1 - 4 of 4 Posts

acamp7

Allatini Villa definitely sticks out when you look at the rest of the buildings in Thessaloniki. This building is in the baroque architecture style and was built by an Italian architect names Vitaliano Poselli for a wealthy family who wanted a vacation home. Throughout the years, the building has been transformed for many different purposes. This video does a quick overview, and shows you the building from the outside but does not provide much detail. If anyone has more info, I would love to know.

Reactions: greggd12
This place is really gorgeous and so interesting!. Thank you for sharing this video, it is really great to watch.

This place is really gorgeous and so interesting!. Thank you for sharing this video, it is really great to watch.
Not my typical visit during a vacation to Thessaloniki but I will consider it when I have some down time.

Walking tours in Thessaloniki?

I'm currently planning a trip to Thessaloniki and I'm eager to explore this city's rich history and vibrant culture on foot. From what I've gathered, walking tours seem like an excellent way to immerse oneself in the local atmosphere and learn about the city's historical significance, its architecture, and of course, its culinary delights.

I'm reaching out to this community to gather recommendations on walking tours in Thessaloniki. I'm particularly interested in tours that offer a deep dive into the city's history, but I would also love to explore its culinary scene and maybe even some hidden gems that are not typically covered in conventional guidebooks.

Do you guys have recommendations? There are a lot of options. I don't know where to start.

Thessaloniki.jpg

Seeking the Best Mezze Spots in Thessaloniki

I am looking for recommendations. I am going to Thessaloniki in the spring and I want to visit a taverna or restaurant that has great Mezze!

If you've had an unforgettable meze experience in Thessaloniki, please share! I'm looking for recommendations on:
  • Your favorite spots for meze in the city
  • Must-try dishes
  • Any tips for a truly authentic meze dining experience
I appreciate any guidance you can provide to help me (and fellow food lovers) compile a list of must-visit meze destinations in Thessaloniki.

A newly inaugurated museum in Thessaloniki (and free guided tours offered there)!

In 1922 the Greek population of Asia Minor (or Anatolya, i.e. the asian part of modern Turkey) was expelled from their homeland. Arriving at Greece, they brought together their culture, and, above all, their faith and sacred artefacts. They built new churches, strongholds of their very identity. The entrance of the museum

In the church of St. Marine, east Thessaloniki (37 Agias Marinas str.), on the 200th anniversary of our national tragedy, a new museum was inaugurated. It houses icons and other sacred artefacts carried by Greek refugees. It is a unique opportunity to get to know a completely unknown aspect of our tradition in a completely uncrowded and unknown place of our city! The captions of the various objects, which are exhibited in a small hall, are only in Greek, so if you want to pay a visit, you have to book a guided tour (FOR FREE) via the following mail: [email protected]. The tour includes also the entire church complex (chapel of St. Elena of Sinope, main church of St. Marine). The church is accesible via bus (line 37, stop: Agia Marina, or line 14, stop: Agia Varvara).General view of the church from the north-east

Day Trips from Thessaloniki

What are some good day trips to do while in Thessaloniki? Some ideas to start:

- I know there are some great beaches in the area
- Did I see that Meteora is doable for a day trip?
- Are there any day cruises to nearby islands or anything?

Best Photo Opportunities in Thessaloniki?

I am going to visit Thessaloniki soon, and I thought I would make a list of great places to take pics in the city. Here's what I have so far:

The White Tower (Lefkos Pyrgos): Iconic and unmistakable, the White Tower offers panoramic views. It's a great backdrop for a photo.
Ano Poli (Upper Town): This part of the city feels like stepping back in time. With its traditional houses, Byzantine walls, and cobblestone streets, Ano Poli is the place to capture the soul of Thessaloniki.
The Waterfront Promenade: Stretching over 5 kilometers, the promenade is teeming with life and offers diverse photographic opportunities. There's so much here!
Aristotelous Square: The architectural marvels surrounding this spacious square provide a beautiful urban backdrop. The blend of neo-classical buildings with modern life creates a lively setting for street photography.
Rotunda and Galerius Arch (Kamara): Ancient Roman ruins right in the heart of the city offer a unique contrast between old and new. Capture the intricate details of these historic sites, or focus on their interaction with the daily life of locals and tourists alike.
Modiano and Kapani Markets: For those interested in capturing the vibrancy of local life, the bustling markets of Modiano and Kapani are perfect. The array of colors, textures, and candid human moments make every shot dynamic.
Thessaloniki’s Museums and Art Galleries: While the exteriors of these buildings are architecturally beautiful, the real treasures can be found inside. They are perfect for those who love capturing the beauty of art through their lenses.

Can you guys think of anything else?
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back