1 - 5 of 5 Posts

voula_slat

I have been reading about some traditional recipes that involve clay pots. I noticed that this is fairly common throughout Greece, but it isn't common necessarily with the Greek diaspora in places like United States, Canada, and Australia. What happened when the people moved to those places? Did they adapt the recipes or keeping using these methods and I just don't realize it? My family must have adapted because no one uses clay pots anymore.

I am trying to figure out how to get started with this cooking method while not in Greece. I am honestly not even sure where to start.

Cooking in a clay pot or gastra
I have been reading about some traditional recipes that involve clay pots. I noticed that this is fairly common throughout Greece, but it isn't common necessarily with the Greek diaspora in places like United States, Canada, and Australia. What happened when the people moved to those places? Did they adapt the recipes or keeping using these methods and I just don't realize it? My family must have adapted because no one uses clay pots anymore.

I am trying to figure out how to get started with this cooking method while not in Greece. I am honestly not even sure where to start.

Cooking in a clay pot or gastra
A gastra is a cooking vessel thst is oblong and is made from clay. For this reason, the pot is heated evenly and cooks evenly.

It has a lid that fits tightly onto the base, so the steam does not escape and condenses on its interior and drops back into the food without any waste of flavors and moisture.

The pots are ideal for slow cooking over embers )or embers can be placed on top as well) or in an oven, resulting in buttery, tender vegetables and meat that falls off the bone.

Gastra can be glazed or unglazed - the unglazed ones are earthier and darken over time, while the glazed ones are recommended for people who cook infrequently.

They would first soak it in water so that its pores would absorb the water. As it heats up the water would evaporated, by transferring the moisture to the air surrounding the food. This way it would ensure your food would cook without burning or drying out and not losing any of its flavors.

This cooking method dated back to Ancient Greek times and has been seen in many other cultures as well.

Even though most Greeks just use a pan for their cooking, there are still plenary of die hard Greeks that use the gastra for cooking but now the just place it in the oven without soaking it.

Reactions: voula_slat
A gastra is a cooking vessel thst is oblong and is made from clay. For this reason, the pot is heated evenly and cooks evenly.

It has a lid that fits tightly onto the base, so the steam does not escape and condenses on its interior and drops back into the food without any waste of flavors and moisture.

The pots are ideal for slow cooking over embers )or embers can be placed on top as well) or in an oven, resulting in buttery, tender vegetables and meat that falls off the bone.

Gastra can be glazed or unglazed - the unglazed ones are earthier and darken over time, while the glazed ones are recommended for people who cook infrequently.

They would first soak it in water so that its pores would absorb the water. As it heats up the water would evaporated, by transferring the moisture to the air surrounding the food. This way it would ensure your food would cook without burning or drying out and not losing any of its flavors.

This cooking method dated back to Ancient Greek times and has been seen in many other cultures as well.

Even though most Greeks just use a pan for their cooking, there are still plenary of die hard Greeks that use the gastra for cooking but now the just place it in the oven without soaking it.
This is fascinating!! I saw it in Greece only once, with someone cooking with the pot outside. How long do the really traditional cooks soak the gastra?

When I was on Crete, I was somewhere (I forget where!) eating at a little out of the way taverna. They were so excited to show us their kitchen. It was tiny and I was amazed at the beautiful food they served in such a small facility. Kitchen was in their house. They did have a huge outdoor oven, and they used clay cookware in that oven. I will never forget it! And the chicken they made in one of the vessels was phenomenal. I would say to you, try to buy one of the vessels and experiment.

Best Greek Wine Regions?

I'm on a quest to discover the finest vineyards Greece has to offer. With a winemaking history that spans over four millennia, it has a rich wine tradition even though a lot of people don't know much about it.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has explored Greek wine regions or from connoisseurs who have a particular fondness for Greek varieties. What regions should I place at the top of my list, and are there any specific vineyards or wines that are absolute must-trys?

From the famed Santorini Assyrtiko to the bold reds of Nemea, I'm eager to taste and learn about the exceptional flavors and story behind each bottle. Whether it's a little-known gem or an iconic estate, I'm all ears for your recommendations.

Enjoying Cooking with Greek Honey

One of the things I love most about Greek honey is its versatility. You can use it in so many different ways in the kitchen. I've drizzled it over Greek yogurt for breakfast, mixed it into salad dressings for a touch of sweetness, and even used it as a glaze for roasted vegetables. The depth of flavor it adds to dishes is truly remarkable.

But perhaps my favorite way to use Greek honey is in baking. It adds a wonderful depth of flavor to cakes, cookies, and pastries. I recently made a batch of baklava using Greek honey, and it was a game-changer. The honey soaked into the layers of phyllo dough, creating a sweet and sticky treat that was absolutely irresistible.

I go out of my way to buy it - if I can't find it locally, I get it online. When I go to Greece, I get some in Greece, too.

What do you love to use Greek honey for?

greek-honey.jpg

Roundup of Easy Recipes to Start Cooking Greek Food

I know a lot of people who want to start cooking Greek food but are intimidated. I want to help them out by brainstorming a list of "easy win" foods to get started making.

Here's what I have - do you have anything to add?

• Greek Village Salad (Horiatiki)
  • Tzatziki
  • Greek Lemon Chicken
  • Greek Lemon Potatoes
  • Souvlaki
  • Greek yogurt with honey and walnuts
  • Grilled Halloumi cheese
  • Fasolakia
  • Briam
  • Greek style lamb chops

Greek methods of food preservation?

I remember my family doing some things to preserve food as I was growing up but we got away from them. The thing is, some of the options were actually delicious! My yiayia made sun-dried tomatoes, spoon sweets, her own tomato paste, etc. It was one of the things that made her food delicious.

I am trying to figure out what she did! I am curious if anyone knows anything about the following:

- Traditional Techniques: I know the ancient Greeks did a lot of preserving and some of the methods translate to modern?
- Modern Adaptations to Old Techniques: Maybe to make the process easier?
- Local Variations: Are there different regional things?

What is the best street food in Greece?

What do you consider the best street food in Greece? Are there any specific dishes or local delicacies that you dream of having again? Also, if you have recommendations for particular places or vendors, that would be fantastic!

Here's what I've got on my list so far:
  • Souvlaki
  • Gyros
  • Loukoumades
  • Spanakopita
  • Bougatsa
But I'd like to go beyond the usual and try the real local flavors that might not be as famous internationally. I'm open to suggestions from all over Greece. I have an idea of what I like but want to see what others say.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back