1 - 2 of 2 Posts

d_kakavouli

When I was in Greece, I bumped into a "spanakopita" in like a turnover style dough. It didn't have cheese and was spiced with cumin. I hadn't realized people use Cumin in Greece until I tasted it in this dish. I was kind of confused.

Do people actually use cumin in Greek cooking? None of the old recipes I have mention it. Could it be a more modern influence?

I don't bump into this much in Greece, but I have here and there, as well. It usually happens int eh islands. I think I might have been on Crete when someone handed me one of those spinach "pitakes" without cheese, made with a dough similar to our turnovers, and spiced with cumin, onion, and some other interesting seasonings. I asked them, why Cumin?

They explained that Crete has seen a lot of people occupying them, and there was actually even an Arabic presence at one point. They brought with them their spices, which has impacted the cuisine in random ways like that one. It was actually called the Emirate of Crete in the 800s!

Popular Greek Foods to Serve at Weddings?

I am involved with planning a wedding where much of the cooking is going to be done by family, just like it is in Greece.

What are the popular and most common foods to serve at weddings in Greece? In that family many of them had been born in Greece so I am curious about what to expect.

Many of them haven't told me what they are cooking and I want to make sure there's enough food. All they basically say is, "We are making typical wedding foods like you'll find in Greece."

How do you use Lemon in Greek cuisine?

I know that lemons are common in Greek cuisine. I cook Greek all the time, and I use lemons a lot!

What are some traditional Greek dishes that you use lemons for? I am curious what people do. I tend to make a lot of ladolemono and use it to marinate meats. I also use it as a garnish all the time for both meats and vegetables like spinach, asparagus, etc.

I had thought all Greeks use lemon a lot, but I went over someone's house (Greek) and they didn't seem as into it as my family is...

List of Famous Greek Chefs?

I'm looking to explore the world of Greek cuisine and would love to get a list of famous Greek chefs. Who are the top chefs in Greece known for their exceptional culinary skills and contributions to Greek gastronomy?

I'd appreciate any recommendations, whether they are well-known for traditional dishes or modern takes on Greek food.

Thanks in advance! Content can be in Greek or English too.

List of traditional Greek dishes to try making at home?

I'm curious to hear your recommendations on the top traditional Greek dishes that one can try making at home. While traveling to Greece to experience the authentic flavors firsthand would be ideal, it's not always possible. So, what's the next best thing? Recreating those delicious dishes in our own kitchens!

I've always been fascinated by Greek cuisine, known for its rich flavors and healthy ingredients. But with so many iconic dishes out there, it's hard to decide where to start. I'd love to get some insights from those of you who have either visited Greece or have experience cooking Greek food at home.

Here are a few dishes I've heard are must-tries:
  1. Moussaka
  2. Souvlaki
  3. Spanakopita
  4. Dolmades
  5. Baklava
What would you add? Thanks so much!

Menu - Advice on What to Serve at a Greek Dinner Party

I'm planning to host a Greek-themed dinner party and could use some advice on what dishes to serve. I want to create an authentic experience for my guests and ensure they get a true taste of Greek cuisine.

Here are a few ideas I have in mind:
  • Tzatziki
  • Dolmades
  • Spanakopita
  • Souvlaki
  • Greek Salad
  • Lemon Potatoes
Should I add or subtract anything?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back