1 - 6 of 6 Posts

acamp7

These donkeys are famous! Hailing back from before Santorini was the biggest tourist hotspot, donkeys were used by locals to transport themselves and their goods up the hilly Santorini mountainside. Today, you may see a few donkeys used for these purposes but for the most part they are used for tourists to take a tour of the island.
9A8A39F1-280D-4B9A-9567-4BAFA018DB45.jpeg

They are famous and it is a memorable experience taking a donkey to the top. My first time, I had a bit of a meltdown because my animal kept getting close to the wall - but it is perfectly safe, I just didn't understand Greek well enough to know what was going on.

Reactions: dimi_pat
They are famous and it is a memorable experience taking a donkey to the top. My first time, I had a bit of a meltdown because my animal kept getting close to the wall - but it is perfectly safe, I just didn't understand Greek well enough to know what was going on.
Hahaha that’s unfortunate!! Yes, the donkeys have been doing this for years

Hahaha that’s unfortunate!! Yes, the donkeys have been doing this for years
LOL - in thinking it through after it was all over, I realized the donkeys are good at what they do and are probably even used to tourists having meltdowns!

They were made for what they do! The last donkey I rode in Greece was actually very sweet. She kept nuzzling my foot! So adorable.

They were made for what they do! The last donkey I rode in Greece was actually very sweet. She kept nuzzling my foot! So adorable.
Ha ha, that is really sweet. I hope I encounter one like that!

Dealing with the crowded sunset on Oia

I tried to see the sunset on Oia - I was only there for a day. It was sooo crowded it was nuts.

I do want to give Santorini another chance but I need help finding a different sunset spot. I ended up watching the sunset by a dumpster - and it felt good enough.

I just don't know what to do - there was NO WAY I was going to be able to see it in Oia with how many people there were.

Is Santorini too crowded?

I have some friends who just got back from a trip to Greece. They spent several days in Santorini and said that it was so crowded, they had a hard time enjoying it - They went to Oia. When I see photos of the island, it looks beautiful and peaceful! I have been to Greece several times, but never to Santorini, so I was thinking of going soon.

It's early in the season and it's already very busy, according to my friends. This isn't a good sign. What do you think - is Santorini too crowded? Should I not bother? I won't be going until August or so.

Looking for Museums and Galleries to Visit on Santorini

I'm planning a trip to the enchanting island of Santorini, Greece, and am keen on immersing myself in the local art scene and history. Santorini is renowned not only for its breathtaking sunsets and stunning landscapes but also for its rich cultural tapestry. I aim to soak up as much of this cultural richness as possible during my visit.

In preparation for this adventure, I'm reaching out to this knowledgeable community for recommendations on must-visit museums and art galleries on the island. I'm interested in both well-known spots and hidden gems that capture the essence of Santorini's history, art, and culture.

Additionally, if anyone has insights on the best times to visit these spots to avoid crowds or to participate in any special events or exhibits, that would be wonderfully helpful.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences and recommendations. I look forward to exploring Santorini’s cultural treasures and creating unforgettable memories on this trip!

Can you spend a week in Santorini?

I will be going to Greece next year and someone I am traveling with is obsessed with photos of Santorini and wants to go.

From what I can gather, most people say just to spend a few days and then move on, but this person is pushing for a longer stay.

Is there enough to do on Santorini so that spending a week or more makes sense? She wants to enjoy the sunsets, the food (I heard the food is better in other parts of Greece), and beaches (I also heard that there aren't as many beaches).

Don't get me wrong, I think it looks lovely, I just feel deep down that a week might be too long.

Hotel in Santorini with a view like this?

My wife and I are going to Santorini soon. We usually stay with people, but they don't live on the caldera like this.

I thought it would be a nice treat to stay somewhere for a few days that his this kind of a view!

I know there are some great caldera-perched places in Oia. I know they're expensive but they seem worth it.

Anyone have any recommendations?

santorini-greece.jpg
Share and discuss Santorini photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back