1 - 11 of 11 Posts

mastichas09

My girlfriend and I are thinking of taking a romantic trip around some Greek isalnds this summer after our trip to Italy. Do you have any ideas about what would be fun for couples?

Crete is beautiful, lots of historical charm, beautiful beaches, little villages and amazing food. My advise is don't go to this island if you only have a few days. It is really big and anything less than a week doesn't even put a dent in it! My favorite area is Chania and we usually stay near Falasarna.

I’m a foodie, so I love finding the best restaurants to visit and enjoy some great wine with my girlfriend. Greece can be super romantic. Here’s a pic of this amazing restaurant in Rethymo that we went to. When I went back last year it has closed :( I was so pissed.

dinner.JPG

• Love
Reactions: acamp7 and seleanor
My cousin went on a honeymoon to Crete last year and she went horseback riding on the beach. It looked super romantic, and it sounds like such a fun activity.

The best advice I can give you is to rent a car and drive around to all of the beautiful different destinations. Crete is a such a beautiful island full of some of the best nature that Greece has to offer but it’s public transportation is terrible!! Take your time to explore and drive down the coast :)

Reactions: Joni T.
If you like doing sporty things together, hike the Samaria Gorge! It's long, but mostly downhill (I think it might be 11 miles). Once you get down into the gorge, the views are stunning. Leave plenty of time to finish the hike, and drink plenty of water or electrolyte drink. There are water filling stations here and there on the hike, but honestly I would make sure you have enough water, just in case. Leave plenty of time to also explore the village. There is a nice, black sand beach at the end to lounge at, and you can also get a bite to eat. Don't miss the last ferry of the day or else you will be spending the night. Hiking in or taking a boat are the only ways in and out of the village.

Reactions: acamp7
Crete is amazing. Something for everyone. We've spent several weeks there, all told. We've explored from the east coast to the west coast and north to south, meandering through the villages in the mountain range in central Crete. Chania was wonderful, but our stay in Heraklion was also amazing. We'd hire a local cab driver for the day to bring us here and there. Family owned tavernas had the best food I've ever tasted in my life. Oh my! I'd love to return some day, Lord willing.

Reactions: acamp7
I am also a foodie ahaha. I like to eat my way through Greece, and everyone knows that the way to someones heart is through their stomach. Here's a pic of some amazing food I had in Crete.

CRETE FOOD.jpeg

I am also a foodie ahaha. I like to eat my way through Greece, and everyone knows that the way to someones heart is through their stomach. Here's a pic of some amazing food I had in Crete.

View attachment 98
My mouth is watering. Somehow their French fries are special too.

Hello,
I believe a "wine me, dine me" experience in Chania would be totally romantic. A private tour by a sommelier and wine expert at a local winery combined with amazing dinner under the stars would do it.

I would also recommend dinner at Tabakaria and Thalassino Ayeri for a cinematic scenery (it has been actually used as the setting for The Two Faces of January).

DSC3294.jpg

Favorite Things to Do In Crete

I was just thinking about Crete and how it's my favorite island. I thought I'd make a list of my favorite things to do:

** Chania - the Venetian Harbor Area
** Hiking all over, but Samaria Gorge is a favorite
** Touring the Minoan palaces - I love that part of history
** Visiting the beaches - so many great ones!
** The food is a highlight - so fresh and delicious - some unique dishes from the rest of Greece, too.

What are your favorites?

Visiting the Minoan Palaces on Crete Question

I am planning a trip to Crete, specifically to explore the ancient Minoan palaces, which have been on my bucket list for years. I've always been fascinated by the history and myths surrounding the Minoans, and I'm eager to see the remnants of this great civilization first-hand. However, I want to ensure that my trip is as enriching and smooth as possible, so I’m reaching out for some advice.

1. Best Time to Visit: When is the ideal time of year for visiting these sites in terms of weather and avoiding large tourist crowds?
  2. Must-See Palaces: Of course, the Palace of Knossos is at the top of my list, but I’d love to know if there are other Minoan palaces or sites that are equally worth exploring.
  3. Guided Tours vs. Solo Exploration: Are there benefits to opting for a guided tour of these palaces, or would I have a more personal and fulfilling experience exploring on my own?
  4. Transportation Tips: What's the best mode of transportation for getting around to these different sites? I'm wondering about rentals, public transportation, or any local tips on moving around the island.
  5. Local Insights: Any suggestions for local restaurants or cafes near these sites? I’m also interested in any cultural norms or tips that might help me respect and understand the local customs better.
Thanks in advance! I know there's a few - and Knossos Palace is one of them. There are others, like Malia. I would be interesting in seeing any of them because I am a history buff.

Too late to travel to Crete in December?

Is it too late to travel to Crete in December? I am going to visit some people for the holidays, but I also want to do some sightseeing.

Someone told me that Crete shuts down in October, but people still live there so it can't possibly be a ghost town.

What shuts down, exactly? Will I still be able to go to museums and stuff this time of year?

Favorite Museums on the Island of Crete

I love Crete - the history in particular fascinates me. I thought I'd share my favorite museums to visit. I am not usually a museum person, but these are interesting to me.

Heraklion Archaeological Museum

If you want to delve deep into Crete's ancient history, the Heraklion Archaeological Museum should be your first stop. This museum houses one of the most impressive collections of Minoan artifacts in the world, including pottery, jewelry, frescoes, and statues. I love learning about the Minoans!

Nikos Kazantzakis Museum

The Nikos Kazantzakis Museum is dedicated to the life and works of the famous Cretan writer and philosopher Nikos Kazantzakis. The museum is located in the village of Myrtia, where Kazantzakis was born and raised. This one is a quick one to go through, but is super interesting.

Historical Museum of Crete

The Historical Museum of Crete in Heraklion offers a comprehensive view of the island's history and culture from the early Christian era to the present day. The museum has exhibits on ancient and medieval Crete, the Cretan Renaissance, and the island's role in the Greek Revolution. The history of this island is pretty rich!

How long to spend on Crete?

I am going to Crete in the summer. How long should I spend? I have maybe two months in Greece. We don't get to Crete often - we also don't have anyone to visit. Here are some of my thoughts:

Finding a home base - Crete has so many wonderful towns and cities that can serve as your base for exploring the island. How do I do that? Any advice? I am thinking of either the Chania area or Heraklion - but maybe I should spend half the time in one place and half in another?

Historical sites - History is a passion so Crete seems the perfect place. With so many historical sites to see on the island, including museums and ancient ruins, it has made me feel like I need at least a few weeks on the island. I want to visit Knossos Palace at the very least, which means that Heraklion will be necessary.

Beaches - I also love beaches so this is a must. Some of the beaches near Chania look to be some of my best bets, but I am sure I can find beaches anywhere.

Samaria Gorge - I want to hike down through the Gorge. From what I understand, it is easier to access this from Chania?

I appreciate your thoughts!
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back