1 - 4 of 4 Posts
I just got back from Greece and one thing I noticed, which I didn't realize about Greece, is that there were a fair amount of pasta dishes on the menu.

As a kid, we didn't eat a lot of pasta. All we did was make a Greek-style meat sauce with spaghetti, pastitsio, and a pasta dish that involves an egg that I believe came from some family members that were from the Peloponnese.

What else do people make? I see a lot of Italian inspired pasta dishes. Are they any traditionally Greek dishes.

All the typical Italian pasta dishes I would see on menus occasionally. There are also some Greek pasta dishes I love:

- Pasta sauce made with Greek yogurt. It looks and tastes a bit like Alfredo, but a little tangier.
- Pasta dish made with olive oil, fried egg, and grated cheese. I think this dish may have come from somewhere in the Peloponnese. My family has roots there and we made it all the time.
- Greek meat sauce with a thinner tomato sauce than the Italian version, and spiced with some cinnamon!
- Pastitsio - the baked meat and macaroni dish - sometimes called Greek Lasagna, but it isn't really that

All the typical Italian pasta dishes I would see on menus occasionally. There are also some Greek pasta dishes I love:

- Pasta sauce made with Greek yogurt. It looks and tastes a bit like Alfredo, but a little tangier.
- Pasta dish made with olive oil, fried egg, and grated cheese. I think this dish may have come from somewhere in the Peloponnese. My family has roots there and we made it all the time.
- Greek meat sauce with a thinner tomato sauce than the Italian version, and spiced with some cinnamon!
- Pastitsio - the baked meat and macaroni dish - sometimes called Greek Lasagna, but it isn't really that
Oh my yeeesss, the pasta with the fried egg hails from the region of mani and it is called Tzouxti.
It is a simple dish that the ladies from Mani would make because they were to busy working the fields that they needed some quick easy and affordable (since meat back in the day was a luxury).

Oh my yeeesss, the pasta with the fried egg hails from the region of mani and it is called Tzouxti.
It is a simple dish that the ladies from Mani would make because they were to busy working the fields that they needed some quick easy and affordable (since meat back in the day was a luxury).
That's fascinating I never knew the dish name was called Tzouchti - for my pappou and dad it was comfort food - I always suspected that side of the family was from Mani but we never talked about it for some reason.

List of traditional Greek dishes to try making at home?

I'm curious to hear your recommendations on the top traditional Greek dishes that one can try making at home. While traveling to Greece to experience the authentic flavors firsthand would be ideal, it's not always possible. So, what's the next best thing? Recreating those delicious dishes in our own kitchens!

I've always been fascinated by Greek cuisine, known for its rich flavors and healthy ingredients. But with so many iconic dishes out there, it's hard to decide where to start. I'd love to get some insights from those of you who have either visited Greece or have experience cooking Greek food at home.

Here are a few dishes I've heard are must-tries:
  1. Moussaka
  2. Souvlaki
  3. Spanakopita
  4. Dolmades
  5. Baklava
What would you add? Thanks so much!

List of Famous Greek Chefs?

I'm looking to explore the world of Greek cuisine and would love to get a list of famous Greek chefs. Who are the top chefs in Greece known for their exceptional culinary skills and contributions to Greek gastronomy?

I'd appreciate any recommendations, whether they are well-known for traditional dishes or modern takes on Greek food.

Thanks in advance! Content can be in Greek or English too.

Favorite Greek comfort foods?

I'm curious to know: what are your favorite Greek comfort foods?

Personally, I've heard a lot about moussaka and spanakopita, but I haven't had the chance to try them yet. Do you have any recommendations or recipes for these dishes? Or perhaps there are other less-known but equally delicious Greek comfort foods I should be aware of?

Looking forward to hearing your favorites and any tips you have for making or finding these comforting dishes!

Popular Greek Foods to Serve at Weddings?

I am involved with planning a wedding where much of the cooking is going to be done by family, just like it is in Greece.

What are the popular and most common foods to serve at weddings in Greece? In that family many of them had been born in Greece so I am curious about what to expect.

Many of them haven't told me what they are cooking and I want to make sure there's enough food. All they basically say is, "We are making typical wedding foods like you'll find in Greece."

Tips on How to Make Greek Olive Bread

I'm a big fan of Mediterranean cuisine and lately, I've been craving some authentic Greek olive bread. I've tried a couple of recipes, but I still feel there's something missing to make it just right.

Does anyone have any tried-and-true tips or secret ingredients that can elevate my Greek olive bread? I'm especially interested in:
  • Types of olives that work best
  • Tips for getting the perfect crust
  • Any herbs or spices that add authentic flavor
  • Baking techniques that ensure a soft, flavorful inside
Looking forward to hearing your suggestions! Thanks in advance for your help.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back