1 - 12 of 12 Posts

dpappas87

I love drizzling some olive oil, oregano, salt, pepper, lemon, garlic and rosemary!! Best dish ever

roasted-vegetables-768x509.jpg

I love this! So simple! I would love to add sweet potato as well :)

Love it! Also another dish I like is briam and even better is a dish called tourlou (a local traditional dish in some areas of Peloponisos) which is similar to briam but with boiled vegetables - it has a more refined taste. I first had this dish at a restaurant in Athens called Οψοποιείν on Ippokratous street.

Reactions: acamp7
I do a version of this, except I tend to use oregano, fresh if I have it growing. I've also made "briam". On hot days in the summer, the last thing I want to do is roast vegetables in the oven, so I tend to gravitate towards making my vegetables on the stovetop. My favorite is to make them with a combination of green beans, summer squash, and zucchini. Served with rice pilaf, it even makes for a nice, light supper.

Reactions: Vangelis and acamp7
I do a version of this, except I tend to use oregano, fresh if I have it growing. I've also made "briam". On hot days in the summer, the last thing I want to do is roast vegetables in the oven, so I tend to gravitate towards making my vegetables on the stovetop. My favorite is to make them with a combination of green beans, summer squash, and zucchini. Served with rice pilaf, it even makes for a nice, light supper.
How do you make vegetables on the stovetop?

I love drizzling some olive oil, oregano, salt, pepper, lemon, garlic and rosemary!! Best dish ever

View attachment 424

This is pretty much how I make it, too. I sometimes take the extra step to make a ladolemono and pour a little over the vegetables before baking, but I don't always take the extra step:

How do you make vegetables on the stovetop?
I saute a chopped onion or (or I use a half a chopped onion if I don't have a lot of vegetables to use) and then add the vegetables, a little water, and either some chopped tomato or a little tomato sauce or tomato space. I always season it with some oregano. If I have them, I stir in chopped fresh garden scallions just before serving.

Reactions: dubai_suzie
I saute a chopped onion or (or I use a half a chopped onion if I don't have a lot of vegetables to use) and then add the vegetables, a little water, and either some chopped tomato or a little tomato sauce or tomato space. I always season it with some oregano. If I have them, I stir in chopped fresh garden scallions just before serving.
Scallions are always a must!! And they look so great as a garnish :)

Reactions: redsoxdw_
Scallions are always a must!! And they look so great as a garnish :)
I agree, and I sometimes use chives instead if I have those. But, I like the taste of scallions in this much better.

I agree, and I sometimes use chives instead if I have those. But, I like the taste of scallions in this much better.
I’ve never heard of chives. Do they use them in Greece?

I’ve never heard of chives. Do they use them in Greece?
Yes they do! I saw chives growing in pots on balconies. It kind of looks like regular lawn grass, but it has a slight oniony flavor. Chives are best used as a garnish.

Reactions: tomipark
Yes they do! I saw chives growing in pots on balconies. It kind of looks like regular lawn grass, but it has a slight oniony flavor. Chives are best used as a garnish.
Yes, best as a garnish. They don't have a super strong flavour

How to learn about different regional cuisines in Greece?

I have learned so much about Greek cuisine by being on this forum! I know that there are standard recipes that everyone seems to cook.

For example, you can get souvlaki all over. Everyone seems to serve a village salad with slight variations. Most regions seem to make moussaka. There are tons of others.

I have also noticed that each region has their own specialties. How do you go about learning about them?

greek-salad.jpg

Making traditional loukaniko question

I’m on a culinary quest to master the art of making Loukaniko, the traditional Greek sausage that tantalizes taste buds with its savory blend of spices and herbs. I understand that each region and even each family might have their own special recipe passed down through generations.

Which leads me to my ask - could anyone who’s familiar with Greek cuisine share insights about the most common seasonings used in Loukaniko? I'm especially interested in any mix of spices that gives it that characteristic flavor profile.

I’ve done some preliminary research, but I’m looking for that firsthand knowledge. What's the blend that makes your Loukaniko stand out? Are there any particular secrets to perfect the authentic taste?

Mediterranean Diet Tied to Lower Blood Pressure, Greek Study Shows!

Stuffed grape leaves - how much filling?

I haven't made stuffed grape leaves in a while and I have some questions.

First of all, I am having a hard time judging how much filling to put in each leaf? I have a friend who helped me and tried to explain. She'd put a teaspoon of filling in the leaf, then add or subtract more after looking at it. She's quick rolling, and I have no idea how she knows how much filling.

And she really couldn't explain it - just said that you have to look at it and it's by feel. It sounds like my yiayia and she's younger than me! I told her that and she just shrugged. She tried to talk me through it as we were rolling together but it seemed so random to me.

Traditional Greek soups in Greece?

Most of the Greeks I know are from the United States - so it's been a few generations since a lot of them spent extended time in Greece.

From what I understand, Greek cuisine kind of changes. From what I can tell, in the United States, the most popular soup is Egg and Lemon soup (avgolemono) but in Greece, I don't see to as much or rather, hear of it as much.

What are the most popular soups in Greece?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back