1 - 6 of 6 Posts

greggd12

I was wondering what the Greek wedding traditions are about inviting plus ones to weddings. Is it common to invite plus ones? Is it usually listed on the invitation? And if so, should you only invite a plus one if you are married, or is it okay to invite a girlfriend or boyfriend? This is something that I've always thought about because I'm not married but I would still like to attend the wedding with someone. I also know that many times, if an individual is invited, their family is also invited. Is this the case for Greek weddings?

Reactions: Hash
I was wondering what the Greek wedding traditions are about inviting plus ones to weddings. Is it common to invite plus ones? Is it usually listed on the invitation? And if so, should you only invite a plus one if you are married, or is it okay to invite a girlfriend or boyfriend? This is something that I've always thought about because I'm not married but I would still like to attend the wedding with someone. I also know that many times, if an individual is invited, their family is also invited. Is this the case for Greek weddings?
In my opinion and all the weddings I have been to, my companion/wife was very welcomed,the only problems were the churches were small in Mykonos so we had stay outside, except for the monastery in Ano Mera which can accommodate many people, personally without being too formal unless it is 'strictly by invitation' and seating and dining restrictions and may be they know you are alone!!..a little sensitive but should you decide just ask... even if the first part church and dining/seating are restricted, you can invite your companion to the after wedding celebrations etc.... Whatever you decide enjoy the wedding!We have been to all nighters and they were still going strong at 9am the next day and after breakfasts....and continuing😂😂.... Kalley Mera from Thailand..

Last edited:
In Greece, usually when a family has kids and the kids aren't married, then the invitations are sent to the parents only and it means the family is invited. If the kids are married, then different invitations are sent to each kid. What this means is that if you have a bf/gf then you have to ask the couple if you can bring your bf/gf unless they were invited by the couple.

Very nicely explained....I just opened my opinion!... Kalley Mera!
In Greece, usually when a family has kids and the kids aren't married, then the invitations are sent to the parents only and it means the family is invited. If the kids are married, then different invitations are sent to each kid. What this means is that if you have a bf/gf then you have to ask the couple if you can bring your bf/gf unless they were invited by the couple.

Reactions: greggd12
In my opinion and all the weddings I have been to, my companion/wife was very welcomed,the only problems were the churches were small in Mykonos so we had stay outside, except for the monastery in Ano Mera which can accommodate many people, personally without being too formal unless it is 'strictly by invitation' and seating and dining restrictions and may be they know you are alone!!..a little sensitive but should you decide just ask... even if the first part church and dining/seating are restricted, you can invite your companion to the after wedding celebrations etc.... Whatever you decide enjoy the wedding!We have been to all nighters and they were still going strong at 9am the next day and after breakfasts....and continuing😂😂.... Kalley Mera from Thailand..
Yes, that has been my experience as well, usually everyone who is having a Greek wedding is super welcoming. But if you're unsure, it's always OK to ask

In my experience you have to ask if it is okay to bring a plus one in advance, rather than just show up with them. I think if there's a question in your mind, you should ask just to be safe.

Navigating Greek Lenten Fasting - Advice?

Lent is here and all my friends and family have been asking "what are you doing for lent this year?" They're all "giving something up" but I decided I wanted to fast. I would love your help and advice because this is the first time I am doing things in a stricter way. I resolve to see it through!

It's supposed to be a a time of reflection, purification, and preparation for the celebration of Easter, and the diet plays a significant part in this spiritual journey. I don't want to get so obsessed with the "rules" that I lose myself in them and forget why I am fasting int he first place.

Thanks in advance!

Advice about making Greek coffee

I've developed a fascination with Greek culture and cuisine, and one aspect I'm particularly eager to explore is Greek coffee. I've heard that it's a unique and delicious brew, but I'm not quite sure how to make it at home.

I understand that Greek coffee is traditionally prepared using a special pot called a briki, but beyond that, I'm a bit lost. What type of coffee grounds should I use, and how finely should they be ground? Are there any specific brands or blends that are favored for making Greek coffee?

I'm also curious about the brewing process itself. Is there a particular technique for achieving that rich, foamy texture that Greek coffee is known for? And what about serving suggestions? Are there any traditional accompaniments or customs that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Greek Name Days Celebrations

I have been encouraging my family and friends to let me know when their name days are. I know for my immediate family, of course, but I want to start honoring name days in addition to birthdays like they do in Greece.

But aside from wishing someone Chronia Polla, or happy name day, what else can we do? How do people in Greece celebrate? Is it much like a birthday?

Netflix Show about Alexander the Great

I just noticed there was a show about Alexander the Great on Netflix. How is it?

I have been noticing some buzz that it's fairly controversial, but those who are unhappy about it ... I can't tell if they actually know about him, or if they are just upset about how he was depicted.

I am trying to figure out if I want to watch it so your honest reviews are welcome.

I have studied Alexander the Great a little bit and no a bit about his life, so I am sincerely hoping it's worth my time. I am between shows at the moment.

Greek Naming Traditions?

I have noticed that in Greece, there are some traditions associated with naming their children. Although some Greek families in the United States have done this, many have seemed to lose the traditions.

Does anyone know what some of these traditions are? I am helping a friend name his upcoming child... Here's some of what I have learned:

1. Firstborn daughter names after maternal grandmother
2. Firstborn son named after paternal grandfather
3. Firstborn son named after father

Those are the ones I have figured out. I don't know what is traditional from Greece and what has just been made up amongst Greeks in the US.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back