1 - 3 of 3 Posts

cf_fraiser

This monastery was a royal grant from Byzantine Empress Anna Palaiogos. On the land where the monastery was built, according to legend, the Apostle Paul preached to the Thessalonians in 51 A.D, during his second mission. This is what the monastery looks like, totally worth visiting.

vlatadon-monastery-720x480.jpg

I love visiting monasteries while in Greece. I'll put this on the list. Thanks for sharing!

Heard there was a Christmas market in Thessaloniki?

I want to do something festive this year in Greece. I am going to be in Thessaloniki for a short time and I heard that there is actually a Christmas market? Is it any good?

Do any of you have any details?

I heard the market is in Aristotelous Square, but that's all I know about it. I am assuming there will be vendors and things to buy - maybe I can do some Christmas shopping here?

Good markets to visit in Thessaloniki?

I'm planning a visit to Thessaloniki soon, and I'm really keen on exploring the local markets there. I've heard that the city is rich in history and culture, and I believe that visiting local markets is one of the best ways to immerse oneself in the local atmosphere and perhaps find some unique items to bring back home.

Does anyone have recommendations for markets in Thessaloniki that are worth visiting? I'm interested in anything from food markets where I can taste local delicacies, to flea markets where I might find interesting antiques or crafts. Also, if you have any tips on the best days and times to visit, as well as what I might expect in terms of items available and price ranges, that would be incredibly helpful!

Looking forward to your suggestions and thank you in advance for sharing your insights!

A newly inaugurated museum in Thessaloniki (and free guided tours offered there)!

In 1922 the Greek population of Asia Minor (or Anatolya, i.e. the asian part of modern Turkey) was expelled from their homeland. Arriving at Greece, they brought together their culture, and, above all, their faith and sacred artefacts. They built new churches, strongholds of their very identity. The entrance of the museum

In the church of St. Marine, east Thessaloniki (37 Agias Marinas str.), on the 200th anniversary of our national tragedy, a new museum was inaugurated. It houses icons and other sacred artefacts carried by Greek refugees. It is a unique opportunity to get to know a completely unknown aspect of our tradition in a completely uncrowded and unknown place of our city! The captions of the various objects, which are exhibited in a small hall, are only in Greek, so if you want to pay a visit, you have to book a guided tour (FOR FREE) via the following mail: [email protected]. The tour includes also the entire church complex (chapel of St. Elena of Sinope, main church of St. Marine). The church is accesible via bus (line 37, stop: Agia Marina, or line 14, stop: Agia Varvara).General view of the church from the north-east

Seeking the Best Mezze Spots in Thessaloniki

I am looking for recommendations. I am going to Thessaloniki in the spring and I want to visit a taverna or restaurant that has great Mezze!

If you've had an unforgettable meze experience in Thessaloniki, please share! I'm looking for recommendations on:
  • Your favorite spots for meze in the city
  • Must-try dishes
  • Any tips for a truly authentic meze dining experience
I appreciate any guidance you can provide to help me (and fellow food lovers) compile a list of must-visit meze destinations in Thessaloniki.

Day Trips from Thessaloniki

What are some good day trips to do while in Thessaloniki? Some ideas to start:

- I know there are some great beaches in the area
- Did I see that Meteora is doable for a day trip?
- Are there any day cruises to nearby islands or anything?
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back