1 - 3 of 3 Posts

xmelissaa

One of the greatest things Greece has to offer is their wine!!! My friends and I will be travelling to Thessaloniki to check out some wineries, but we don’t really know much about making wine…just drinking it ahahha. Does anyone have tips about where to go? Or what types of wines we should try?

My wife and I are huge wine fans! We went to Geravassiliou Winery, which is a bit out of the city (as most wineries are). The wine was delicious, and the owners were so nice! It was true Greek hospitality, i’m sure you and your friends will love it!

One of my favorite greek wines is Retsina. From what I remember, Retsina is produced all over Greece, so i’m sure you’ll find it in Thessaloniki. It’s a white wine, and has pretty low acidity, which is why it’s a popular favorite. And it pairs super well with grilled meats, perfect for greek food!

Will only have a few hours in Thessaloniki...

I am going to Thessaloniki in the late summer (I forget the dates). It's a stop on a Greek cruise. I have been to Greece a lot before but have never done a cruse. I have also never been to Thessaloniki. Any suggestions as to what I can do with my time while I am here? I will be doing a tour of another stop the day prior, so for Thessaloniki I am thinking I just want to explore.

Good markets to visit in Thessaloniki?

I'm planning a visit to Thessaloniki soon, and I'm really keen on exploring the local markets there. I've heard that the city is rich in history and culture, and I believe that visiting local markets is one of the best ways to immerse oneself in the local atmosphere and perhaps find some unique items to bring back home.

Does anyone have recommendations for markets in Thessaloniki that are worth visiting? I'm interested in anything from food markets where I can taste local delicacies, to flea markets where I might find interesting antiques or crafts. Also, if you have any tips on the best days and times to visit, as well as what I might expect in terms of items available and price ranges, that would be incredibly helpful!

Looking forward to your suggestions and thank you in advance for sharing your insights!

Why So Many Starbucks in Thessaloniki?

I was in Thessaloniki this past summer and I noticed more than one Starbucks. Why are there so many?

Not only that, but I am curious if the Greek population has embraced it and if they're popular.

Lots of people were in all that I saw, but I couldn't tell if it were Greeks, tourists, students, etc...

I had thought that Greek coffee drinks were different, and I had no idea Greeks liked coffee like this!

Self Guided Tour of Thessaloniki?

Does anyone know of any resources that will help me give myself a "self guided" tour of Thessaloniki?

I know I can look up all the main places online as I am there. However, I am more interested in finding a narration ahead of time and listening to it while I drive around and see some of the sites. Does such a thing exist?

I am in Thessaloniki for a short time with a group of people who don't like to do "tours" so I have some time to go off by myself for a few hours one of the days.

What are your favorite things to do in Thessaloniki?

I am thinking of taking a trip to Thessaloniki next year. I am trying to think of what to do. I just want a rough idea so I can figure out how many days to spend.

Here's what I was thinking for some activities, but I want to know your recommendations:
  • Taking a walk along the beautiful waterfront promenade
  • Exploring the historical White Tower
  • Savoring delicious Greek cuisine at the local tavernas
What activities or spots would you recommend? I'm interested in everything from cultural experiences, food destinations, hidden gems, to some relaxation spots. And of course, if there are any events or local gatherings happening, I'd be thrilled to join and immerse myself in the local culture.
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back