1 - 6 of 6 Posts

acamp7

These donkeys are famous! Hailing back from before Santorini was the biggest tourist hotspot, donkeys were used by locals to transport themselves and their goods up the hilly Santorini mountainside. Today, you may see a few donkeys used for these purposes but for the most part they are used for tourists to take a tour of the island.
9A8A39F1-280D-4B9A-9567-4BAFA018DB45.jpeg

They are famous and it is a memorable experience taking a donkey to the top. My first time, I had a bit of a meltdown because my animal kept getting close to the wall - but it is perfectly safe, I just didn't understand Greek well enough to know what was going on.

Reactions: dimi_pat
They are famous and it is a memorable experience taking a donkey to the top. My first time, I had a bit of a meltdown because my animal kept getting close to the wall - but it is perfectly safe, I just didn't understand Greek well enough to know what was going on.
Hahaha that’s unfortunate!! Yes, the donkeys have been doing this for years

Hahaha that’s unfortunate!! Yes, the donkeys have been doing this for years
LOL - in thinking it through after it was all over, I realized the donkeys are good at what they do and are probably even used to tourists having meltdowns!

They were made for what they do! The last donkey I rode in Greece was actually very sweet. She kept nuzzling my foot! So adorable.

They were made for what they do! The last donkey I rode in Greece was actually very sweet. She kept nuzzling my foot! So adorable.
Ha ha, that is really sweet. I hope I encounter one like that!

Do the crowds feel better if actually staying in Santorini?

The last time I was in Santorini, it was off a cruise ship. There were other cruise ships that had ported that day, so the place was a zoo. I didn't even really like it!

Does Santorini feel different if you're actually staying there at least for a few nights, or is it always that crowded?

There was a long line to the cable car, a crushing crowd at sunsets, and in some shops, I couldn't even really walk through - there were too many people! Everyone was nice though, despite that.

Hotel in Santorini with a view like this?

My wife and I are going to Santorini soon. We usually stay with people, but they don't live on the caldera like this.

I thought it would be a nice treat to stay somewhere for a few days that his this kind of a view!

I know there are some great caldera-perched places in Oia. I know they're expensive but they seem worth it.

Anyone have any recommendations?

santorini-greece.jpg

Staying in Pyrgos?

Thank you to your advice, I am looking into staying in Pyrgos or other inland place that is slightly "off the beaten track" in Santorini to minimize some of the frustration of being in the crowds. We will be traveling during peak season.

Does anyone have an advice as to where to stay? As mentioned in a previous post, my wife is pushing for a Caldera hotel - but they're so expensive and we're traveling with the whole family. If I can find a compelling hotel that is more inland, it might work out for us to stay there. It doesn't have to be Pyrgos - but something similar would be good...

pyrgos-santorini.jpg

Dealing with the crowded sunset on Oia

I tried to see the sunset on Oia - I was only there for a day. It was sooo crowded it was nuts.

I do want to give Santorini another chance but I need help finding a different sunset spot. I ended up watching the sunset by a dumpster - and it felt good enough.

I just don't know what to do - there was NO WAY I was going to be able to see it in Oia with how many people there were.

Off the beaten track suggestions for Santorini?

I've been completely mesmerized by the postcard photos of Santorini, but beyond the blue domes and the sunsets of Oia, I'm looking to uncover some of the island's best-kept secrets. What do you suggest?

Have you stumbled upon any villages, beaches, or local haunts here that you loved? Or maybe historical sites too? I am just looking to do something different that what is typical.

Views like this wouldn't hurt!

santorini-greece.jpg
Share and discuss Santorini photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back