1 - 5 of 5 Posts

mastichas09

Can you use different kinds of ground meat in Makaronia me Kima? I usually have only had it (outside of Greece) with beef. I've had it in Greece and it tastes different a little bit... is it possible it is a different meat? It didn't quite taste like lamb.

At home, can I use different meats? I don't always want to eat beef, but that is the easiest to find. I tried making it with ground turkey once and that was a disaster.

It was most likely ground beef. I have heard that pork mixed with beef gives it a better flavor, so it could have been that. Contrary to what people believe, Greeks don't eat lamb very often (it's mostly on Pascha and that's it).

Everything in Greece tastes different, which is why it's hard to replicate a recipe that will have the exact same taste that you experienced in Greece.

Last edited:
Can you use different kinds of ground meat in Makaronia me Kima? I usually have only had it (outside of Greece) with beef. I've had it in Greece and it tastes different a little bit... is it possible it is a different meat? It didn't quite taste like lamb.

At home, can I use different meats? I don't always want to eat beef, but that is the easiest to find. I tried making it with ground turkey once and that was a disaster.
Stick with beef, make sure the ground beef you use has over 20% fat (that is what will flavour the entire thing). If you feel more fat is needed, use butter not olive oil. Be generous with Black pepper, oregano and or Rosemary (whichever you prefer and use).

Reactions: mastichas09
Thank you both for chiming in. This is great advice. You guys are right, everything tastes different in Greece! I will definitely stick to beef. I ended up trying lamb and it tasted off.

I would definitely make this with beef - I don't think lamb would taste right!

Reactions: Yani48

Favorite Greek comfort foods?

I'm curious to know: what are your favorite Greek comfort foods?

Personally, I've heard a lot about moussaka and spanakopita, but I haven't had the chance to try them yet. Do you have any recommendations or recipes for these dishes? Or perhaps there are other less-known but equally delicious Greek comfort foods I should be aware of?

Looking forward to hearing your favorites and any tips you have for making or finding these comforting dishes!

Greek Grilled Pita Bread - A Recipe

I love to grill - it's that time of year! I grilled some souvlaki the other day and decide to also make some pita bread. I had the dough all prepped. It came out great and tasted good with the souvlaki. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:​

• 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (plus extra for dusting)
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water (about 110°F)
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

Instructions:​

1. Activate the Yeast:
    • In a small bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Stir gently and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes until it becomes frothy.
  2. Prepare the Dough:
    • In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt.
    • Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the yeast mixture and olive oil.
    • Mix with a wooden spoon or your hands until the dough starts to come together.
  3. Knead the Dough:
    • Transfer the dough onto a floured surface.
    • Knead the dough for about 8-10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour as needed.
  4. First Rise:
    • Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning it to coat all sides with oil.
    • Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm place for about 1-2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
  5. Shape the Pitas:
    • Once the dough has risen, punch it down to release any air.
    • Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and shape each piece into a ball.
    • On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball into a circle about 1/4 inch thick.
  6. Second Rise:
    • Place the rolled-out dough circles on a lightly floured surface or baking sheet.
    • Cover them with a clean kitchen towel and let them rise for about 20-30 minutes.
  7. Grill the Pitas:
    • Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
    • Place the pitas on the grill and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until they are puffed up and have nice grill marks.
    • If you prefer, you can also cook them in a cast-iron skillet or on a griddle over medium-high heat.

Greek Rice Pudding Recipe

I love Greek-style rice pudding! My family used to make this all the time but got away from it. It's one of my favorite desserts! Thought I would share my recipe.

Ingredients:​

• 1 cup short-grain rice (such as Arborio)
  • 4 cups water
  • 4 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • Pinch of salt
  • Ground cinnamon for garnish

Instructions:​

1. Rinse the Rice:
    • Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear. This helps to remove excess starch.
  2. Cook the Rice:
    • In a large pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
    • Add the rice and a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the rice is partially cooked. Drain any excess water if necessary.
  3. Simmer with Milk:
    • Add the 4 cups of whole milk and the cinnamon stick to the pot with the rice.
    • Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
  4. Sweeten and Flavor:
    • Once the mixture reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30-40 minutes or until the rice is tender and the mixture has thickened.
    • Stir in the sugar and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes, until the sugar is fully dissolved and the pudding has thickened to your desired consistency.
  5. Add Vanilla:
    • Remove the pot from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
  6. Cool and Serve:
    • Remove the cinnamon stick.
    • Pour the rice pudding into individual serving dishes or a large serving bowl.
    • Let it cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until well chilled.

List of Famous Greek Chefs?

I'm looking to explore the world of Greek cuisine and would love to get a list of famous Greek chefs. Who are the top chefs in Greece known for their exceptional culinary skills and contributions to Greek gastronomy?

I'd appreciate any recommendations, whether they are well-known for traditional dishes or modern takes on Greek food.

Thanks in advance! Content can be in Greek or English too.

Tips for Baking Greek Bread?

Does anyone have any tips or secrets for baking Greek bread at home? Here are a few specific areas where I could use some advice - I am new to baking bread, and most Greek breads I have had taste different than other breads I've had - so I am guessing there are nuances I need to learn.
  1. Are there specific types of flour or yeast that are essential for authentic Greek bread?
  2. Any particular methods that work best for achieving the right dough consistency?
  3. How long should the dough be left to rise, and are there any tricks to getting the perfect rise?
  4. Ideal oven temperature and baking times?
  5. Any traditional additives or spices that can elevate the bread?
I appreciate any insights or experiences you all could share!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back