1 - 18 of 18 Posts

mastichas09

This is such an annoying problem that I always run into! I visit friends in Kapandriti and it really isn't accessible any other way and buses are really a hassle with a bunch of suitcases. Is there any way around this fee? And is it with all taxis?

Reactions: Hash
It should be about 65-75 Euros but it is over 50 km, it is reasonable for a taxi in my opinion.
I don't know where you live, I live about 38 km from Sydney airport and I pay the equivalent of about 70-75 Euros.
I would rent a car if I was you, pick up at the airport and drop it back there when you fly out. You have the use of the car all the time you stay in Greece too.

All airport taxis must comply with the fixed rate charge of €38 to downtown Central Athens. The rate goes up if you’re traveling before 6 am or late at night. You can also take the 95 bus to Syntagma Square. I would not recommend the Metro if you’re dealing with luggage; this marks you as a tourist and an easy target for pick pockets.

Sorry…re-read your post. Since you’re not going to Central Athens, I agree with the car rental as previously stated.

All airport taxis must comply with the fixed rate charge of €38 to downtown Central Athens. The rate goes up if you’re traveling before 6 am or late at night. You can also take the 95 bus to Syntagma Square. I would not recommend the Metro if you’re dealing with luggage; this marks you as a tourist and an easy target for pick pockets.
This is the first time I've seen someone lay out all of the prices. Thank you! I was always so confused with why I was paying a little bit more when I always thought that taxis are generally cheaper in Greece than in other countries

Sorry…re-read your post. Since you’re not going to Central Athens, I agree with the car rental as previously stated.
Thanks for the advice!!

It should be about 65-75 Euros but it is over 50 km, it is reasonable for a taxi in my opinion.
I don't know where you live, I live about 38 km from Sydney airport and I pay the equivalent of about 70-75 Euros.
I would rent a car if I was you, pick up at the airport and drop it back there when you fly out. You have the use of the car all the time you stay in Greece too.
That's a good point, thank you. I just didn't know why they charged a bit extra from the airport. I guess it's standard

This is the first time I've seen someone lay out all of the prices. Thank you! I was always so confused with why I was paying a little bit more when I always thought that taxis are generally cheaper in Greece than in other countries
Well it depends what countries you are comparing with. Greece is a European country and as such you have to compare prices with Europe or other first world countries .
Taxi fares compare favourably with most others in Europe. Years ago pre EU Greece was much cheaper than the rest of Europe but joining EU and the Euro currency has changed all that .

Last edited:
That's a good point, thank you. I just didn't know why they charged a bit extra from the airport. I guess it's standard
Just like everywhere else there is a charge for Taxis picking up and dropping off at the airport, I think they charge them 3 Euro but not sure on the quantum.
How much would the Taxi fare be in your country for traveling the same distance? As I pointed out in Sydney Australia it is more expensive. Forget about parking at Sydney airport for even short a period, it is exorbitant.

Well it depends what countries you are comparing with. Greece is a European country and as such you have to compare prices with Europe or other first world countries .
Taxi fares compare favourably with most others in Europe. Years ago pre EU Greece was much cheaper than the rest of Europe but joining EU and the Euro currency has changed all that .
Very true, the euro plays a big role in why some things are higher priced in Greece than one would expect

Very true, the euro plays a big role in why some things are higher priced in Greece than one would expect
Having lived in Mykonos from the early 90s onwards I have witnessed the transformation of the Drachma into Euro which has driven the cost of living out of all proportions.I used to get 25% interest on my deposit when the inflation was running at 28%>>>>[relativity]...Cost of the frappe alone tripled!!!......Had they not manipulated the figures into Entry into European Union,I bet our Hellas would be much more stronger position today 'without'.... owing €160 Billion?... Life with the mighty Drachma was cheap and wanderful!.... Kalley Mera from Thailand.

Reactions: seleanor
Having lived in Mykonos from the early 90s onwards I have witnessed the transformation of the Drachma into Euro which has driven the cost of living out of all proportions.I used to get 25% interest on my deposit when the inflation was running at 28%>>>>[relativity]...Cost of the frappe alone tripled!!!......Had they not manipulated the figures into Entry into European Union,I bet our Hellas would be much more stronger position today 'without'.... owing €160 Billion?... Life with the mighty Drachma was cheap and wanderful!.... Kalley Mera from Thailand.
I completely agree, and this is something that I hear from many different people from all walks of life. It's a shame that many people in Greece can't actually afford to live there anymore. I wish that Greece can escape this mess one day, I'm really really hoping

I completely agree, and this is something that I hear from many different people from all walks of life. It's a shame that many people in Greece can't actually afford to live there anymore. I wish that Greece can escape this mess one day, I'm really really hoping
You know the price of fuel was nearly 4 fold, living on the small island the car consumes much more gasoline than on big roads.....to eat and going out with the days with 5000 Drachmas, staying out all night and coming home with some change came to an end overnight😂.... tourism industry collapsed in 2003/4/5....I couldn't believe the change in attitude and hotels empty all week except for affluent Greek Weekenders......we could hardly manage to fill less a third of the normal occupancy for Excursions....my rent increased by 50%>>>>>But even then after all this life was fantastic!👌❤️🤗..... Kalley Mera from Thailand!

Reactions: greek_ggirl
You know the price of fuel was nearly 4 fold, living on the small island the car consumes much more gasoline than on big roads.....to eat and going out with the days with 5000 Drachmas, staying out all night and coming home with some change came to an end overnight😂.... tourism industry collapsed in 2003/4/5....I couldn't believe the change in attitude and hotels empty all week except for affluent Greek Weekenders......we could hardly manage to fill less a third of the normal occupancy for Excursions....my rent increased by 50%>>>>>But even then after all this life was fantastic!👌❤️🤗..... Kalley Mera from Thailand!
Wow that is so interesting, for some reason I thought everything in Greece changed after the crisis, but I guess it was a slow change after the Euro.

