1 - 6 of 6 Posts

dimi_pat

I know that fall is an obsession the US with pumpkin spice and everything but I want to celebrate the Greek way! Are there any Greek fall recipes, many some things like apple pie?

Here are a few Greek desserts that might be great for the Fall season:
- Baklava (every season is good baklava season LOL)
- Karidopita (Greek walnut cake)
- Pasta Flora
- Pita with squash or pumkin

greek-walnut-cake-720x480.jpeg

Reactions: nm1999
I'm not sure there are any that are specifically made for the fall the way we have them in the USA?

Reactions: nm1999
Karidopita for sure!! I don't know if its specifically for the fall but any dessert with nuts or cinnamon gives me fall vibes

I know that fall is an obsession the US with pumpkin spice and everything but I want to celebrate the Greek way! Are there any Greek fall recipes, many some things like apple pie?
Moustalevria and moustokouloura are the absolute Greek fall desserts - it's a dance of the seasons :) They both use the grape must that is plenty after the harvest. It's us Greeks celebrating seasonality and wealth of our nature!

Reactions: greek_ggirl
Moustalevria and moustokouloura are the absolute Greek fall desserts - it's a dance of the seasons :) They both use the grape must that is plenty after the harvest. It's us Greeks celebrating seasonality and wealth of our nature!
I love them!!! I feel like many of our desserts don't use fresh fruit

Traditional Greek soups in Greece?

Most of the Greeks I know are from the United States - so it's been a few generations since a lot of them spent extended time in Greece.

From what I understand, Greek cuisine kind of changes. From what I can tell, in the United States, the most popular soup is Egg and Lemon soup (avgolemono) but in Greece, I don't see to as much or rather, hear of it as much.

What are the most popular soups in Greece?

Greek grilling advice and tips?

It's getting warm out and time to break out the grill! I am interested in how do Greek people in Greece grill? I've had so many delicious grilled foods in Greece, I am having a hard time getting the same flavors here in the United States.

I've tried my hand at a few recipes, aiming to capture that authentic taste, but I feel like there's a deeper level of technique and tradition that I'm just not hitting. From choosing the right ingredients to mastering the grill itself, I know there’s a wealth of subtleties that can turn a good dish into a great one.

Do they use certain marinades or techniques? I've watched people in Greece grill - they don't even really follow recipes.

Mediterranean Diet Tied to Lower Blood Pressure, Greek Study Shows!

Learning about Greek food and wine pairing

I've recently developed a fascination with Greek wines and am eager to explore their potential pairings with various cuisines. Greek wines, with their rich history and unique grape varieties, offer a tantalizing range of flavors that I believe can complement a wide array of dishes beautifully. However, my experience in effectively pairing these wines is somewhat limited, and I would greatly appreciate any advice or insights from those more familiar with this area.

Particularly, I'm interested in understanding which types of Greek wines (white, red, or rosé) pair best with specific dishes or cuisines. Here are a few specific questions I have in mind:
  1. Assyrtiko: Known for its crisp acidity and citrus notes, which dishes would best highlight Assyrtiko's characteristics?
  2. Agiorgitiko: Often described as smooth and velvety, what kinds of meals would complement this type of red wine?
  3. Xinomavro: With its robust tannins and complex flavor profile, what are the best food pairings to balance its intensity?
  4. Retsina: Given its unique pine resin flavor, are there particular foods that match well with this traditional wine?
Additionally, I'm curious if there are any general rules of thumb when it comes to pairing Greek wines with dishes from other culinary traditions outside of Greek cuisine.

Thank you!

What do you think of Gyro variations?

There are some gyro shops near me in the United States and they seem to be putting a different spin on the classic dish. There are some variations. What do you guys think of the variations?

I don't recall seeing these variations in Greece, but I could be wrong. Variations such as - gyros made with different meats, like chicken, those made with Greek meatballs, souvlaki, etc.

And what do you think of putting fries in Gyros? I do see that in Greece.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back