1 - 5 of 5 Posts

redsoxdw_

I just stumbled upon a great souvlaki restaurant that had mushrooms instead of meat! It's called Street Souvlaki (Κατάστημα Ακτή Μιαούλη) in Pireas, if you're passing by, definitely check it out. This is a great option for tourists that are vegan. You can also find recipes to make it at home, but it tasted so good that I imagine it might be hard to replicate. Here is a link to one that I think will taste the same.

Vangelis

Good tip. I didn't know about this one. If you want to compare with a street souvlaki place near the centre of Athens that is all vegan try this: Cookoomela Grill

francescool

Good tip. I didn't know about this one. If you want to compare with a street souvlaki place near the centre of Athens that is all vegan try this: Cookoomela Grill
Wow 4.8 reviews, that's great thanks for the recommendation

Reactions: Vangelis

Laura48

If you can get it, Oatly vegan Greek yoghurt makes amazing tzatziki.

k_tsoukalas

This is interesting. I love mushrooms, I might try this! Mushrooms have a kind of "meaty" flavor!

Shrimp pasta is a Greek classic

This dish might technically not be Greek, but it is loved by Greeks around the country and served at almost every Greek restaurant. The pasta is cooked in a seafood broth and the sauce is a mixture of tomato sauce and cream. The dishes topped with lovely Parmesan cheese!! 😊 One of my favorites.

F03E2C6E-1C85-47A8-92BE-030DBF4D6C04.jpeg

Have you ever tried shrimp dolmadakia?

Shrimp dolmadakia are a lesser known dish that is made locally in the Ionian islands. The flavor is very similar to those made with beef since they both use tomato sauce and aromatic herbs. The only difference is that there is a strong seafood taste, as they are cooked in a seafood broth. These ones here are made in an abstract shape and topped with lemon sauce. It’s a super unique dish that I definitely recommend you try if you ever see these on the menu.

5FD88351-B1D5-4DE5-97E8-A4BBE3992EF0.jpeg

How to make olive bread

Olive bread is absolutely fantastic, and it upgrades every bread recipe. If you already have a bread recipe that you like, all you need to do is add olives to the dough. Kalamata olives are the classic, but any olives will do. The olives don't change the consistency of the bread, or mess up any of the chemistry and existing recipes. Here is an olive bread recipe that I use and that I really like. :)

Strapatsada is Greeces tasty egg dish

This dish is fantastic! I saw it on the menu for the first time and had to try it. It’s super simple, just eggs and tomato scrambled with feta cheese on top. The name of the dish sounds italian but I’m not sure if it’s origins. I love it and will definitely be making it at home.
4FEDEE90-22E0-445B-A510-963C043E3C86.jpeg

How to make simple Greek salad dressing

Greek salad dressing is so simple! That's why I don't recommend that people buy it at the store. Making it at home is much cheaper, and also much healthier. First, you need to start with one cup of olive oil, half a cup of lemon juice, half a cup of red wine vinegar, and mix it all together. Then, add half of a cooked and chopped garlic clove and salt and pepper to taste. The recipe is really that simple. It can last a very long time and doesn't need to be refrigerated.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter