1 - 5 of 5 Posts

nadellii

This is something that I’ve wondered for a very long time but I’ve never heard an answer. How come the old Olympic stadiums in Greece aren’t being repurposed for something useful. This is a phenomen that has also happened in other countries where the Olympic Games have been held. Why did this happen in Greece though?

Reactions: Hash
I’m pretty sure most are. The soccer stadium is used by Olympiacos and the peace and Love stadium is used by Panathenacos soccer. Basketball is used by Olympiacos (I think), martial arts stadium and swimming are in use. All the venues at the old airport Elliniko have been raised to make way for the development under way on this waterfront property.

I had heard some of the venues were abandoned, too but I just found this - maybe Greece is trying to change this? Greece has been through its share of economic difficulties, maybe some of the places have been abandoned due to lack of funds in repurposing? Anyway, this is interesting:

I had heard some of the venues were abandoned, too but I just found this - maybe Greece is trying to change this? Greece has been through its share of economic difficulties, maybe some of the places have been abandoned due to lack of funds in repurposing? Anyway, this is interesting:

That's the track & field stadium, where the Olympic flame and opening/closing ceremonies were held. It's a bit out of the way for me, so I haven't seen it in awhile. It's a beautiful stadium from what I remember from seeing events at the Olympics.

Reactions: xmelissaa
That's the track & field stadium, where the Olympic flame and opening/closing ceremonies were held. It's a bit out of the way for me, so I haven't seen it in awhile. It's a beautiful stadium from what I remember from seeing events at the Olympics.
I've only seen it from the 2004 ceremony and it did look great

Best Shopping in Athens

My wife and I are going to Greece in a few days. We both like to shop (her more than me) but we've never actually had enough time in Athens to explore the shopping.

Where should we go?

Someone told us Monastiraki is a good choice, but are there other places? We'll have a few days to poke around.

Tips for saving money in Athens?

I'm planning a trip to Athens and though I'm excited, I'm also trying to be mindful of my budget. The charm of historical sites like the Acropolis, the Plaka district, and experiencing the vibrant Greek culture is something I cannot put a price tag on. However, I am looking for ways to stretch my euros further while enjoying what Athens has to offer.

Does anyone have tips or personal experiences to share on saving money while traveling in Athens?

athens-greece.jpg

Ancient Eleusis Archaeological Site

I have been to Athens several times, and I didn't know this place existed. Ithas caught my interest due to its rich mythology and pivotal role in ancient Greek religious life.

I understand that Eleusis was a significant center for religious practices, most notably the Eleusinian Mysteries—secret ceremonies held in honor of Demeter and Persephone. However, my knowledge barely scratches the surface, and I’m eager to learn more before my visit.

Has anyone visited it? I don't know much about it and I am trying to figure out if it is worth it. I love Ancient Greek history and mythology and this has the potential to be interesting to me on a lot of different levels.

Visiting the Cycladic Museum

Though I will be in Mykonos for a while when I come to Greece (soon!) I will have some time in Athens.

I will be tied up with wedding festivities on Mykonos, but I will have some time. So, I want to learn about the history and culture of the island. I know there has to be more to it there than all the parties and the beach scene.

I plan to visit the Cycladic Museum in Athens to get ready. Is there anything I should keep in mind while I explore the museum?

Should you come to Athens in the winter?

I have never been to Greece in winter and I was considering it. I found this video - it was very informative! Thought I'd share:

Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back