1 - 16 of 16 Posts

seleanor

I have a vegan friend who is a bit nervous about traveling to Greece. Does anyone know if there are any vegan options, especially in the touristy spots? Thanks

Reactions: Hash and Laura48
One of my nieces is vegan and she doesn't struggle too much. There are a lot of health food stores in Greece that carry vegan options. Tavernas are a bit more challenging because they have so much meat, but if you ask for lenten food they usually have a few options

Reactions: Laura48
I holiday in Greece several times a year (apart from 2020 obviously) and things have come a huge way. I tend to holiday mostly in Pefkos, Rhodes, so will focus on that, there’s places there with specifically vegan dishes, some with whole menus, but I know you can also do well elsewhere on the island.

La Piazza does gorgeous eat in or take away pizza which can be made with Violife cheese and garlic bread with olive oil.

Most places do gemista and pasta arrabiata Or with veg. One of the restaurants (easily findable when you wander the main drag) has a separate menu with vegan stifado and about 4 other choices, everything we tried was delicious. This is a snapshot, but you’ll be able to negotiate something pretty much anywhere in this resort.

The supermarkets generally have dairy-free milk, Vitalite, spinach and potato pasties, Alpro yoghurts and milkshakes, pita breads, hummus, fruit, veg.

In Rhodes Town, my friend runs the veg/vgn restaurant To Marouli whilst also dedicating herself to the rescue and well-being of the island’s stray cat and dog population. Another friend who runs another of the island’s animal welfare charities lives in Lardos and takes us into the hills when we visit, ensuring we get local accidentally vegan tapas dishes, such as local greens and aubergine fritters. Be careful ordering things like dolmades and gemista, these might contain meat if you aren’t clear, but there’s no language issues and most people I’ve encountered know what vegan means.

In Corfu in 2017 we stayed at Paleokastritsa which was very limited in places to eat. However, we dined every night at the gorgeous Gran Aladino and could’ve had a different meal every night if we chose, plus desserts including chocolate avocado mousse with squirty cream! We also had vegan ice creams in Muka Muka, Corfu Town.

I’ve holidayed and survived elsewhere, but these are the main places where we’ve eaten well.
Attachment.png

Reactions: seleanor
I holiday in Greece several times a year (apart from 2020 obviously) and things have come a huge way. I tend to holiday mostly in Pefkos, Rhodes, so will focus on that, there’s places there with specifically vegan dishes, some with whole menus, but I know you can also do well elsewhere on the island.

La Piazza does gorgeous eat in or take away pizza which can be made with Violife cheese and garlic bread with olive oil.

Most places do gemista and pasta arrabiata Or with veg. One of the restaurants (easily findable when you wander the main drag) has a separate menu with vegan stifado and about 4 other choices, everything we tried was delicious. This is a snapshot, but you’ll be able to negotiate something pretty much anywhere in this resort.

The supermarkets generally have dairy-free milk, Vitalite, spinach and potato pasties, Alpro yoghurts and milkshakes, pita breads, hummus, fruit, veg.

In Rhodes Town, my friend runs the veg/vgn restaurant To Marouli whilst also dedicating herself to the rescue and well-being of the island’s stray cat and dog population. Another friend who runs another of the island’s animal welfare charities lives in Lardos and takes us into the hills when we visit, ensuring we get local accidentally vegan tapas dishes, such as local greens and aubergine fritters. Be careful ordering things like dolmades and gemista, these might contain meat if you aren’t clear, but there’s no language issues and most people I’ve encountered know what vegan means.

In Corfu in 2017 we stayed at Paleokastritsa which was very limited in places to eat. However, we dined every night at the gorgeous Gran Aladino and could’ve had a different meal every night if we chose, plus desserts including chocolate avocado mousse with squirty cream! We also had vegan ice creams in Muka Muka, Corfu Town.