Wow that is so interesting, for some reason I thought everything in Greece changed after the crisis, but I guess it was a slow change after the Euro.
From what I can gather, the changeover to the Euro was one of the items that caused the financial crisis in Greece. There was so much more to the whole thing and I don't know all the details, but certainly this didn't help.

I don't think you are alone with this opinion. I've spoken to a lot of Greeks who have said the same thing! I've been to Greece both before and after, and it is different now. It's still a lovely place, but it's just different than it was in the 90's. Thanks for sharing your insights!

Membership into the E.U. and the change to euro currency has not been kind to Greece. Yes, Greece got some new infrastructure (and multi-language road signs in English) but politically and economically I don’t think that Greece got the support it needed or expected from E.U. membership. For the people it meant many-times-over higher prices for their daily needs (even for a cup of coffee) and a lot of new regulations and conformity to E.U. policies that changed their traditional ways of doing business. For example instead of buying Greek-raised lamb, the E.U. might set up a contract with New Zealand or Australia. The Sicilian orange crop was left to ruin because the EU. designated Spain as the orange producer. Getting back to the taxis, however, I personally am glad that the taxi fare is regulated and that one knows what to expect. There is always the #95 airport bus into Central Athens if the taxi fare is too expensive. Both taxi and bus take about the same time, depending on traffic.

Reactions: d_kakavouli
Membership into the E.U. and the change to euro currency has not been kind to Greece. Yes, Greece got some new infrastructure (and multi-language road signs in English) but politically and economically I don’t think that Greece got the support it needed or expected from E.U. membership. For the people it meant many-times-over higher prices for their daily needs (even for a cup of coffee) and a lot of new regulations and conformity to E.U. policies that changed their traditional ways of doing business. For example instead of buying Greek-raised lamb, the E.U. might set up a contract with New Zealand or Australia. The Sicilian orange crop was left to ruin because the EU. designated Spain as the orange producer. Getting back to the taxis, however, I personally am glad that the taxi fare is regulated and that one knows what to expect. There is always the #95 airport bus into Central Athens if the taxi fare is too expensive. Both taxi and bus take about the same time, depending on traffic.
I totally agree, its a shame that Greece doesn't get the benefit from being in the union like other countries

Unique Photo Spots in Athens?

I will be traveling to Athens this year in the spring. What are some great photo spots throughout the city? Aside from what inspires me?

I have a bad habit of forgetting to take pics while away and I come back from the vacation with a random collection. This time, I want to do some advanced planning. Some of my ideas:

- Parthenon/ Acropolis - A shot with people and the Parthenon in the background
- Food photos - plenty of shots with people - and table shots - and of myself - eating the delicious food
- Monastiraki - This place is full of life - there could be some great candid shots

Do you guys have any ideas?

Churches to visit for Liturgy in Athens

I'll be in Athens soon, and I would like to go to church! I am trying to find a church that has liturgy that is preferably by my hotel. I am staying in the Plaka.

Do any pop you know if any of these are good?

Monastery of Daphni – The Monastery of Daphni is a UNESCO World Heritage Site located just outside of Athens.

Agios Nikolaos Rangavas Church – This church is located in the heart of Athens and is considered one of the most beautiful religious buildings in the city.

Metropolis Cathedral – The Metropolis Cathedral is the largest and most historic church in Athens, with a rich history that dates back over a thousand years.

The Church of the Holy Apostles – This Byzantine church dates back to the 10th century and is considered one of the best-preserved examples of Byzantine architecture in Greece.

St. Irene’s Church – St. Irene’s Church is located in the heart of Athens and is considered one of the oldest Byzantine churches in the city.

Interesting Museums I Like in Athens

Athens is rich with museums but there are a few I keep visiting when I get the chance. I always learn something new! My favorite is the museum at the Acropolis, which has a lot of information and artifacts from the area. Here's my list:
  1. The Acropolis Museum: Dominating this list is The Acropolis Museum, built to house every artifact found on the sacred rock of the Acropolis, from the Greek Bronze Age to Roman and Byzantine Greece. A splendid blend of modern and ancient architecture, it holds an incredible array of sculptures and artifacts, including the Caryatids and the Parthenon Frieze.
  2. The National Archaeological Museum: As the largest museum in Greece, this is a treasure trove for history enthusiasts. It boasts an extensive collection of artifacts from ancient Greece, spanning several millennia—pottery, jewelry, sculptures, and the Mask of Agamemnon.
  3. Benaki Museum: Representing various periods throughout Greek history, the Benaki Museum is a private foundation, nestled in the heart of downtown Athens. It offers a comprehensive view of Greek culture from its prehistoric times to the 20th century, with an emphasis on art and everyday objects.
  4. Museum of Cycladic Art: A unique gem in Athens, this museum is home to an exceptional collection of Cycladic art, mostly dating from the Bronze Age. These prehistoric sculptures, with their distinct minimalist aesthetics, are a fascinating window into the ancient Aegean world.
What museums do you like to visit in Athens?

Fun Side Trips While Staying in Athens

I've been to Athens. I have done side trips from Athens. Still, I love Rick Steve's work and I found this interesting! He visited some of the places I've seen, but frankly, he made me want to see them again. This was a fun watch!

One of the places I haven't been that he mentioned is Hydra. Such a cool-looking place.

Best Shopping in Athens

My wife and I are going to Greece in a few days. We both like to shop (her more than me) but we've never actually had enough time in Athens to explore the shopping.

Where should we go?

Someone told us Monastiraki is a good choice, but are there other places? We'll have a few days to poke around.
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back