can opt out of the French fries or put a bit less if youre trying to eat less carbohydrates. Let me know what you think of these tips!
A friend f mine makes her own gyro meat, which cuts down on the salt and some of the fat while still retaining the same general flavor. I also try to put more of the veggies in there than normal!

This sounds like a delicious recipe! I like making gyros at home with chicken, as well. I marinate my chicken in a ladolemono dressing (oil and lemon with oregano, garlic, salt, pepper).

Getting souvlaki tender?

How do you make tender Greek souvlaki? I've attempted various recipes, marinated for different durations, and experimented with both high and low cooking temps, but I seem to be missing the mark for that mouth-watering tenderness commonly found in authentic Greek souvlaki.

Has anyone found a particular method or ingredient that makes a significant difference in achieving that ideal tenderness?

I use ladolemono, a marinate it overnight in ziplock baggies (after I cut the meat in cubes) and then I add them to the skewers and cook them on the grill. I typically use chicken.

What are the most famous Greek cheeses?

I've recently embarked on a culinary quest to explore the rich and diverse world of Greek cheeses. From the tangy feta found in traditional Greek salads to the sizzling delights of halloumi, Greece's cheese culture seems incredibly vast and flavorful. 🇬🇷

I'm reaching out to this knowledgeable community to ask: What are the most famous Greek cheeses that you've tried or heard of?

Are there any particular varieties that are a must-try or any hidden gems that rarely escape the borders of Greece? And if you have any delicious recipes or pairings to share, I'd love to hear about those too!

Greek grilling advice and tips?

It's getting warm out and time to break out the grill! I am interested in how do Greek people in Greece grill? I've had so many delicious grilled foods in Greece, I am having a hard time getting the same flavors here in the United States.

I've tried my hand at a few recipes, aiming to capture that authentic taste, but I feel like there's a deeper level of technique and tradition that I'm just not hitting. From choosing the right ingredients to mastering the grill itself, I know there’s a wealth of subtleties that can turn a good dish into a great one.

Do they use certain marinades or techniques? I've watched people in Greece grill - they don't even really follow recipes.

Traditional Greek soups in Greece?

Most of the Greeks I know are from the United States - so it's been a few generations since a lot of them spent extended time in Greece.

From what I understand, Greek cuisine kind of changes. From what I can tell, in the United States, the most popular soup is Egg and Lemon soup (avgolemono) but in Greece, I don't see to as much or rather, hear of it as much.

What are the most popular soups in Greece?

Best meze to serve at Easter?

What is the best Greek meze to serve for Greek Easter? I want dishes that will wow my guests and make this Easter unforgettable. I’m looking for meze that are both traditional and have that ‘wow’ factor in terms of visual appeal and taste. I’d appreciate if you could share your favorites and perhaps some personal tips or recipes that make them stand out.

Here’s what I’m considering so far, but I’d love your input:
  • Tzatziki - A refreshing yogurt, cucumber, and garlic dip.
  • Spanakopita - Hearty spinach and feta pie encased in flaky pastry.
  • Dolmadakia (Stuffed Grape Leaves) - A tangy and herb-infused delight.
  • Feta cheese. A classic - I sometimes drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with oregano.
  • Olives. No meze spread is complete without olives.
What else should I put out? Or is that enough? We're having about 20 people.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back