1 - 4 of 4 Posts

kcixcy

I have noticed when watching traditional Greeks cook, they very rarely have a recipe out. They're simply putting together the recipes. This is especially true for savory cooking. I have a friend who makes cheese pita completely off the top of her head, and each time she makes it, she seems to use slightly different combinations of cheeses, depending on what she can find and what she has on hand. I have seen this with other dishes, as well.

Does anyone have any advice how I can learn to cook this way? Thanks! I know, it might be hard to explain, but I want to develop an "intuition" in the kitchen that I don't seem to have. I always need a recipe.

I have noticed when watching traditional Greeks cook, they very rarely have a recipe out. They're simply putting together the recipes. This is especially true for savory cooking. I have a friend who makes cheese pita completely off the top of her head, and each time she makes it, she seems to use slightly different combinations of cheeses, depending on what she can find and what she has on hand. I have seen this with other dishes, as well.

Does anyone have any advice how I can learn to cook this way? Thanks! I know, it might be hard to explain, but I want to develop an "intuition" in the kitchen that I don't seem to have. I always need a recipe.
I totally understand what style of cooking you are referring to. It’s what we refer to “me to mati” literally mean cooking with just by looking at it.
The only way to cook this way is to get a good cookbook (cooking greek is an awesome cookbook to start) and make the recipes over and over again. This will give you the confidence to trust ur instincts in the kitchen.

Reactions: kcixcy
I totally understand what style of cooking you are referring to. It’s what we refer to “me to mati” literally mean cooking with just by looking at it.
The only way to cook this way is to get a good cookbook (cooking greek is an awesome cookbook to start) and make the recipes over and over again. This will give you the confidence to trust ur instincts in the kitchen.

This is really good advice, and I didn't think of it that way. In other words, maybe follow the recipe as written the first few times, but then don't be afraid to branch out if I have instincts, or if I need to substitute, etc?

Yes for me, I tend to cook a recipe a handful of times when it is the first time, exactly as it is written. Then, as I have instincts or maybe even the need to substitute (like if I don't have an ingredient that the recipe is called for and don't want to go to the store) then I will change things around.

Traditional Greek soups in Greece?

Most of the Greeks I know are from the United States - so it's been a few generations since a lot of them spent extended time in Greece.

From what I understand, Greek cuisine kind of changes. From what I can tell, in the United States, the most popular soup is Egg and Lemon soup (avgolemono) but in Greece, I don't see to as much or rather, hear of it as much.

What are the most popular soups in Greece?

No Meat Dolmades (Stuffed Grape Leaves) Recipe

It has taken me a long time to get vegetarian dolmades to the point where I enjoy them. Here is my recipe. It uses a lot of oil, so strict fasters shouldn't eat them. But most people aren't super strict so I would even say these are good for lent!

Ingredients:​

• 1 jar of grape leaves (about 60-70 leaves)
  • 1 cup short-grain rice
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
  • Juice of 2 lemons
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Water

Instructions:​

1. Prepare the Grape Leaves:
    • If using grape leaves preserved in brine, rinse them well under cold water to remove excess salt. If using fresh grape leaves, blanch them in boiling water for about 1 minute, then drain and rinse with cold water. Trim off any stems.
  2. Prepare the Filling:
    • In a large bowl, combine the rice, chopped onion, minced garlic, chopped dill, chopped mint, chopped parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mix well to combine.
  3. Fill and Roll the Grape Leaves:
    • Place a grape leaf flat on a clean work surface, shiny side down, with the stem end facing you. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the rice filling onto the center of the leaf, near the stem end.
    • Fold the bottom of the leaf over the filling, then fold in the sides, and roll tightly into a small cylinder.
    • Repeat with the remaining grape leaves and filling, arranging the rolled dolmades seam-side down in a large pot or deep skillet, packing them snugly together.
  4. Cook the Dolmades:
    • Once all the dolmades are rolled and packed in the pot, drizzle with a little olive oil and lemon juice.
    • Pour enough water into the pot to just cover the dolmades.
    • Place a heatproof plate or lid directly on top of the dolmades to keep them submerged during cooking.
    • Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer gently for about 45-60 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the grape leaves are tender.

Can you make your own rusks?

I love Cretan Dakos!
There's something about the combination of the crunchy rusk soaked with the juice of ripe tomatoes, topped with fresh cheese and olive oil, that has me hooked!

However, given that I live in an area where it's challenging to find authentic Cretan rusks, I'm contemplating on whether I can bake my own at home. I'm curious if anyone here has attempted to make rusks suitable for dakos from scratch.

I know I can order then online. I tried this, and they didn't survive the shipping too well.

Enjoying Cooking with Greek Honey

One of the things I love most about Greek honey is its versatility. You can use it in so many different ways in the kitchen. I've drizzled it over Greek yogurt for breakfast, mixed it into salad dressings for a touch of sweetness, and even used it as a glaze for roasted vegetables. The depth of flavor it adds to dishes is truly remarkable.

But perhaps my favorite way to use Greek honey is in baking. It adds a wonderful depth of flavor to cakes, cookies, and pastries. I recently made a batch of baklava using Greek honey, and it was a game-changer. The honey soaked into the layers of phyllo dough, creating a sweet and sticky treat that was absolutely irresistible.

I go out of my way to buy it - if I can't find it locally, I get it online. When I go to Greece, I get some in Greece, too.

What do you love to use Greek honey for?

greek-honey.jpg

Greek grilling advice and tips?

It's getting warm out and time to break out the grill! I am interested in how do Greek people in Greece grill? I've had so many delicious grilled foods in Greece, I am having a hard time getting the same flavors here in the United States.

I've tried my hand at a few recipes, aiming to capture that authentic taste, but I feel like there's a deeper level of technique and tradition that I'm just not hitting. From choosing the right ingredients to mastering the grill itself, I know there’s a wealth of subtleties that can turn a good dish into a great one.

Do they use certain marinades or techniques? I've watched people in Greece grill - they don't even really follow recipes.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back