1 - 8 of 8 Posts

kcixcy

Hi everyone! My husband is Greek and I know name days are super important in the culture but I still don't really understand what they mean and what is their significance. Can someone explain it?

Firstly, how lucky are you being married to a Greek.
Your name day is a celebration and remembrance of the saints day, your Christian name,

• Haha
Reactions: Lenio and Joni T.
Your name day is a celebration and remembrance of the saints day, your Christian name,
Well said!

Well said!
Yup, it's such a huge deal that a lot of Greeks in Greece don't celebrate birthdays, but they celebrate Name Days as though they are birthdays. I know I had an uncle from Greece, and it was a given there was an Open House at his home on that day when we were all welcomed to drop by to wish him "Chronia Pola". ("many years."... Always plenty of food to be had. So many of our traditions are tied into religious practices...being Greek Orthodox is not only about the religion but also about the traditions of Greeks. One of our priests, a converted Southern Baptist came to Orthodoxy because of the richness of the religion, but he had no clue he'd sometimes get comments like "You aren't Greek?!!! It's my grandparents who were born in Greece, so I'm actually second generation, and I still cherish the traditions. Enjoy being married to a Greek, and if you ever have any questions on traditions or Greek cooking, check out. https://www.greekboston.com/
where there's a wealth of information on "anything Greek" As for the religion, I really think it should be called "Orthodox" not specifically Greek Orthodox...that confuses a lot of people.

Reactions: dpappas87
Yup, it's such a huge deal that a lot of Greeks in Greece don't celebrate birthdays, but they celebrate Name Days as though they are birthdays. I know I had an uncle from Greece, and it was a given there was an Open House at his home on that day when we were all welcomed to drop by to wish him "Chronia Pola". ("many years."... Always plenty of food to be had. So many of our traditions are tied into religious practices...being Greek Orthodox is not only about the religion but also about the traditions of Greeks. One of our priests, a converted Southern Baptist came to Orthodoxy because of the richness of the religion, but he had no clue he'd sometimes get comments like "You aren't Greek?!!! It's my grandparents who were born in Greece, so I'm actually second generation, and I still cherish the traditions. Enjoy being married to a Greek, and if you ever have any questions on traditions or Greek cooking, check out. https://www.greekboston.com/
where there's a wealth of information on "anything Greek" As for the religion, I really think it should be called "Orthodox" not specifically Greek Orthodox...that confuses a lot of people.
All of our Greek traditions are religious based.
If you want to be known as Orthodox only without the Greek then you should refer to yourself as an Eastern Orthodox Christian.

My 9 year old says it’s his Saints birthday :)haha

Reactions: dpappas87
There you how smart is your 9 year old. You 9 year old must be GREEK ORTHODOX!!!

Name days are a super special day! Its when we celebrate our names, which we were given when we were baptized, which is the day we were brought into the Greek religion. Everyone wishes you a happy name day, you get gifts, and you usually have a party or dinner to celebrate

Navigating Greek Lenten Fasting - Advice?

Lent is here and all my friends and family have been asking "what are you doing for lent this year?" They're all "giving something up" but I decided I wanted to fast. I would love your help and advice because this is the first time I am doing things in a stricter way. I resolve to see it through!

It's supposed to be a a time of reflection, purification, and preparation for the celebration of Easter, and the diet plays a significant part in this spiritual journey. I don't want to get so obsessed with the "rules" that I lose myself in them and forget why I am fasting int he first place.

Thanks in advance!

Greek Easter Family Traditions

I am curious what your family traditions are for Greek Easter. I know lent hasn't even started yet, but I've started doing some planning to make sure my family has all of its traditions all set. Sometimes it takes me a while to find ingredients for some of the foods I serve, etc.

Of course we spend Holy Week in church. We do our best to fast during Lent, and once Easter comes, it's all about serving our traditional dishes. This year I might spend part of lent in Greece to visit some religious sites.

What do you guys all do?

Netflix Show about Alexander the Great

I just noticed there was a show about Alexander the Great on Netflix. How is it?

I have been noticing some buzz that it's fairly controversial, but those who are unhappy about it ... I can't tell if they actually know about him, or if they are just upset about how he was depicted.

I am trying to figure out if I want to watch it so your honest reviews are welcome.

I have studied Alexander the Great a little bit and no a bit about his life, so I am sincerely hoping it's worth my time. I am between shows at the moment.

Advice about making Greek coffee

I've developed a fascination with Greek culture and cuisine, and one aspect I'm particularly eager to explore is Greek coffee. I've heard that it's a unique and delicious brew, but I'm not quite sure how to make it at home.

I understand that Greek coffee is traditionally prepared using a special pot called a briki, but beyond that, I'm a bit lost. What type of coffee grounds should I use, and how finely should they be ground? Are there any specific brands or blends that are favored for making Greek coffee?

I'm also curious about the brewing process itself. Is there a particular technique for achieving that rich, foamy texture that Greek coffee is known for? And what about serving suggestions? Are there any traditional accompaniments or customs that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Learning about hospitality in Greece

I was trying to explain to some non-Greek friends about hospitality in Greece. I feel like it's next level, but how do you explain it?

Could anyone help me explain any of the following:
  • Traditional welcome gestures in Greece
  • Common household customs when visiting a Greek home
  • Etiquette for showing appreciation to Greek hosts
  • Any specific do's and don'ts that a foreigner should be aware of
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back