1 - 4 of 4 Posts

greek_ggirl

Not only Mykonos has windmills! You can find these super cute stone windmills in Crete at the Windmills of Lasithi Plateau. These are right by the Lasithi Plateau near Spathi mountain in Crete! I wish I had pictures to post but I haven't been myself, just heard of them by word of mouth

greekgal77

Not only Mykonos has windmills! You can find these super cute stone windmills in Crete at the Windmills of Lasithi Plateau. These are right by the Lasithi Plateau near Spathi mountain in Crete! I wish I had pictures to post but I haven't been myself, just heard of them by word of mouth
Yup, I bumped into some while on the road driving from Heraklion to Agios Nikolaos. They dot the countryside. We stopped in a small village and walked around when we saw there were a few in that area. I forget the name of the village, but there are a lot in the general area.

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Lasithi Crete is such a gorgeous place to visit!

Here is more information about the windmills in Lassithi, Greece:

Attachments

• lassithi-greece-720x480.jpeg
    lassithi-greece-720x480.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 2

k_tsoukalas

Yes! I have seen them. There's a small village named Vrouhas that has some... I like to rent a car and ride around in that whole area...

Understanding the Cretan vs standard Greek dialects

Cretan is a very distinct dialect that is spoken on the island of Crete. Many think that it is reminiscent of Cypriot Greek but in my opinion they are pretty different. Having spent some time in Greece two summers ago, I appreciate how different all of the different dialects in Greece are. So many aspects of the Cretan dialect reflect how unique the Cretan culture is. Crete has a strong military history and background as well as a strong agricultural industry. All of these are present in the dialect!

What do you need to know before visiting Chania, Crete!

When you're visiting Chania, I personally recommend sticking around the city. The restaurants are fantastic and it's also a city that's right by the water so you'll be able to go to the beach whenever you like. The nightlife is also pretty great, and there's really talented musicians who play live music in the summertime. This video outlines everything about the city perfectly. If you've been, drop some recommendations in the comments!

In Crete you can ski in the morning and have lunch by the sea

Who knew Crete was so versatile! This article outlines all of the amazing things that you can do in Crete including skiing! Crete has many mountains that are over 2,000 meters that are covered in snow during the winter. Once you ski to the bottom, you can a little drive over to any neighbouring town and enjoy a lunch by the water.

What is better: Chania or Iraklio?

What does everyone recommend for a vacation in Crete? Chania or Iraklio? I've never been to the island, but I would really like to travel there this year. I've heard so much about Crete and that is one of the most unique places in Greece. Has anyone been to either of the islands and has a preference for one of them? Why or why not? I'm really trying to narrow down my trip soon and make a decision about where to visit.

Imbros Gorge is a beautiful part of Cretes natural beauty

Crete has some of the most beautiful natural beauty in all of Greece!! Imbros Gorge is a trail that almost reaches 8 kilometres and it is a bit easier to hike than Samaria gorge. You can always take a tour if you are unsure about where to go and if you are scared to get lost. Tours are also a great way to learn more about the history of the island and get to know a bit more from the locals. Cretans are very hospitable and love to sit down with you and drink some raki.
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter