1 - 2 of 2 Posts

mj_toronto8

Growing up, I didn't realize that capers were considered a part of Greek cuisine. It seems as if they grow well in Greece! I know that capers are often part of the village salad version that you can find on Santorini. How else are they used in Greek cuisine? I did some research and found some tips:
  • It seems that Greeks sometimes put them in stews?
  • I saw a recipe somewhere that it was a dish that had a tomato-based sauce with peppers and onions, and there were capers in it
The issue is that I don't know if this is accurate, and I also don't know what the recipes are.

Reactions: The Greek Vibe

The Greek Vibe

Growing up, I didn't realize that capers were considered a part of Greek cuisine. It seems as if they grow well in Greece! I know that capers are often part of the village salad version that you can find on Santorini. How else are they used in Greek cuisine? I did some research and found some tips:
  • It seems that Greeks sometimes put them in stews?
  • I saw a recipe somewhere that it was a dish that had a tomato-based sauce with peppers and onions, and there were capers in it
The issue is that I don't know if this is accurate, and I also don't know what the recipes are.
The Greek caper is a culinary wonder and particularly the capers from Tinos and the Cyclades. It is used fresh in Greek salad or boiled vegetables as well as in red sauce for spaghetti, on pizza, in tuna salads and egg salad. On Tinos there is also a dip made with capers. You can learn more about its secrets above. Have in mind capers are salty so don't use salt when you add capers.

Other "Leaves" to Use for Stuffing?

I have seen various "stuffed" leaf-type dishes in Greek cuisine, and I am realizing that the filling is always pretty similar. The two common ones I see are grape leaves (delicious in early summer when I can pick the leaves) and cabbage.

I noticed that there are other types of "leaves" that can be used. I think someone says they often use Swiss chard? What else can be used? I love every type of dish in this category. Thanks!

How to Use Spoon Sweets?

I am about to make my first ever spoon sweet. Someone told me that there was a it of a ritual associated with it?

I went over someone's house once and they gave me some spoon sweets with some Greek coffee and water. I am kind of getting the feeling that this is a pretty typical experience?

Besides the ritual, how else are spoon sweets used? Can I eat them like jam?

Making Greek baked beans advice...

I saw a recipe for Greek baked beans in tomato sauce and I want to make it.

It calls for dried gigantes beans, which I can't find. Can I use any dried bean? I was thinking dried, white lima beans. I also think I read in another thread that someone here uses butter beans? Can I use canned beans? That would make things so much easier...

Greek Cheeses to Eat in Greece...

Growing up outside of Greece, I ate a lot of Feta Cheese ... I mean, it's delicious! Also, it's the easiest to find.

I know that there are a ton of different cheeses in Greece, though, and the cheeses that are available are somewhat regional.

Here is where I know I am definitely going:

Athens
Corinth
Kythira

And if I have time, I was hoping to head to Santorini. I will be in Greece for about a month and I am not sure how long I will stay in each place. There's a lot to see and do in Athens alone, plus I have people to visit.

"Greek-Style" Chicken Wings Question...

It is football playoff season and I want to eat wings! I thought I would try to mix it up and create a Greek style wings situation ... so I decided to use ladolemono (oil and lemon with garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, some onion). I marinate the wings in a bag overnight, then actually fired up the grill and cooked them.

They were delicious, but weren't crispy. I actually don't usually make wings, I buy them, so I have no idea how to make wings crispy. Other than that, they tasted amazing and I would do this again.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube