1 - 5 of 5 Posts

kcixcy

I am planning a trip to Crete this year and I am wondering where some of the best places to take photos might be. Someone recommended that I should hike the Samaria gorge and take photos along the way because the scenery is amazing, but I am not sure I am up for that. I also know that I could take a ferry to the end and then hike into the gorge someone and take photos from that perspective. Besides that spot, where else can I go? I am looking for a combination of nature and city type shots. I see a lot of photos of Chania that I love so I will put that on my list.

Everywhere in the Chania Prefecture is photogenic. You could spend a lifetime photographing Chania; believe me, I have!

The Old Port of Chania is one of the most picturesque areas in Greece. Sunday morning is a great time to photograph the narrow streets before it gets crowded.

The entire Southern Coast (including the “Iron Gates” at end of the Samaria Gorge at Agia Roumeli that you mentioned) is absolutely stunning. You can take a boat from Sfakia that goes along the coast. From Sfakia you can also drive up to the Village of Anopoli to get a different, pastoral view of the White Mountains.

The Botanical Gardens and continuing along the Omalos Road to the head of the Samaria Gorge, offer many photo ops.

The monasteries on the Akrotiri and Kolymvari Peninsulas offer wonderful historic and architectural shots.

Last but not least, the world famous beaches (ie. Elafonisi, Balos, Falassarna and many more) offer great photo ops.

Reactions: kcixcy
Everywhere in the Chania Prefecture is photogenic. You could spend a lifetime photographing Chania; believe me, I have!

The Old Port of Chania is one of the most picturesque areas in Greece. Sunday morning is a great time to photograph the narrow streets before it gets crowded.

The entire Southern Coast (including the “Iron Gates” at end of the Samaria Gorge at Agia Roumeli that you mentioned) is absolutely stunning. You can take a boat from Sfakia that goes along the coast. From Sfakia you can also drive up to the Village of Anopoli to get a different, pastoral view of the White Mountains.

The Botanical Gardens and continuing along the Omalos Road to the head of the Samaria Gorge, offer many photo ops.

The monasteries on the Akrotiri and Kolymvari Peninsulas offer wonderful historic and architectural shots.

Last but not least, the world famous beaches (ie. Elafonisi, Balos, Falassarna and many more) offer great photo ops.

This is some great advice! I agree about Chania because I have seen some amazing pics of the Venetian Harbor area and the city seems so beautiful. Good advice about getting there early. Also, great advice about the Gorge, Gardens, Monasteries, Beaches etc. Seems like a lovely island with plenty of opportunities.

You can see some of my photos as I describe Crete in and out on my website:
www.lovingcrete.com
There is an entire world of wonder under what is pointed to touristically.

Ray

I would totally visit the Venetian Harbor area in Chania, as well as some of the scenic places by the coast. I would also hike into the Samaria gorge if you're able to take photos f that. There are some great spots all over though, you can't go wrong driving around.

Video Walk Through of Heraklion Archaeological Museum

I am very fascinated by Greek history, particularly form the Minoan Civilization.

I would very much love to visit Crete so that I can learn more and see where it all happened.

I found this video of a museum I would love to visit. You don't need to have the sound turned on, it's really about the images and all you'll hear is background noise. But, I still found it pretty interesting.

Too late to travel to Crete in December?

Is it too late to travel to Crete in December? I am going to visit some people for the holidays, but I also want to do some sightseeing.

Someone told me that Crete shuts down in October, but people still live there so it can't possibly be a ghost town.

What shuts down, exactly? Will I still be able to go to museums and stuff this time of year?

Priorities for exploring Chania's old town?

I’m planning a trip to the enchanting old town of Chania and I’ve heard so much about its rich history and vibrant culture. With so many intriguing options, I find myself grappling with where to begin and how to prioritize my time effectively.

For those who have experience of Chania—what would you say should be at the top of my list?

My interests range broadly, from historical landmarks, museums, and art galleries, to culinary delights and local crafts. I’m particularly fascinated by the blend of architectural styles and cultural influences evident in Chania.

Thanks in advance!

chania-crete.jpg

List of foods to try on Crete

Crete is one of my favorite islands - and I plan to visit again in a few months. I thought I would make a list of some of the foods I definitely plan to eat when there.

The of you who know about the island, do you have anything to add?

• Dakos
  • Horta
  • Cretan "pitakia" (in the turnover dough)
  • Horiatiki
  • Pizza (sounds silly, but I love eating Pizza on Crete LOL)

Finding a Private Tour Guide on Crete?

I'm reaching out to this community because I'm planning trip to Crete and I'm on the lookout for a personal tour guide. I believe that exploring a new place is infinitely more enriching when you have the insights and stories that only a local can provide.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a tour guide in Crete? I'm looking for someone knowledgeable, engaging, and passionate about their homeland. It's important to me that the guide is not only familiar with the popular tourist spots but also those hidden gems that are off the beaten path.

If you've visited Crete and had a fantastic experience with a tour guide, I'd love to hear your stories. Additionally, if you're a local or know of any contacts in the area that could point me in the right direction, please feel free to share.

I've seen stuff online about how much fun people have on private tours, and I believe this to be the best option for my family.
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back