1 - 11 of 11 Posts

xmelissaa

I love watching these types of convos! :) Enjoy and tell me what you think

Reactions: paharo45
Although I am enamored with Ancient Greek history, I am slowly getting more and more intrigued by the country's modern history. Thanks for sharing this!

Reactions: kcixcy
Although I am enamored with Ancient Greek history, I am slowly getting more and more intrigued by the country's modern history. Thanks for sharing this!
I would have to agree with you, especially since the modern history has the most impact on modern Greek culture today

I would have to agree with you, especially since the modern history has the most impact on modern Greek culture today
That's an excellent point - the period of time from the Greek War for Independence onward is especially intriguing. Even more interesting is the role ancient history plays in modern Greece!

Reactions: dubai_suzie
That's an excellent point - the period of time from the Greek War for Independence onward is especially intriguing. Even more interesting is the role ancient history plays in modern Greece!
So true. That's really when Greece began forming itself as its own country

Reactions: dubai_suzie
That's true! Prior to that Greece was grouped regionally.
I wish some of the regional cultures weren't dying out, that's some of my favorite parts of Greek culture

I wish some of the regional cultures weren't dying out, that's some of my favorite parts of Greek culture
That's sad to me, that they're dying out. People maybe are moving away from the islands to find work, taking their culture with them?

Reactions: seleanor
That's sad to me, that they're dying out. People maybe are moving away from the islands to find work, taking their culture with them?
I think it also has to do with the fact that most of the media comes from Athens so the culture is more uniform in Greece. This is happening in many countries around the world as well. It might also be nationalism. Greece probably wants the country to be more unified so its more powerful

I think it also has to do with the fact that most of the media comes from Athens so the culture is more uniform in Greece. This is happening in many countries around the world as well. It might also be nationalism. Greece probably wants the country to be more unified so its more powerful
This is fascinating - there are other countries where a similar unification happened, like in Germany in the 1800's. Each state was its own country at one time. There definitely is strength in numbers, and the unification can also be cultural, as well.

Documentary about Ancient Greece

I love to watch documentaries about Ancient Greece. I find a lot of content on YouTube but some of it was just created by users and I am not sure the credibility of the sources.

I watched this one recently and wanted to share - it is from the History Channel:

Interesting Greek History Topics I Like

The Persian Wars: The wars fought between Greece and the Persian empire in the 5th century BC were some of the most consequential conflicts of ancient times. Learn about the key events, such as the Battle of Marathon and the Battle of Thermopylae, and the strategies that allowed the Greeks to repel the Persian invaders.

The Rise of Athens: Arguably the most influential city-state in ancient Greece, Athens was the birthplace of democracy, philosophy, and the arts. Follow the rise of Athens from a humble village to a powerhouse of trade and culture.

The Peloponnesian War: The decades-long conflict between Athens and Sparta was a turning point in Greek history, leading to the decline of Athens and the rise of Macedon under Philip II and his son Alexander.

The Life of Alexander the Great: The young conqueror who led his armies across the known world, Alexander the Great is one of the most famous and admired figures of ancient history. Learn about his upbringing, his conquests, and his legacy.

The Olympic Games: A tradition that continues to this day, the ancient Olympics were a celebration of sports, culture, and political power. Explore the origins of the games and the events that took place.

History of the tradition of decorating boats for Christmas

One of the most interesting Greek Christmas traditions to me is the one where people decorate boats. So, I started to research the history. Here's a bit of what I discovered:

The roots of the tradition of decorating boats in Greece for Christmas can be traced back to the country's longstanding ties with the sea. In Ancient Greece, people would often looked to the sea for both sustenance and inspiration, and it was not uncommon for ships to be adorned with religious symbols and decorations.

It also has ties to early Christianity in Greece. According to Greek Orthodox beliefs, Saint Nicolas (aka Santa Claus) was a sailor, and he is the patron saint of sailors. Decorating boats is often seen as a way to honor him.

Over time, this practice became associated with the Christmas season, and the boats began to be decorated specifically for the holiday.

People also make paper boats to decorate. Some call these the "yule boat" or karavaki. One of the most famous examples of this practice is the Yule boat, or karavaki.

The earliest known evidence of decorating boats for Christmas in Greece dates back to the 19th century. During this time, sailors would deck out their boats with lights and tiny boats. These tiny boats were often placed inside the larger boat, symbolizing protection from harm while at sea.

Does anyone have anything to add?

Athens and the creation of democracy

I've been thinking about Athens and how it's the birth of democracy. I wondered if other societies had experimented with the concepts or if Athens was unique? Does anyone know? I know that there's been some evidence that other societies experimented with community leadership, but none had a true democracy like what Athens developed.

It was unique in developing a system where a significant portion of its inhabitants could participate directly in decision-making processes. This early form of democracy was largely initiated under the leadership of Cleisthenes in 508/507 BC. His reforms reorganized the population into ten tribes based on their residence rather than lineage, promoting a broader and more inclusive political engagement.

In this Athenian democracy, citizens had the right to attend the Assembly (Ekklesia), where they could speak and vote on legislation and executive decisions. The Council of Five Hundred (Boule), selected by lot for each of the ten tribes, proposed legislation and handled daily affairs. This lottery system for public office sought to prevent power monopolies and encourage civic participation.

I know that this work truly influenced other democratic governments through the world!

Feel free to chime in with your thoughts- I find this stuff interesting.

Earliest Civilizations of Greece

When I visit Greece, I love to learn about the history. I want to Greece for a bit this past summer and loved learning about the Minoans. Were they the earliest or was there a civilization before them?

Prior to this trip, I had thought the Minoans were contained to Crete, but I went to Santorini and Aegina, as well, and they also talked about the Minoan influence. Fascinating stuff. I want to learn about the Mycenaeans, too. Were they kind of at the same time as the Minoans?
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back