1 - 8 of 8 Posts

xmelissaa

Should I take a guided tour or do you recommend just going up on my own?

Reactions: Hash
Go up on your own, and take a cold bottle of water if you'll be there in the summer. It gets hot as hell up there.

I agree! Going on your own to see the Acropolis, rather than a guided tour is so much better (going at your own pace) and water is needed too!

I used to promote Delos Excursions in Mykonos,and sometimes we had affluent, private clients who wanted exclusive use of the Delos island and private guided viewing, Acropolis is majestic,way too long and much more interesting and historical,if you can find a private guide this would be the best way, early morning say at 7am.... Just reminded me of Angkor Wat here next door in Siem Reap,Cambodia,we hired a private guide for 3 days because that's how long it really takes to enjoy this magnificent archeological site,[I could have spent 1 week].....we were so fortunate to see some monks from a temple I know very well on a pilgrimage chanting Buddhist prayers which I know......the acoustics were Unbelievable...... wouldn't you be lucky if there was
classical Greek music being played there..!?[In August there is a panigiri in Delos..complimentary transfer and wine and Mezedes....and classical music...heaven on earth in the summer ❤️❤️👌....Had I been there I would certainly put you in touch with the most professional tour guides.... Enjoy it either way, take lots of water and a picnic with you, just sit there and take it all in and imagine what Acropolis was really like all those years ago....if you have time go to Zunio....or spelt Sounion.....the second mini Acropolis......I just looked it up..
Just imagine a guided tour whole day.... time to relax and musical odyssey❤️❤️... Kalley Mera from Thailand and monsoons beginning..

Last edited:
Reactions: kosta_karapinotis
You are in Hellas now!!!
Stop planning!!!
Open your heart and explore on your own feel the land where your DNA is from.

Reactions: toniiv
You are in Hellas now!!!
Stop planning!!!
Open your heart and explore on your own feel the land where your DNA is from.
Hahaha good point. Maybe not everything should be planned. Go the Greek way and just wander around

I have done it both ways, and I preferred the tour, at least for the first time. It is nice to get an overview of the history before venturing on my own.

if your intrest is to learn history myths trandition and not just to make photos, a lincened guide will answer in all your questions!

Visiting the Cycladic Museum

Though I will be in Mykonos for a while when I come to Greece (soon!) I will have some time in Athens.

I will be tied up with wedding festivities on Mykonos, but I will have some time. So, I want to learn about the history and culture of the island. I know there has to be more to it there than all the parties and the beach scene.

I plan to visit the Cycladic Museum in Athens to get ready. Is there anything I should keep in mind while I explore the museum?

Athens airport question...

There's a group of us going to Athens and our flights get in the same day, but at different times.

Is there an easy spot to wait for the rest of our group outside of security, like a cafe or restaurant, or even an area with chairs to sit... I have only been to this airport once, and I don't remember any details about what happens after security.

Ancient Eleusis Archaeological Site

I have been to Athens several times, and I didn't know this place existed. Ithas caught my interest due to its rich mythology and pivotal role in ancient Greek religious life.

I understand that Eleusis was a significant center for religious practices, most notably the Eleusinian Mysteries—secret ceremonies held in honor of Demeter and Persephone. However, my knowledge barely scratches the surface, and I’m eager to learn more before my visit.

Has anyone visited it? I don't know much about it and I am trying to figure out if it is worth it. I love Ancient Greek history and mythology and this has the potential to be interesting to me on a lot of different levels.

Interesting Museums I Like in Athens

Athens is rich with museums but there are a few I keep visiting when I get the chance. I always learn something new! My favorite is the museum at the Acropolis, which has a lot of information and artifacts from the area. Here's my list:
  1. The Acropolis Museum: Dominating this list is The Acropolis Museum, built to house every artifact found on the sacred rock of the Acropolis, from the Greek Bronze Age to Roman and Byzantine Greece. A splendid blend of modern and ancient architecture, it holds an incredible array of sculptures and artifacts, including the Caryatids and the Parthenon Frieze.
  2. The National Archaeological Museum: As the largest museum in Greece, this is a treasure trove for history enthusiasts. It boasts an extensive collection of artifacts from ancient Greece, spanning several millennia—pottery, jewelry, sculptures, and the Mask of Agamemnon.
  3. Benaki Museum: Representing various periods throughout Greek history, the Benaki Museum is a private foundation, nestled in the heart of downtown Athens. It offers a comprehensive view of Greek culture from its prehistoric times to the 20th century, with an emphasis on art and everyday objects.
  4. Museum of Cycladic Art: A unique gem in Athens, this museum is home to an exceptional collection of Cycladic art, mostly dating from the Bronze Age. These prehistoric sculptures, with their distinct minimalist aesthetics, are a fascinating window into the ancient Aegean world.
What museums do you like to visit in Athens?

Best Shopping in Athens

My wife and I are going to Greece in a few days. We both like to shop (her more than me) but we've never actually had enough time in Athens to explore the shopping.

Where should we go?

Someone told us Monastiraki is a good choice, but are there other places? We'll have a few days to poke around.
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back