1 - 5 of 5 Posts

nm1999

Here's a bit of interesting history about Mykonos

"Because the inhabitants of the island were great sailors, they provided important help to the War of Independence, offering their 22 ships, their 500 members of the crew and their 140 canons to the Greek Revolution against the Turkish yoke. The heroic revolutionary figure of Mykonos is a woman, Manto Mavrogenous who financed the Revolution, helped in the organization of fights, participate in the Filiki Etairia (a secret revolutionary organization) and managed to organize troops in order to revolt against the Turks in 1822."

-https://www.greeka.com/cyclades/mykonos/history/

Reactions: Hash
Here's a bit of interesting history about Mykonos

"Because the inhabitants of the island were great sailors, they provided important help to the War of Independence, offering their 22 ships, their 500 members of the crew and their 140 canons to the Greek Revolution against the Turkish yoke. The heroic revolutionary figure of Mykonos is a woman, Manto Mavrogenous who financed the Revolution, helped in the organization of fights, participate in the Filiki Etairia (a secret revolutionary organization) and managed to organize troops in order to revolt against the Turks in 1822."

-https://www.greeka.com/cyclades/mykonos/history/
Manto .....our Heroine!! ❣️❣️.....a beautiful statue of her is where she still overlooks and guards Mykonou in Taxi Square on the waterfront...... Thank you posting this and sharing such lovely reading....it was part of our walking tour Mykonos!👋

Reactions: efhernandez_
Manto .....our Heroine!! ❣️❣️.....a beautiful statue of her is where she still overlooks and guards Mykonou in Taxi Square on the waterfront...... Thank you posting this and sharing such lovely reading....it was part of our walking tour Mykonos!👋
So cool to have a woman statue in Greece, I feel like that's pretty rare :)

Reactions: greek_ggirl
Yes and with pride.
Legendary Manto is in Manto square....we call it Taxi Square because the Taxis turn around her statue!❤️
I never knew what that statue was! This is such an interesting story... So cool to have a woman honored like that.

Best photo spots in Mykonos?

I want to document my next trip to Mykonos with some great photos.

Does anyone have personal favorites or insider tips on the best spots for photography in Mykonos? I'm interested in both, the well-known attractions and those off-the-beaten-path locations that offer unique perspectives of the island's charm.

Also, if there are specific times of day that bring out the magic of these places (think golden hour or less crowded moments), I'd love to hear about that too!

Any tips on local etiquette regarding photography would also be greatly appreciated. I aim to be respectful of the people and the culture during my visit.

How expensive is Mykonos?

I won't be going this year, but I am starting to plan for next year. I plan to be in a Greece for at least a month and someone I am traveling with is adamant about wanting to experience some clubs in Mykonos.

I think it does look fun, but I am concerned with whether or not it is expensive. I heard it can get bad. We have a limited budget... can we navigate the expense of it, and find less expensive ways to enjoy it. Can we?

Good Clubs in Mykonos?

I have heard mixed reviews about partying in Mykonos. Some really love it, some can't stand it. I love a good nightclub so I am hoping I will love it. I love to dance, too. I don't like anything over the top, just normal club vibes.

I did some preliminary research. What do you guys think?

- Scarpa
- Skandinavian Bar
- Cavo Paradiso
- At54

I don't know how to tell if any of these are still open.

Taking a quick boat ride in Mykonos

Does anyone know the best way to take a quick boat ride when in Mykonos? I usually just walk around the shore and find someone (they usually bring their boats to a spot) but the last time I did that, I didn't like the boat! So I want to plan things in advance this time around. I plan to go to Mykonos soon.

The last boat had a glass bottom, and it freaked me out - I don't want to do that again.

Also, I am interested in Scuba diving but I know that is a bit more complicated to arrange than a boat ride. I might have to wait until I get there?

Advice for an extended stay in Mykonos

I plan to be on Mykonos for about a month over the summer and I honestly feel like I am a bit late to the party securing a rental for that long. I am not seeing much on airbnb.

That could change as more properties become available... I don't know.

Am I missing something? Are there other networks that people use when going to Mykonos that I maybe haven't thought of? I don't want to move mid trip but I guess I could. Like do a week here and there. It could give me a chance to see different things on the island.
Share and discuss your Mykonos photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back