1 - 4 of 4 Posts

nadellii

This dish might technically not be Greek, but it is loved by Greeks around the country and served at almost every Greek restaurant. The pasta is cooked in a seafood broth and the sauce is a mixture of tomato sauce and cream. The dishes topped with lovely Parmesan cheese!! 😊 One of my favorites.

F03E2C6E-1C85-47A8-92BE-030DBF4D6C04.jpeg

Reactions: toniiv
I agree, this is delicious. Though it's not traditionally Greek, it has all the traditional flavors. Versions in other countries, like Italy, do taste a little different. So in Greece, the dish took on a new life! Looks so good!

This dish looks delicious. I think it might have Italian roots?

This dish looks delicious. I think it might have Italian roots?
I am not sure, but it is fairly unique - I haven't seen it before in other places in Greece, but I love it!

Greek Lenten Foods?

Lent is coming up. I find myself planning for fasting... I tend to cut out meat and dairy, and then I obey a strict fast during Holy Week.

I would like recommendations on Greek lenten foods. I'm particularly interested in dishes that are traditionally consumed during this period, which abstain from meat and dairy products. I'd love to learn not just about the types of dishes but also a bit about the significance or history behind them if you happen to know.

Any recipes, cooking tips, or even restaurant suggestions where I can find authentic Greek lenten dishes would be greatly appreciated. I’m excited to broaden my culinary horizons and perhaps incorporate some of these traditions into my own practices.

Favorite Greek Seafood?

I love Greek cuisine! I have learned that it many regions in Greece, seafood is a big part of the culinary traditions.

This got me thinking, and I'm curious to know—what's your favorite Greek seafood dish? Do you also have a favorite fish that you like to eat?

I'm eager to hear about your experiences and preferences!

Thanks in advance ...

What are your favorite vegetarian foods in Greek cooking?

Greek cooking is renowned for its \use of fresh herbs, vegetables, and grains, making it a paradise for those who prefer plant-based meals. Yet, when we think of Greek cuisine, dishes like gyros and souvlaki often take the spotlight. But there's so much more to Greek food than meat-centric dishes, and I'm on a quest to discover your favorite vegetarian delights that Greece has to offer!

From the creamy delicacies such as fava and tzatziki to hearty mains like gemista (stuffed tomatoes and peppers) and spanakopita (spinach pie), I'm eager to learn about the dishes you've fallen in love with. Perhaps you have a cherished recipe passed down through generations, a memorable meal from a trip to Greece, or even a favorite Greek vegetarian dish you've mastered at home.

Feel free to share your thoughts! My personal favorites are lentil soup, spanakorizo, and tzatziki (but this isn't a vegan choice)... I know some vegetarians can have dairy.

Thanks in advance!

Choosing a Greek Olive Oil to Use for Cooking

I've recently become fascinated with the nuances of cooking oils, specifically Greek olive oil, and I'm curious about how others go about selecting the right one for their cooking needs. With its renowned flavor profile and health benefits, Greek olive oil is a staple in my kitchen. However, with so many varieties and flavor strengths (from robust to mild), I often find myself overwhelmed by the choices.

I have a great olive oil that I use as a finisher or to put on salad. I love the flavor so much. I only have a small quantity, though. So, I want to preserve it. In other words, I don't want to use it for cooking, I think it will ruin it.

How do I really choose a Greek olive oil to cook with?

greek-olive-oil.jpg

How to Make Greek Yogurt at Home?

I have a yogurt machine and have been making yogurt with varying degrees of success. I decided I wanted to try making Greek yogurt! Now what? Some questions:

• What kind of milk should I use?
  • What starter should I use?
  • Do I have to strain it?
I can't think of anything else to ask. I am also thinking of calling the yogurt machine company and asking them...

greek-yogurt.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back