1 - 6 of 6 Posts

francescool

One big part of Greek Culture is communication. My family is Italian, so I totally get it. Now that I'm in Greece, I'm reminded of how passionate and loud Greeks are. I love and appreciate this fact and I hope everyone else does to. Don't be alarmed or taken aback if someone communicates differently than you, just take it in stride and learn to appreciate it :)

Some things Greeks do is

1. They stick their tongue to the front of the roof ot their mouth, create a suction and pull down - it will create a sound, and I don't remember the name of the sound in English. If you ask a Greek a question and you hear them make that noise then it means "no".

2. If a Greek raises their head the way we say "what's up?" Then it also means "no"

3. A common hand sign for the word elegant is to raise your hand in front of you with your palm pointed up, pull your hand down while touching all of your fingers together at the same time.

Reactions: paharo45
It's crazy that the same gesture for what's up is also no. It's all about the context!! Those who are newer to the language like me need to pay a little bit more attention to catch on to smaller gestures like these
Some things Greeks do is

1. They stick their tongue to the front of the roof ot their mouth, create a suction and pull down - it will create a sound, and I don't remember the name of the sound in English. If you ask a Greek a question and you hear them make that noise then it means "no".

2. If a Greek raises their head the way we say "what's up?" Then it also means "no"

3. A common hand sign for the word elegant is to raise your hand in front of you with your palm pointed up, pull your hand down while touching all of your fingers together at the same time.

It's crazy that the same gesture for what's up is also no. It's all about the context!! Those who are newer to the language like me need to pay a little bit more attention to catch on to smaller gestures like these
Yea, this is not something widely known outside of Greece. Another thing to pay attention to is someone flashing their headlights at you when you're waiting at a crosswalk. In the USA if someone flashes their headlights at you then the driver is telling you to go, but in Greece it means "I'm coming through". Good way to get hit at a crosswalk if you don't know what it means in Greece.

Reactions: ssherie_
Yea, this is not something widely known outside of Greece. Another thing to pay attention to is someone flashing their headlights at you when you're waiting at a crosswalk. In the USA if someone flashes their headlights at you then the driver is telling you to go, but in Greece it means "I'm coming through". Good way to get hit at a crosswalk if you don't know what it means in Greece.
First time I've seen a potentially life saving tip on a travel/culture forum! Wow, I will definitely try to remember this tip. Another thing I've noticed is that in Greece when a car is going to stop, pull over, or slow down they put their hazards on, not something I really see in Canada a whole lot.

One big part of Greek Culture is communication. My family is Italian, so I totally get it. Now that I'm in Greece, I'm reminded of how passionate and loud Greeks are. I love and appreciate this fact and I hope everyone else does to. Don't be alarmed or taken aback if someone communicates differently than you, just take it in stride and learn to appreciate it :)

Greeks are definitely passionate. I notice similarities between the Greeks and Italians when I am in Italy, as well. In fact, when in Europe I often get mistaken for an Italian. lol

List of Cretan Dances?

I will be attending a Cretan wedding and am curious about the traditional Cretan dances! I know the dances are slightly different and I want to learn some. I don't know the names of the dances so that I can look them up. I did some research, though. Are any of these dances common at these weddings?
  • Pentozali
  • Sousta
  • Siganos
  • Chaniotis
There's a dance the wedding party typically does in Crete. Which dance is that?

When does Orthodox lent start this year?

I noticed our Easter is late - May 5th - but Western Easter is at the end of March. Has Lent already started for them? When does our Lent start?

This year, I plan to do a stricter Lenten fast, so I want to plan some things out in advance.

Lent is a time for introspection, repentance, and spiritual growth. Through the dedicated practice of fasting, prayer, and charity, believers seek not only to grow closer to God but also to better understand themselves in relation to God’s will.

Advice about making Greek coffee

I've developed a fascination with Greek culture and cuisine, and one aspect I'm particularly eager to explore is Greek coffee. I've heard that it's a unique and delicious brew, but I'm not quite sure how to make it at home.

I understand that Greek coffee is traditionally prepared using a special pot called a briki, but beyond that, I'm a bit lost. What type of coffee grounds should I use, and how finely should they be ground? Are there any specific brands or blends that are favored for making Greek coffee?

I'm also curious about the brewing process itself. Is there a particular technique for achieving that rich, foamy texture that Greek coffee is known for? And what about serving suggestions? Are there any traditional accompaniments or customs that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Where did plate smashing come from?

When Greeks feel happy and are dancing and have a good time, they've been known to smash plates. I've seen it! It's not just a tourist thing - but they don't do it much because I am sure they won't want to smash their expensive dish wear.

I was just at a wedding and they had purchased plates to smash - so basically they were cheap throwaway plates that actually smashed really well. I almost wonder if they were made for the purpose...

It got me thinking - where did this tradition come from? Does anyone know?

Netflix Show about Alexander the Great

I just noticed there was a show about Alexander the Great on Netflix. How is it?

I have been noticing some buzz that it's fairly controversial, but those who are unhappy about it ... I can't tell if they actually know about him, or if they are just upset about how he was depicted.

I am trying to figure out if I want to watch it so your honest reviews are welcome.

I have studied Alexander the Great a little bit and no a bit about his life, so I am sincerely hoping it's worth my time. I am between shows at the moment.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back