I’ve holidayed and survived elsewhere, but these are the main places where we’ve eaten well.
View attachment 367
Wow thank you so much for your comment! La Piazza sounds amazing I will definitely check it out, I think my friend would love it!! And I love that To Marouli is also an animal rescue. It's so nice to see more and more socially conscious restaurants around the world and especially in Greece. And you make such a good point! If anyone is vegan they should make sure that they know how to a few words in Greek so that there isn't any miscommunication

I have a vegan friend who is a bit nervous about traveling to Greece. Does anyone know if there are any vegan options, especially in the touristy spots? Thanks
I lived in Mykonos Greece for over 25 years and have travelled extensively....I have never had any problems in finding vegetarian food in restaurants.... Aubergine salad, Aubergine from the oven in tomatoes, potatoes and courgettes from the oven, abundance of salads, lady's fingers from the oven, potato salad,the list is endless...... Makes me want to go.... but we can't travel yet... Kalley Mera from Thailand...

I lived in Mykonos Greece for over 25 years and have travelled extensively....I have never had any problems in finding vegetarian food in restaurants.... Aubergine salad, Aubergine from the oven in tomatoes, potatoes and courgettes from the oven, abundance of salads, lady's fingers from the oven, potato salad,the list is endless...... Makes me want to go.... but we can't travel yet... Kalley Mera from Thailand...
Yeah salads are some of your best bet in Greece! Just ask for without feta

Reactions: Hash
I forgot the giant beans from the oven,Fava yellow lentil purée with raw onions and dash of olive oil and lemon 🍋...... beetroots in garlic and lemon juice.... potato salad with capers and parsley.... Oh the list is endless...then they will have their own island and regional dishes, stuffed tomatoes with courgettes and onions parsley and rosemary❤️

I forgot the giant beans from the oven,Fava yellow lentil purée with raw onions and dash of olive oil and lemon 🍋...... beetroots in garlic and lemon juice.... potato salad with capers and parsley.... Oh the list is endless...then they will have their own island and regional dishes, stuffed tomatoes with courgettes and onions parsley and rosemary❤️
Yess so true, always learn about island and regional dishes. They're some of the best in my opinon

Greek cuisine is plant-based. Even though there is meat available, the basis of the food is vegetable... you'll be able to find plenty of options no matter where you are. Fava, lentil soup, and Greek salad(horiatiki) are just a few of the things you need to try while in Greece.

Greek cuisine is plant-based. Even though there is meat available, the basis of the food is vegetable... you'll be able to find plenty of options no matter where you are. Fava, lentil soup, and Greek salad(horiatiki) are just a few of the things you need to try while in Greece.
A concern of mine is whether animal stock would be used. Do you know if that might be the case?

If you don't eat meat, Hellas is the best country for vegans to visit, the Greeks will serve you vegan lamb.

If you don't eat meat, Hellas is the best country for vegans to visit, the Greeks will serve you vegan lamb.
vegan lamb haha reminds me of my big fat greek wedding

Reactions: Hash and acamp7
Greece is known for its rich culinary traditions, which often include meat and dairy products. However, in recent years, there has been an increase in awareness and availability of vegan options, especially in popular tourist areas. While it may not be as prevalent as in some other countries, it is still possible to find vegan-friendly restaurants and dishes in Greece. Here are a few tips to help your vegan friend during their trip:
  1. Research and Plan: Encourage your friend to research vegan-friendly restaurants and cafes in the specific areas they plan to visit. Online resources like HappyCow and VegTravelGuide can be helpful in finding vegan options.
  2. Greek Cuisine: Although Greek cuisine traditionally includes meat and dairy, there are some vegan-friendly dishes to look out for. Classic options include dolmades (stuffed grape leaves), gigantes plaki (giant beans in tomato sauce), fasolada (bean soup), and horta vrasta (boiled greens).
  3. Local Markets: Your friend can explore local markets, known as laiki agora, where they can find an abundance of fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, and grains. These markets can be a great place to pick up ingredients for a vegan meal or snack.
  4. Communicate Dietary Needs: It's important for your friend to communicate their dietary preferences clearly when dining out. Phrases like "I am vegan" or "I don't eat meat, dairy, or eggs" in Greek can be useful. While not everyone may understand veganism, expressing dietary restrictions in a clear and respectful manner can help ensure they receive suitable options.
  5. Accommodation with Kitchenette Essen für Veganer: If your friend has the option, they might consider booking accommodation with a kitchenette. This way, they can prepare their own meals using local ingredients and have more control over their food choices.
  6. Be Open to Adaptation: It's worth noting that veganism is still relatively new in Greece, so some understanding and flexibility may be required. They may need to be open to adapting certain dishes or finding creative solutions with the available options.
By taking these steps, your vegan friend should be able to find suitable vegan options in Greece and enjoy their trip.

Greece is known for its rich culinary traditions, which often include meat and dairy products. However, in recent years, there has been an increase in awareness and availability of vegan options, especially in popular tourist areas. While it may not be as prevalent as in some other countries, it is still possible to find vegan-friendly restaurants and dishes in Greece. Here are a few tips to help your vegan friend during their trip:
  1. Research and Plan: Encourage your friend to research vegan-friendly restaurants and cafes in the specific areas they plan to visit. Online resources like HappyCow and VegTravelGuide can be helpful in finding vegan options.
  2. Greek Cuisine: Although Greek cuisine traditionally includes meat and dairy, there are some vegan-friendly dishes to look out for. Classic options include dolmades (stuffed grape leaves), gigantes plaki (giant beans in tomato sauce), fasolada (bean soup), and horta vrasta (boiled greens).
  3. Local Markets: Your friend can explore local markets, known as laiki agora, where they can find an abundance of fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, and grains. These markets can be a great place to pick up ingredients for a vegan meal or snack.
  4. Communicate Dietary Needs: It's important for your friend to communicate their dietary preferences clearly when dining out. Phrases like "I am vegan" or "I don't eat meat, dairy, or eggs" in Greek can be useful. While not everyone may understand veganism, expressing dietary restrictions in a clear and respectful manner can help ensure they receive suitable options.
  5. Accommodation with Kitchenette Essen für Veganer: If your friend has the option, they might consider booking accommodation with a kitchenette. This way, they can prepare their own meals using local ingredients and have more control over their food choices.
  6. Be Open to Adaptation: It's worth noting that veganism is still relatively new in Greece, so some understanding and flexibility may be required. They may need to be open to adapting certain dishes or finding creative solutions with the available options.
By taking these steps, your vegan friend should be able to find suitable vegan options in Greece and enjoy their trip.
Great advice!....the easiest thing to do if a kitchenette is available to pop into the local supermarket and just buy onions, garlic, parsley,Tomatoes,(and purée).. Oregano,olive oil,salt and pepper, spaghetti....and there we have it....oh not to forget the wine!! 🤣....In all my years living in Mykonos and travelling I have never had any difficulties in eating vegetarian food....all Tavernas serve different varieties of vegetarian dishes which are normally eaten as side dishes.... mostly one can see them as they are on display,the servers are very helpful in explaining.... Kalley Mera from Thailand..... and finally after the most intensive heatwave for 4 months we have monsoon rain beginning... 🌧️ ..... you know after been through temperatures of 40°C+ .feel like 45°C....30°C at night it is the most pleasant feeling!

Most definitely yes... please read up !
I am just posting an example... Athens has abundance of restaurants going the Veganaki way.... Just search in Restaurants on TripAdvisor Greece ...... enter area..go to healthy options...!🤣

List of Interesting Places to Visit in Greece

I thought I would make a list of some great places in Greece. Some I've visited, some I'd like to visit. Any recommendations on what I should add to the list? Thanks!

1. Athens: Athens provides the perfect contrast to the beautiful island vibe of Greece. Athens is the capital city of Greece and boasts of enthralling ancient history. Athens indeed is a treasure trove of history, and it's a must-visit. You don't want to miss the world-famous Acropolis, the Temple of Olympian Zeus, and the National Archaeological Museum.

2. Santorini: If you're after stunning views and indulging in luxury, Santorini should be your next destination. Known for the iconic blue domes, Santorini is a volcanic island that provides a picturesque view of the sunset over the sea. It's an ideal destination for lovers and honeymooners to indulge in the island's romantic atmosphere.

3. Crete: Crete is the largest Greek Island full of culture, history, and food. The Island is famous for its beaches, nightlife, and delicious food. You can experience Greek hospitality at its finest, as Cretans are some of the friendliest people you'll meet.

4. Mykonos: Mykonos is a small island, but it's known for its vibrant nightlife, stunning beaches, and white-washed buildings. If you love partying and clubbing, then Mykonos is a place you should definitely tick off your bucket list. Don't miss experiencing the hazy atmosphere into the early hours of the morning.

5. Meteora: Meteora is a UNESCO world heritage site located in the northern region of Greece. It's known for the incredible rock formations and breathtaking monasteries that sit atop the rocks. If you're looking for a spiritual and serene experience, Meteora should be your top priority.

6. Delphi: Delphi is another significant cultural site located in Greece and is often called the center of the earth. It was once known as the navel of the world and holds great importance in Greek culture and history.

7. Rhodes: Rhodes is an exquisite island in Greece that is rich with history and charm. Known for its ancient history, Rhodes offers a picturesque view of rugged terrain that stands tall against the coastline.

8. Naxos: Less crowded than its neighboring islands, Naxos is a beautiful island that offers something for everyone. From crystal clear water to beautiful sandy beaches and a mild climate, it's a perfect location to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the world.

9. Corfu: Located in the Ionian Sea, Corfu is one of the greenest places in all of Greece. Corfu offers a relaxing atmosphere, and it's the perfect location to take a step back from the busy life and just enjoy the stunning view.

10. Hydra: If you're looking for a unique experience, Hydra should be on your list of places to visit in Greece. One of the most peaceful islands in Greece, Hydra is free of cars, and its unique bohemian vibe, stunning architecture, and tranquil surroundings make it a perfect destination.

Sustainable Travel to Greece?

I'm currently planning a trip to Greece and am passionate about making my travel as sustainable and eco-friendly as possible. Given the beauty and historical significance of Greece, I want to ensure that my visit contributes positively to the environment and local communities there.

Does anyone have any tips or experiences they could share on sustainable travel practices in Greece? I'm looking for advice on everything from eco-friendly accommodations, sustainable dining options, to ways of exploring the country that minimize my carbon footprint. Also, if there are specific activities or tours that support local conservation efforts or communities, I'd love to hear about those too!

Pack List for Trip to Greece in Spring

I have a trip to Greece planned in the spring. Mainly, I want advice on the weather. In the meantime, I made my best guess and came up with a list. Anything to add or subtract?

Clothing
  • A light rain jacket or windbreaker: For the inevitable April showers
  • A couple of long-sleeve shirts: For those cooler mornings
  • A lightweight sweater: For layering when temperature changes
  • A pair of comfortable pants: Think breathable fabrics like cotton, and a pair of jeans.
  • Shorts and a sundress: For warmer afternoons
  • Comfortable walking shoes: You’ll be exploring villages and ancient ruins, so cushioned soles are a must.
Accessories
  • A versatile scarf: Can double as a shawl on cooler evenings
  • A wide-brimmed hat: For sun protection
  • Sunglasses and sunscreen: Essential for beach days
  • Reusable water bottle: To stay hydrated without contributing more waste

When does tourist season end in Greece?

I am planning my next Greek trip.

I want to go in October but the people I am traveling with - we won't be able to to go until mid-October.

I have been to Crete that late in the year and to Athens, but not anywhere else. On our schedule is to visit some of the smaller islands, like Hydra.

Do places like that shut down? My main concern is, will the tourist shops be closed? I love to browse through them and it's part of my enjoyment.

Tips for visiting monasteries in Greece

While visiting the monasteries, remember you are in a sacred place. Dress modestly, with legs and shoulders covered, to show respect for the local customs and faith. Keep your voice low to preserve the peaceful ambiance and adhere to any photography restrictions to respect the privacy of the monks.

I've had some people ask me, so I thought I'd start a post about etiquette. If you are out taking tours and you don't dress properly, be sure to look for a scarf or skirt (for the ladies) that they may provide to make you respectable enough to enter the space. It's far better, though, to dress properly in your own wardrobe!

Loud talking is a no-no. It's also a good idea to observe Orthodox customs when entering the sacred space, even if you aren't Orthodox. Non-orthodox may venerate icons, light candles, submit prayer requests, etc.

Can anyone think of anything else to add?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back