1 - 4 of 4 Posts

dimi_pat

I have learned that Greeks, especially those in Greece, celebrate their name day. I want to be better at celebrating people's name days, even though I am not in Greece. I am looking for suggestions on how to help people celebrate. Some of my ideas:

• Send a card
  • Give a gift, such as an icon of the saint
  • Take them out for dinner or have them over
  • Call them to wish them a happy name day
Does anyone know of a good name day calendar I can use to find out about when people's name days are?

I have learned that Greeks, especially those in Greece, celebrate their name day. I want to be better at celebrating people's name days, even though I am not in Greece. I am looking for suggestions on how to help people celebrate. Some of my ideas:

• Send a card
  • Give a gift, such as an icon of the saint
  • Take them out for dinner or have them over
  • Call them to wish them a happy name day
Does anyone know of a good name day calendar I can use to find out about when people's name days are?
Hello, try this site for Greek Name Days Calendar - namedays.gr

Another place is the Greek name day calendar on our sister website GreekBoston.com here:

Reactions: k_tsoukalas
I love to wish my friends and family a happy name day! Thank you for sharing these ideas and resources.

Appropriate clothing for Holy Week services?

I was going to wear a floral dress to the service on Good Friday - I pretty much always do - and someone made a comment that they didn't think it's appropriate because it is a service of mourning.

You know, I guess that makes sense - but I haven't that much of it. What are your thoughts on it? I ended up choosing an outfit that looked a little more somber.

I am curious about the best things to wear through Holy Week! I am assuming the really spring-like colors are best on Pascha?

Learning about hospitality in Greece

I was trying to explain to some non-Greek friends about hospitality in Greece. I feel like it's next level, but how do you explain it?

Could anyone help me explain any of the following:
  • Traditional welcome gestures in Greece
  • Common household customs when visiting a Greek home
  • Etiquette for showing appreciation to Greek hosts
  • Any specific do's and don'ts that a foreigner should be aware of

List of Cretan Dances?

I will be attending a Cretan wedding and am curious about the traditional Cretan dances! I know the dances are slightly different and I want to learn some. I don't know the names of the dances so that I can look them up. I did some research, though. Are any of these dances common at these weddings?
  • Pentozali
  • Sousta
  • Siganos
  • Chaniotis
There's a dance the wedding party typically does in Crete. Which dance is that?

Navigating Greek Lenten Fasting - Advice?

Lent is here and all my friends and family have been asking "what are you doing for lent this year?" They're all "giving something up" but I decided I wanted to fast. I would love your help and advice because this is the first time I am doing things in a stricter way. I resolve to see it through!

It's supposed to be a a time of reflection, purification, and preparation for the celebration of Easter, and the diet plays a significant part in this spiritual journey. I don't want to get so obsessed with the "rules" that I lose myself in them and forget why I am fasting int he first place.

Thanks in advance!

Greek Easter Holy Week Liturgies!

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back