1 - 12 of 12 Posts

nadellii

If you're looking for ancient sites, don't just stop at the acropolis! Érechthéion is a hidden gem and I had no idea this temple existed. According to Wikipedia "The Erechtheion or Erechtheum is an ancient Greek temple on the north side of the Acropolis of Athens in Greece which was dedicated to both Athena and Poseidon."

Reactions: Hash
If you're looking for ancient sites, don't just stop at the acropolis! Érechthéion is a hidden gem and I had no idea this temple existed. According to Wikipedia "The Erechtheion or Erechtheum is an ancient Greek temple on the north side of the Acropolis of Athens in Greece which was dedicated to both Athena and Poseidon."
Here's a link with more info https://ancient-greece.org/architecture/erechtheion.html

Thanks for sharing this. It's easy to think that the Parthenon is the only thing worth visiting at the Acropolis, but there's actually a lot more there that shouldn't be ignored.

Reactions: efhernandez_
Thanks for sharing this. It's easy to think that the Parthenon is the only thing worth visiting at the Acropolis, but there's actually a lot more there that shouldn't be ignored.
So true, the archeological museum is also a must see

Absolutely must see when in Athens: The Acropolis Museum, The Acropolis itself and The National Archaeological Museum of Greece.

Reactions: nm1999
Absolutely must see when in Athens: The Acropolis Museum, The Acropolis itself and The National Archaeological Museum of Greece.
Definitely take a half day at least to see the acropolis and the acropolis museum

It's easy to forget that there is more to the Acropolis than the Parthenon. You could easily spend a whole day there and I would even consider taking a tour so you don't miss anything.

Kalispera,

Does anyone here speaks greek? I am new in learning greek language and i would love to speak.

Reactions: xmelissaa
Kalispera,

Does anyone here speaks greek? I am new in learning greek language and i would love to speak.
I do!! Mporoume na milage etho? :)

Kalispera,

Nai, ta milaw - Yes, I speak it. How much do you already know? I could probably direct you to some good material if I knew your level.

Reactions: auroracoor1
Italkie is a great online tutoring website where you can Skype with super cheap native teachers!! I used it to learn a bit of French and it was great

Fun Side Trips While Staying in Athens

I've been to Athens. I have done side trips from Athens. Still, I love Rick Steve's work and I found this interesting! He visited some of the places I've seen, but frankly, he made me want to see them again. This was a fun watch!

One of the places I haven't been that he mentioned is Hydra. Such a cool-looking place.

Taking the Ferry to Mykonos?

I am planning a trip for Greece next year to Greece. I usually fly into Athens and then fly into a place like Santorini or Mykonos from there.

I plan to go to Mykonos next summer and I am kind of sick of flying.

Is the ferry situation easy from Piraeus? Is this a better option than airplanes?

Someone told me I could wait until the last minute and buy the tickets that day, but I am not sure I feel comfortable with that...

Greek Mythology Sites in Athens?

I am visiting Athens and want a feel for where to go that pertains to Greek mythology.Of course, the Acropolis is on my list, but I wish to explore other places related to gods, goddesses, heroes, and their legendary tales as well.

For those of you who have ventured on similar quests or possess knowledge about Greek mythology's physical footprints in Athens, could you recommend:
  1. Must-visit sites that are deeply connected to Greek mythology.
  2. Any lesser-known locations that offer a unique insight into the myths.
  3. Tips for making the most out of these visits (best time to go, how to avoid crowds, etc.).
  4. Any resources (books, guides, websites) that could help deepen my understanding of the myths associated with these sites.
I’m extremely excited about this trip and looking forward to your recommendations and insights! Thanks!

My Favorite Things to Do in Athens

Athens is one of my favorite places to visit! It's so rich in history, culture, and even has a spirit of adventure. What I find most impressive are the ruins, museums, and other attractions. I thought I'd give list of my favorite places. What are your favorite places?

History

If you’re visiting Athens with history in mind, then it’s definitely worth exploring some of the most iconic landmarks such as The Acropolis – home to three remarkable buildings – the Parthenon temple dedicated to goddess Athena; Erechtheion shrine dedicated to god Poseidon; Temple of Athena Nike; Odeon Of Herodes Atticus theater known for its amazing acoustics; Ancient Agora – a large public square where people would mingle with traders and philosophers like Socrates who delivered his famous orations here; Stoa Poikile painted colonnade decorated by Polygnotos’ frescoes (5th century BC); Roman Forum with temples like Tower Of The Wind that originally served as an astronomical observatory.

Art

For art lovers looking for something more contemporary there are plenty of museums worth visiting such as National Archeological Museum which displays artifacts from all periods up to late antiquity era including treasures found during excavations at Delphi Oracle or Benaki Museum that houses more than 30 thousand Greek works from Byzantine period through modern era. If you have time make sure you check out Onassis Cultural Center which stages theatrical productions , concerts , exhibitions and workshops all year round . And don't forget Cycladic Art Museum founded by renowned sculptor Nicholas Tombazi displaying collections from Cycladic islands located near Athens (Aegina, Paros etc).

Food

Foodies will find Athens very appealing since it is one of Mediterranean's most vibrant cities when it comes to culinary scene aside from having traditional Greek staples such as Gyro souvlaki & Mousaka there are also amazing lobster restaurants located by sea overlooking Piraeus Harbor making sure locals can enjoy fresh seafood even during harsh winter season . Additionally Athenian street food vendors serve excellent dishes made on spot bound keep your energy levels up while walking around exploring various sites .

Leisure

Not only can visitors experience traditional greek hospitality but they also get pleasure out taking part in leisurely activities ranging anywhere between dancing at cultural festivals held throughout summer season (Athens Festival - June-July ; International Dance Festival - September) going go-karting racing at brand new tracks opening annually outside city limits or relaxing on surfing school courses ideal for beginner surfers starting their journey into discovering this extreme sport(Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Centre being operator).

What do you like to do in Athens?

Tips for saving money in Athens?

I'm planning a trip to Athens and though I'm excited, I'm also trying to be mindful of my budget. The charm of historical sites like the Acropolis, the Plaka district, and experiencing the vibrant Greek culture is something I cannot put a price tag on. However, I am looking for ways to stretch my euros further while enjoying what Athens has to offer.

Does anyone have tips or personal experiences to share on saving money while traveling in Athens?

athens-greece.jpg
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back