1 - 3 of 3 Posts

blopez34

I am trying to master the avgolemono sauce/ soup.

Down to basic, I have continual problems with the whole process of integrating the egg with the hot broth. I know in theory what needs to happen.

- The broth needs to be the right temperature.
- The eggs shouldn't be directly from the fridge (without keeping them out too long)
- The eggs should be separated yolk and egg, beaten separately, and integrated.
- The integration should be gentle, allowing for the sauce to stay hot without curdling the eggs

Honestly a lot can (and has) gone wrong. I'd love if you guys could help talk me through it. What do you all do?

I don’t separate yolk and whites
I place them in a blender with one cup water and juice of half lemon
Best till frothy and slowly add a cup or two of your hot broth
Then slowly add that to your soup stirring so you don’t curdle the broth

Reactions: k_tsoukalas
I don’t separate yolk and whites
I place them in a blender with one cup water and juice of half lemon
Best till frothy and slowly add a cup or two of your hot broth
Then slowly add that to your soup stirring so you don’t curdle the broth
My aunt does a method similar to this~ thank you for sharing! Her soup comes out great so I wondered if this method would be a time-saver.

I separate the eggs and it works for me, but some members of my family have switched to the blender method and I was curious the details. She explained it to me once and I forgot.

Menu - Advice on What to Serve at a Greek Dinner Party

I'm planning to host a Greek-themed dinner party and could use some advice on what dishes to serve. I want to create an authentic experience for my guests and ensure they get a true taste of Greek cuisine.

Here are a few ideas I have in mind:
  • Tzatziki
  • Dolmades
  • Spanakopita
  • Souvlaki
  • Greek Salad
  • Lemon Potatoes
Should I add or subtract anything?

Tips for Baking Greek Bread?

Does anyone have any tips or secrets for baking Greek bread at home? Here are a few specific areas where I could use some advice - I am new to baking bread, and most Greek breads I have had taste different than other breads I've had - so I am guessing there are nuances I need to learn.
  1. Are there specific types of flour or yeast that are essential for authentic Greek bread?
  2. Any particular methods that work best for achieving the right dough consistency?
  3. How long should the dough be left to rise, and are there any tricks to getting the perfect rise?
  4. Ideal oven temperature and baking times?
  5. Any traditional additives or spices that can elevate the bread?
I appreciate any insights or experiences you all could share!

Popular Greek Foods to Serve at Weddings?

I am involved with planning a wedding where much of the cooking is going to be done by family, just like it is in Greece.

What are the popular and most common foods to serve at weddings in Greece? In that family many of them had been born in Greece so I am curious about what to expect.

Many of them haven't told me what they are cooking and I want to make sure there's enough food. All they basically say is, "We are making typical wedding foods like you'll find in Greece."

Greek Rice Pudding Recipe

I love Greek-style rice pudding! My family used to make this all the time but got away from it. It's one of my favorite desserts! Thought I would share my recipe.

Ingredients:​

• 1 cup short-grain rice (such as Arborio)
  • 4 cups water
  • 4 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • Pinch of salt
  • Ground cinnamon for garnish

Instructions:​

1. Rinse the Rice:
    • Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear. This helps to remove excess starch.
  2. Cook the Rice:
    • In a large pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
    • Add the rice and a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the rice is partially cooked. Drain any excess water if necessary.
  3. Simmer with Milk:
    • Add the 4 cups of whole milk and the cinnamon stick to the pot with the rice.
    • Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
  4. Sweeten and Flavor:
    • Once the mixture reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30-40 minutes or until the rice is tender and the mixture has thickened.
    • Stir in the sugar and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes, until the sugar is fully dissolved and the pudding has thickened to your desired consistency.
  5. Add Vanilla:
    • Remove the pot from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
  6. Cool and Serve:
    • Remove the cinnamon stick.
    • Pour the rice pudding into individual serving dishes or a large serving bowl.
    • Let it cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until well chilled.

Different kinds of Greek salads?

I love horiatiki when I go to Greece - but I also noticed other types of salads being served.

Do they have names?

I tried one or two of them and most of them involved greens - like lettuce, etc.

Are they just the invention of the restaurant or are they common dishes? I guess it's hard to truly know unless I can share examples from restaurants, but Id didn't think to take pics last time I was in Greece.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back