1 - 3 of 3 Posts

greek_ggirl

Hey everyone! What are your favorite dances to do at Easter parties? I'm curating a playlist now and I want to know what to add. Do you all like kalamatiano? Zeibekiki? Anything else?

Reactions: xmelissaa

nickstamoulis

Administrator
Staff member
Here are some traditional Greek songs and music that could be fun for Easter:

Reactions: xmelissaa

xmelissaa

What is the significance of crossing the labatha over the front door?

Every year my family takes home the labatha from the holy fire of the church and crosses it over the door frame of the front door. Is this to bless the house? I don't know the actual significance of the tradition

What are your preparations for Holy Week?

What do you have planned? My family and I will be attending socially distanced church service and painting eggs! :) I'm so excited, I love this time of year

Dying Easter eggs

Traditionally Greeks dye their red eggs on the Thursday of Holy Week. Greeks are really into tradition. I'm wondering what other people have come up with as being easiest. It has taken years of analyzing the way that works best for me, so I thought I'd share.... So, when I was a kid my mother used Ritz red dye, and we used to EAT the eggs. It's a miracle we didn't get poisoned. Then I decided to use red food coloring and eggs came out pink, not the rich red symbolic of the blood of Christ. Then I discovered that the Greek store (I go to Sophia's in Lowell, MA) sells dye specific for dying eggs with directions in both English and Greek on the back. So I followed the directions on the back and dumped the whole packet into a huge pan which ended up hard to clean. As time went on, I discovered I could use only ½ of the packet and use a small container, doing 4 eggs at a time. This year I only used ⅓ of the contents of the packet. So what do you do?

Can I use natural dye to dye red Easter eggs?

I've been trying to avoid toxins and chemicals these days. Has anyone used natural dyes to dye their eggs? Or even tried dyeing eggs with beet juice? Would it end up looking like the picture below or would it come out like a lighter pink?

redeggs.jpg

Why is Greek Easter on a different day every year?

I've always wondered this....does anyone know?

SHARE THIS BELOW:

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter