1 - 2 of 2 Posts

dimi_pat

This video offers some great suggestions! Ill definitely be checking these places out when I plan to go this winter :)

Thank you for sharing this video! Next time I go to Thessaloniki, I will keep these in mind. Greek cuisine is delicious and so fresh and beautiful, and this city seems to have some great places to enjoy it.

Food Specialties of Thessaloniki?

I am looking into regional cuisines in Greece and I am actually going to Thessaloniki at some point this year to visit some people. What are some unique dishes, and maybe concepts, that may the culinary food scene here unique?

From my initial research, I understand that Thessaloniki is known for its vibrant markets, exceptional seafood, and sweet treats. However, I'm eager to dig deeper and explore the authentic local specialties that this city has to offer. I believe that the best way to experience a new culture is.

What are some dishes I should look out for? Or maybe some ingredients, too?

Good markets to visit in Thessaloniki?

I'm planning a visit to Thessaloniki soon, and I'm really keen on exploring the local markets there. I've heard that the city is rich in history and culture, and I believe that visiting local markets is one of the best ways to immerse oneself in the local atmosphere and perhaps find some unique items to bring back home.

Does anyone have recommendations for markets in Thessaloniki that are worth visiting? I'm interested in anything from food markets where I can taste local delicacies, to flea markets where I might find interesting antiques or crafts. Also, if you have any tips on the best days and times to visit, as well as what I might expect in terms of items available and price ranges, that would be incredibly helpful!

Looking forward to your suggestions and thank you in advance for sharing your insights!

A newly inaugurated museum in Thessaloniki (and free guided tours offered there)!

In 1922 the Greek population of Asia Minor (or Anatolya, i.e. the asian part of modern Turkey) was expelled from their homeland. Arriving at Greece, they brought together their culture, and, above all, their faith and sacred artefacts. They built new churches, strongholds of their very identity. The entrance of the museum

In the church of St. Marine, east Thessaloniki (37 Agias Marinas str.), on the 200th anniversary of our national tragedy, a new museum was inaugurated. It houses icons and other sacred artefacts carried by Greek refugees. It is a unique opportunity to get to know a completely unknown aspect of our tradition in a completely uncrowded and unknown place of our city! The captions of the various objects, which are exhibited in a small hall, are only in Greek, so if you want to pay a visit, you have to book a guided tour (FOR FREE) via the following mail: [email protected]. The tour includes also the entire church complex (chapel of St. Elena of Sinope, main church of St. Marine). The church is accesible via bus (line 37, stop: Agia Marina, or line 14, stop: Agia Varvara).General view of the church from the north-east

What is the nightlife like in Thessaloniki?

How is the nightlife in Thessaloniki? I have friends who are planning a wedding in the area, but they are not originally from Thessaloniki.

I have been, but I only went to one bar while I was there, and I didn't really venture out much. The people in the group love to dance in clubs, and they love to go out. It may also be that they'd be looking for a place to have a bachelor or bachelorette party.

Heard there was a Christmas market in Thessaloniki?

I want to do something festive this year in Greece. I am going to be in Thessaloniki for a short time and I heard that there is actually a Christmas market? Is it any good?

Do any of you have any details?

I heard the market is in Aristotelous Square, but that's all I know about it. I am assuming there will be vendors and things to buy - maybe I can do some Christmas shopping here?
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back