1 - 6 of 6 Posts

anonymous

A near to unknown God of greek mythology had come to attention, This God is the youngest of the Greek deity’s and may live among us today. T

His name is Somnios

the only source of information found about him is in a book underneath the temple of Apollo .
According to the scripture he is the son of Apollo and Apate
He is the God of bad dreams, Deception ( shared with his mother) Jealousy, double meanings, paranoia, negative thinking, paranormality, curses, spirits.
According to Apollo’s manuscript
Somnios lives today as a human and reincarnates when the the body dies

A near to unknown God of greek mythology had come to attention, This God is the youngest of the Greek deity’s and may live among us today. T

His name is Somnios

the only source of information found about him is in a book underneath the temple of Apollo .
He is the God of bad dreams, Deception ( shared with his mother) Jealousy, double meanings, paranoia, negative thinking, paranormality, curses, spirits.
This is very interesting and eerie. How interesting that we don't know much about him yet he is the god of so many bad things that go on in our own head. Sounds very fitting to me. Dreams are the most unknown and mystical things in my opinion.

His name is Somnios

Where did you hear about him?

His name is Somnios

Does he reincarnate? Where did ancient Greeks get this idea? We do: Look at most politicians and pseudo-philanthropists. (Dreams, whether good or bad, are deceptions to begin with.) //
And who is Morpheus? Wikipedia points out that, according to Ovid, Morpheus [so named in Latin] is one of the many sons of Somnius. So, the Somnios in question must be from an older myth, which has been largely forgotten. Thank you, Anonymous, for your post.

Last edited:

His name is Somnios

Please, I, too. would like to know where YOU found this information. Is the name/word "Somnios" an extant ancient Greek one? I have consulted some online Greek lexicons and unfortunately I have not found it. It's possible that somebody played a joke on readers by transposing the Latin "Somnius" (which is a translation of Hypnos) into that similar Greek word. When I entered it in online translators [to English, French, or Latin], the response was that they did not have a translation. // Thank you.

Please, I, too. would like to know where YOU found this information. Is the name/word "Somnios" an extant ancient Greek one? I have consulted some online Greek lexicons and unfortunately I have not found it. It's possible that somebody played a joke on readers by transposing the Latin "Somnius" (which is a translation of Hypnos) into that similar Greek word. When I entered it in online translators [to English, French, or Latin], the response was that they did not have a translation. // Thank you.
Correction: The Latin word that translates Hypnos is Somnus [which > Ital. Sonno]; the Latin Somnia (plural of Somnium) are the things/forms which are seen in dreams. The word Somnius literally means "Of Sleep" but was obviously used as a noun, and it corresponds to Gr. *Somnios, which, like Anonymous, is nowhere to be found and, threfore, seems to have been coined by a prankster from the look-alike Latin word.

Are there influences of Greek mythology in our modern culture?

I've been deeply fascinated by Greek mythology for as long as I can remember—its epic tales, deities, and heroes that have influenced countless aspects of Western culture. Recently, I've started to ponder more deeply about its presence and influence in our contemporary life and culture. From literature and movies to expressions and brands, it seems Greek mythology has woven itself into the very fabric of our daily experiences.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts and observations on this topic. Have you noticed any interesting or surprising ways Greek mythology manifests in today's society? Perhaps in ways we might not even immediately recognize due to how integrated they are?

12 Olympian Gods and Goddesses

I love mythology and I thought I'd make list of the 12 Olympian Gods and Goddesses. This is my best guess. Do you know that I have seen different versions of this? What do you think?
  1. Zeus: The king of the gods, ruler of the sky and thunder, and the god of law, order, and justice.
  2. Hera: The queen of the gods, Zeus's wife and sister, and the goddess of marriage and childbirth.
  3. Poseidon: The god of the sea, earthquakes, and horses, often depicted with a trident.
  4. Demeter: The goddess of agriculture, fertility, and the harvest, responsible for the cycle of life and death in crops.
  5. Athena: The goddess of wisdom, warfare, strategy, and crafts, often associated with strategic warfare and civilization.
  6. Apollo: The god of music, poetry, prophecy, healing, and archery, known for his wisdom and beauty.
  7. Artemis: The goddess of the hunt, wilderness, childbirth, and virginity, often depicted with a bow and arrows.
  8. Ares: The god of war, violence, and bloodshed, embodying the brutal aspects of conflict.
  9. Aphrodite: The goddess of love, beauty, pleasure, and procreation, born from the sea foam and known for her irresistible charm.
  10. Hephaestus: The god of fire, blacksmiths, craftsmen, and volcanoes, renowned for his skill in metalworking.
  11. Hermes: The messenger of the gods, associated with travel, commerce, communication, and trickery.
  12. Dionysus: The god of wine, fertility, ecstasy, and theatre, representing the joyous aspects of life and celebration.
greek-gods.jpg

Janus - God of Beginnings

I learned recently of Janus, the Roman God of Beginnings. The month January, I believe, is named after this God.

Many of the Roman Gods and Goddesses have Greek counterparts. Does Janus?

If so, I think that would be an interesting god to learn about. I have to be honest - I am not sure there is a counterpart. I have been searching but there either isn't enough information online, or there really is no equivalent.

Do you guys have any idea?

Mythological Roots of the Olympic Games

I've recently found myself deeply fascinated with how ancient myths and legends have influenced modern traditions and events, particularly those with a global following. Among these, the Olympic Games stand out as a prime example of ancient traditions influencing contemporary world culture. I'm eager to learn more about the mythological roots of the Olympic Games and thought this would be the perfect community to turn to for insights.

From what I understand, the origins of the Olympics are deeply intertwined with Greek mythology. The games were held in Olympia, a sanctuary site for Greek gods, and featured various competitions and rituals dedicated to Zeus, the sky and thunder god in ancient Greek religion. However, my knowledge of how these mythological aspects directly influenced the establishment and evolution of the Olympic Games feels quite superficial.

Afterlife Beliefs in Greek Mythology?

What did Ancient Greeks believe about the afterlife? I've heard a few different stories... I'm particularly drawn to Ancient Greece's take on life after death.

Was there a uniform belief system, or did it vary significantly among different cities or periods? How did their beliefs influence their daily life and practices? I'm also curious about the role of mythological figures like Hades and the concept of Elysium.

If anyone has any expertise, recommended readings, or can point me to resources where I might be able to gather detailed insights into these spiritual aspects of Ancient Greek culture, I would greatly appreciate it.
Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back