1 - 5 of 5 Posts

toniiv

When I went to Greece I didn't see chicken much. I saw pork, goat, lamb, beef, and turkey the most, but I did see some chicken.

What types of meat are most popular? Does it depend on the region?

Mostly, I saw a TON of seafood last time I was there.

Pork and chicken. Greece is known for having really good pork.

Lamb and goat is actually not as wide spread unless you're in tourist locations. Greeks serve lamb for tourists because that's what they expect, but in reality, Greeks only eat lamb on Easter.

As far as seafood goes, none of it is fresh unless it's next to the sea. If you can't see the sea then you don't eat seafood, unless you're okay with eating frozen seafood. The reason people in Athens (and other cities on the sea) have trouble finding fresh seafood is because Greece doesn't allow commercial fishing the way the USA does, so you have small family owned businesses going out and catching what they can and then selling it.. because they don't catch as much as commercial fishermen, the fresh fish gets bought out very quickly, so now you're back to eating pork or chicken if you're on the mainland. On the islands there is more of a mix of seafood in your diet than on the mainland.

I have memories from the tiny island of Paxos where the chicken truck, filled to the brim with squawking birds, arrived in the village each week. My young daughter was horrified having only seen it previously, packaged in the supermarket. ellinasgolfer 0320 - great answer!

Lamb and goat are quite popular meats in Greece and are commonly featured in various dishes. Dishes like souvlaki (skewered and grilled meat), gyros (rotisserie-cooked meat), and moussaka (a layered casserole) often use lamb or goat meat. Chicken is indeed less prevalent than some of the other meats you mentioned, but it's still a part of Greek cuisine. You can find dishes like chicken souvlaki, and chicken-based stews, and if you're looking for a different preparation, you can even make delicious Greek chicken thighs in oven.

Last edited:
Lamb and goat are quite popular meats in Greece and are commonly featured in various dishes. Dishes like souvlaki (skewered and grilled meat), gyros (rotisserie-cooked meat), and moussaka (a layered casserole) often use lamb or goat meat. Chicken is indeed less prevalent than some of the other meats you mentioned, but it's still a part of Greek cuisine. You can find dishes like chicken souvlaki, and chicken-based stews, and if you're looking for a different preparation, you can even make delicious Greek chicken thighs in oven.
No, they are not. You will not find lamb in a gyros or souvlaki. Just about every single souvlatzidiko you visit in Greece will only offer pork or chicken souvlakia/gyroi. I don't like to gate keep, but this is just wrong, especially for goat because even less people eat goat. Anyone who has ever lived in Greece knows this, and for some reason, people who were raised "Greek" and have never lived in Greece think Greeks love to eat lamb and goat as part of their regular diet, and it's just not true. The truth is that most people who claim to be Greek outside of Greece know little to nothing about the country (culture, food, language, everyday life) and misinformation gets spread all over the internet.

Last edited:

Salt Cod in Greek Cooking?

How is salt cod, or Bakaliaros, used in Greek cooking? I remember my grandmother using it and I forget for what...

Could anyone share what specific dishes in Greek cuisine feature salt cod as the key ingredient? How is it typically prepared and served in Greece? Are there any traditional recipes or unique cooking methods that highlight the flavor and texture of salt cod in Greek cooking? I know a lot of other cultures use it, too.

I believe understanding the culinary uses of salt cod in Greece could offer deeper insights into the country’s culture and traditions. Plus, it would be great to try and replicate some of these dishes at home!

Creative ideas for Easter lamb leftovers?

We cooked too much Easter lamb than we needed and have a ton leftover. I am sure I am not the only one! I am brainstorming ways to use the leftovers. Do you guys have anything to add?

1. Gyros with lamb (Tzatziki and all the trimmings!)
2. Lamb sandwiches
3. Stir fries
4. Lamb in rice and tomato sauce
5. Wraps
6. Omelets and scrambles (think steak and eggs, but with Greek flavors and of course lamb instead of steak)

grilled-lamb-chops.jpg

What foods go best with ouzo?

I am curious - what goods go best with Ouzo? Traditionally, I don't actually pay attention.

From my understanding, Ouzo is traditionally enjoyed with small plates, similar to tapas, known as "mezedes" in Greece. Yet, I’m eager to hear from those who have either traveled to Greece or have an in-depth knowledge of Greek cuisine about what specific dishes you think would pair best with Ouzo. Are there specific flavors or types of dishes (seafood, meats, vegetables) that enhance the experience of sipping Ouzo?

Drinking Olive Oil: Health and Beauty Elixir or Celebrity Fad?

This will I hope generate a healthy discussion amongst the readership here!I have been drinking Pure Olive oil 0.3% Acidity (Not cheap!) for many years, not everyday as I alternate with Pure Organic Sesame oil and Organic first pressed Coconut oil as well....and I also forget to be honest even when all the bottles are staring at me!!😁😁... Since there are many members here I am interested to hear how many drink olive oil and the benefits to their wellbeing?!.... Kalley Mera from Thailand and a heatwave no one can imagine for 5 months without a drop of rain!
https://greekreporter.com/2024/05/0...Reporter+Daily+News+Simple&utm_term=Read+More

Learning about Greek food and wine pairing

I've recently developed a fascination with Greek wines and am eager to explore their potential pairings with various cuisines. Greek wines, with their rich history and unique grape varieties, offer a tantalizing range of flavors that I believe can complement a wide array of dishes beautifully. However, my experience in effectively pairing these wines is somewhat limited, and I would greatly appreciate any advice or insights from those more familiar with this area.

Particularly, I'm interested in understanding which types of Greek wines (white, red, or rosé) pair best with specific dishes or cuisines. Here are a few specific questions I have in mind:
  1. Assyrtiko: Known for its crisp acidity and citrus notes, which dishes would best highlight Assyrtiko's characteristics?
  2. Agiorgitiko: Often described as smooth and velvety, what kinds of meals would complement this type of red wine?
  3. Xinomavro: With its robust tannins and complex flavor profile, what are the best food pairings to balance its intensity?
  4. Retsina: Given its unique pine resin flavor, are there particular foods that match well with this traditional wine?
Additionally, I'm curious if there are any general rules of thumb when it comes to pairing Greek wines with dishes from other culinary traditions outside of Greek cuisine.

Thank you!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back