1 - 3 of 3 Posts
I recently had a mishap while making fasolakia. The beans all fell apart. I am assuming I overcooked the beans but I am not sure because I have cooked the dish this long in the past without issues.

What was different about this time is I decided to put potatoes in it to make it a bit heartier for winter. Should I have not done this? Maybe I really cooked it longer than I thought because of the potatoes?

Reactions: k_tsoukalas
Just a quick follow up. I made them again and cooked it less, but they still fell apart! I didn't put potatoes this time.

I have learned that the beans should be simmered for no more than 30 minutes. I bring it a boil on medium-high, then drop it down to a simmer for 30 minutes, but no more than 45. It depends on how mature the beans were. If they were young, smaller, and freshly picked, they might need 25-30 minutes on simmer. Older beans (on the vine longer) might be closer to 45 minutes.

How to make Koulouri - sesame bread rings?

When I went to Greece, one of my favorite snacks were the koulouri - or sesame bread rings.

I'm on a quest to recreate the delectable Greek Koulouri at home – those delightful sesame-crusted bread rings that are a staple street food in Greece. They are perfect for breakfast or as a snack any time of day, and I absolutely love their chewy texture and the rich taste that comes from being encrusted with toasted sesame seeds.

Is it a simple matter of taking any bread recipe and forming it into rings, and then putting sesame seeds on the rings? Or is it a bit more to it than that?

How does this fasolada recipe look?

Does anyone have any idea if the ingredients list in this fasolada recipe looks good? I want to make it soon - seems like a good lenten meal to me.

• 1 cup dried white beans (such as Great Northern or navy beans), soaked overnight
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
  • 4 cups vegetable stock
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
  • Optional: lemon wedges for serving

I am questioning the lemon and the garlic - I never put both lemon and garlic together. Also, I have never used stock before, I usually put tomato paste in it. But this recipe has diced tomatoes so I am questioning if the stock is necessary.

How to learn about different regional cuisines in Greece?

I have learned so much about Greek cuisine by being on this forum! I know that there are standard recipes that everyone seems to cook.

For example, you can get souvlaki all over. Everyone seems to serve a village salad with slight variations. Most regions seem to make moussaka. There are tons of others.

I have also noticed that each region has their own specialties. How do you go about learning about them?

greek-salad.jpg

What is the best street food in Greece?

What do you consider the best street food in Greece? Are there any specific dishes or local delicacies that you dream of having again? Also, if you have recommendations for particular places or vendors, that would be fantastic!

Here's what I've got on my list so far:
  • Souvlaki
  • Gyros
  • Loukoumades
  • Spanakopita
  • Bougatsa
But I'd like to go beyond the usual and try the real local flavors that might not be as famous internationally. I'm open to suggestions from all over Greece. I have an idea of what I like but want to see what others say.

Traditional Greek soups in Greece?

Most of the Greeks I know are from the United States - so it's been a few generations since a lot of them spent extended time in Greece.

From what I understand, Greek cuisine kind of changes. From what I can tell, in the United States, the most popular soup is Egg and Lemon soup (avgolemono) but in Greece, I don't see to as much or rather, hear of it as much.

What are the most popular soups in Greece?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back