1 - 11 of 11 Posts

JLight

In 392 BCE, as the Corinthian War entered its third year, Corinth’s commitment to the anti-Spartan coalition was wavering. Calls for peace and re-entering an alliance with Sparta were growing. The governing elite within Corinth simply could not tolerate this. To remedy this political dissent, they would embark on one of the most cut-throat and blood-thirsty political acts of the Ancient World.

To learn more follow the link below.

In 392 BCE, as the Corinthian War entered its third year, Corinth’s commitment to the anti-Spartan coalition was wavering. Calls for peace and re-entering an alliance with Sparta were growing. The governing elite within Corinth simply could not tolerate this. To remedy this political dissent, they would embark on one of the most cut-throat and blood-thirsty political acts of the Ancient World.

To learn more follow the link below.

Third year? I had no idea that this war was that long

Reactions: JLight
Yea it lasted until 387 BCE. The 'King's peace' ended the war and was brokered by the Persians. I will be writing an article about it later this year :)

Reactions: greggd12
Yea it lasted until 387 BCE. The 'King's peace' ended the war and was brokered by the Persians. I will be writing an article about it later this year :)
That would be great to see, please post it here. Are you a historian? :)

That would be great to see, please post it here. Are you a historian? :)
Brilliant will do :) yea I studied history at Nottingham Uni, now I work for English Heritage in their Business Change Team :) how long have you been interested in ancient Greek history?

Reactions: dimi_pat
Brilliant will do :) yea I studied history at Nottingham Uni, now I work for English Heritage in their Business Change Team :) how long have you been interested in ancient Greek history?
Very very nice! Did you study a specific type of history? In my time I studied history in undergrad, with a focus on colonial history which was very interesting. I am only getting into Ancient Greek history now, most of my knowledge is from what I learned in high school so I have to really brush up on my knowledge which is a big reason that I'm on the forum.

Very very nice! Did you study a specific type of history? In my time I studied history in undergrad, with a focus on colonial history which was very interesting. I am only getting into Ancient Greek history now, most of my knowledge is from what I learned in high school so I have to really brush up on my knowledge which is a big reason that I'm on the forum.
I mainly focussed on European politics in the 19th century, but I also did a bit on the Wars of the Roses, Ancient Greece during the Peloponnesian wars, then the rise and fall of the Roman Empire. I have only recently started getting back into the history of Ancient Greece.
That sounds great, which empires/regions did you study in particular? Yea it is a good forum, have you tried any of the facebook groups which focus on ancient greece, they post some good articles?

Reactions: greggd12
I mainly focussed on European politics in the 19th century, but I also did a bit on the Wars of the Roses, Ancient Greece during the Peloponnesian wars, then the rise and fall of the Roman Empire. I have only recently started getting back into the history of Ancient Greece.
That sounds great, which empires/regions did you study in particular? Yea it is a good forum, have you tried any of the facebook groups which focus on ancient greece, they post some good articles?
I've never heard of the Wars of the Roses...sounds interesting I am doing some reading up on it now

Sounds super interesting! The rise and fall of the Roman Empire especially. My focus was particularly on the Americas, and mostly on the Spanish and British empire, so looking at their initial conquest of the Americas and how it impacted many of the present day political situations in each region. Very telling stuff!

I've never heard of the Wars of the Roses...sounds interesting I am doing some reading up on it now
It's a fascinating period in history. Arguably the most turbulent period in English Medieval History (It's what game of thrones is based off) :D

Sounds super interesting! The rise and fall of the Roman Empire especially. My focus was particularly on the Americas, and mostly on the Spanish and British empire, so looking at their initial conquest of the Americas and how it impacted many of the present day political situations in each region. Very telling stuff!
Yea I love Roman history, going to Rome twice this year I love it that much :) That sounds brilliant, I have not really studied American history (Bar watching some documentaries). I have always found Cortes really interesting, I need to look into it more. Which county was most interesting to study?

History of the tradition of decorating boats for Christmas

One of the most interesting Greek Christmas traditions to me is the one where people decorate boats. So, I started to research the history. Here's a bit of what I discovered:

The roots of the tradition of decorating boats in Greece for Christmas can be traced back to the country's longstanding ties with the sea. In Ancient Greece, people would often looked to the sea for both sustenance and inspiration, and it was not uncommon for ships to be adorned with religious symbols and decorations.

It also has ties to early Christianity in Greece. According to Greek Orthodox beliefs, Saint Nicolas (aka Santa Claus) was a sailor, and he is the patron saint of sailors. Decorating boats is often seen as a way to honor him.

Over time, this practice became associated with the Christmas season, and the boats began to be decorated specifically for the holiday.

People also make paper boats to decorate. Some call these the "yule boat" or karavaki. One of the most famous examples of this practice is the Yule boat, or karavaki.

The earliest known evidence of decorating boats for Christmas in Greece dates back to the 19th century. During this time, sailors would deck out their boats with lights and tiny boats. These tiny boats were often placed inside the larger boat, symbolizing protection from harm while at sea.

Does anyone have anything to add?

Story of the Birth of Democracy

I just watched a nice documentary about the birth of democracy in Athens. This is so fascinating! I didn't realize the nuances, only the basics about how it began in Athens. This documentary goes into a lot more detail.

What did the Ancient Greeks eat?

I am fascinated by the Ancient Greeks. I have a feeling that some of our modern Greek recipes are similar to the ancient ones. Like spoon sweets. It think that seems like something that was developed a long time ago as a way to preserve the fruit harvest.

So, I have been researching this. What did the Ancient Greeks eat? I wanted to share this video because I thought it was interesting.

Information About Alexander the Great

I have always been fascinated by Alexander the Great. I have this sense that depending on how you look at what he did, you could see it differently.

Sure, he conquered and spread hellenism. But what about the place he conquered? How did they feel? I am guessing not very favorable towards him.

If found this documentary on YouTube created by the history channel. I thought I'd watch it. I found it interesting and wanted to share.

Learning about the Olympic Games

It's an Olympics year so I thought I would chat a bit about the Olympic Games!

The original Olympic Games, held in Olympia, Greece, were primarily a festival celebrating Zeus, the king of the Greek gods. These games began around 776 BC and featured a range of athletic competitions, from foot races to combat sports like wrestling and boxing. Interestingly, the games were so significant that wars were put on hold, and conflicts paused to allow athletes and spectators to travel safely to Olympia. This ancient tradition of the Olympic Truce or "Ekecheiria" is a testament to the power of sport in fostering peace and unity, a principle that remains at the heart of the Olympics today.

I find it absolutely intriguing how these ancient games laid the groundwork for the modern Olympics, introducing concepts of sportsmanship, excellence, and the idea of bringing people together through the universal language of sport.

Has anyone visited ancient Olympia? Do you guys enjoy watching the Olympic Games?
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back