1 - 4 of 4 Posts
I was browsing potential sites to visit in Corfu and I notices that Mon Repos Palace has very different architecture from different buildings in the area and Greece in general. As you can see it has a point at the entrance which I've never seen before. Does anyone know why this is?

mon-repos-palace-corfu-720x480.jpg

I am not sure who build it, but It was used as summer residence by the royal family of Greece (up until they were removed from power). Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh was born there in June 1921.

Reactions: cf_fraiser
I am not sure who build it, but It was used as summer residence by the royal family of Greece (up until they were removed from power). Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh was born there in June 1921.
No way that's crazy!! I had no idea that he was born there

It was originally constructed in 1826 by Frederic Adams, the British Commissioner. The palace was a special gift for Nina Palatianou, his Corfiot wife.

Island day trips from Corfu?

I'm currently planning a trip to Corfu and am eager to explore as much as I can in the surrounding areas. I am planning to stay put for the whole time I am in Greece, but I want to do a bit more besides visiting Corfu itself.

I'm particularly interested in:
  • Islands that are easily accessible from Corfu.
  • Recommendations for how to get there (ferry schedules, private boat hires, etc.).
  • Must-see sights or activities on these islands.
Also, if there are any local delicacies or specialties on these islands that I shouldn't miss, I'd love to hear about those too!

Prioritizing Things to Do in Corfu

I want to do the following in Corfu - problem is I only have a few nights. Any advice on how I can prioritize?

- Old fortress
- Canal d'Amour
- Meander though old town
- Paleolastritsa beach
- Casa Parlante
- Archaeological Museum
- Nightlife - whatever I can find

Is this too much for 3 nights?

Three Days or So in Corfu?

I was thinking of visiting Corfu over summer of 2024 and I am not sure how many days to stay. I was thinking that three days is a good amount, and that will enable me to visit other places in Greece (and other people - I have friends and family to visit).

Anyway 3 or 4 days really is ideal. But now, what to do? I have been watching a lot of content - there is some great travel content on YouTube and people love to visit Greece. Anyway, here is a great video:

Favorite beach in Corfu?

I have heard that Corfu is lovely and worth visiting. I love the beach, and I heard there are some great beaches here.

Do you have a favorite beach in Corfu?

I have heard great things about Paleokastritsa, Sidari, and Kontokali.

Also, is the island big? If I stay on the Western side, is it logical to be able to travel around, or should I go somewhere more centrally located?

Religious Sites to See on Corfu

There are a lot of churches and monasteries in Corfu and when I visit, I won't have a lot of time. What should be my priorities?

I am intrigued by the relics of Saint Spyridon but am having trouble finding where they are on the island. Is it simply called, the Shrine of Saint Spyridon?

I would love to visit some other churches and monasteries if possible. Any information you have will be good!
Share and discuss your Corfu photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back