1 - 4 of 4 Posts

blopez34

Reactions: Vangelis

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks so much for sharing the very useful information for our community! (y)(y)(y)

k_tsoukalas

Vangelis

The best neighborhood to stay in Athens is Thiseio

The Thiseio neighbourhood is perfect for your stay in Athens because you are able to have access to some of the best sites. It is walking distance to the Acropolis, and Monastiraki as well as many different art galleries, shops, restaurants and cafés. When I stay in this neighborhood, I really don't find myself needing to stray and I can find everything I need in walking distance.

Tips on getting a good deal while shopping in Athens

One important thing to know while shopping in Athens, especially at the tourist places is that no price is the final price! When shopping, it is not considered rude to barter and negotiate prices (politely). I recommend doing this especially if you are purchasing a few items or paying with cash. Usually, the shop owner will give you a lower price if you are buying more things. Remember to always be polite when bartering and know that you shouldn't go too low, people should still be paid fairly.

Tips on making your trip to the Acropolis kid friendly!

Many activities in Greece can be kid friendly, as long as you make some minor adjustments. The acropolis is a great place to visit but it can get a bit tiring for young kids who don't like being in the sun or walking up a lot of stairs. My first recommendation is to go very early in the morning, or late afternoon when there is not a lot of sun. Make sure the little ones are wearing hats and sunscreen and they are very hydrated. I suggest that you don't spend too much time at the top of the acropolis, but rather take a stroll through the museum and have a snack at the Café that overlooks the Acropolis. As always, you can make the experience more fun by getting some goodies at the gift shop.

You should visit the Port town of Lavrio near Athens

Lavrio is one of the best beachside places to visit near Athens. It's a bit of a drive so you'll need to rent a car or take a bus. There are excellent beaches and tavernas there and you can also visit the neighbouring town of Sounio where the famous Grecotel hotel is located. Since it is a tourist location, Lavrio has a bunch of water sport activities such as snorkelling, scuba diving, boat rentals and many more. it's a great two day trip if you're wanting to get away from the city life.

Why arent the old Olympic stadiums being used for anything?

This is something that I’ve wondered for a very long time but I’ve never heard an answer. How come the old Olympic stadiums in Greece aren’t being repurposed for something useful. This is a phenomen that has also happened in other countries where the Olympic Games have been held. Why did this happen in Greece though?
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter