1 - 6 of 6 Posts

kosta_karapinotis

Happy Greek Independence Day everyone! I'm so grateful to have this platform and community. I wish everyone health, safety, and happiness. How are all of you celebrating today? Drop your pics in this thread! 🇬🇷

Reactions: vickic
Zito Ellas!!! 🇬🇷🇬🇷🇬🇷🇬🇷

Happy 200th Greek Independence Day!!

E194594A-9598-4A48-A405-5DCD8CDAAF40.jpeg

Zito H Ellada! ❤️

Reactions: axariotisxy
Happy Greek Independence Day! It's been 200 years since Greece gained its independence.

IMG_3671.jpeg

Happy Greek Independence Day everyone! I'm so grateful to have this platform and community. I wish everyone health, safety, and happiness. How are all of you celebrating today? Drop your pics in this thread! 🇬🇷
Happy Greek Independence Day!
Happy Greek Independence Day! I wonder how people in Greece are celebrating today. I am wearing my blue and white and watched Annunciation of the Theotokos liturgy on livestream. Metropolitan Alexios sent a beautiful letter that was read at the service that explained very beautifully what our ancestors went through.

This is how i'm celebrating today! Zito 🇬🇷

salad.jpg

Reactions: Joni T.

How do I learn traditional Greek dance?

I've recently developed an interest in traditional Greek dance and would love some advice on how to get started. I've seen videos of dances like the Syrtaki and Kalamatianos, and they look both fun and challenging. I'm not sure where to begin, though.

Does anyone have recommendations for learning resources, such as books, online tutorials, or instructional DVDs? Are there particular dances that are best for beginners? Additionally, I'm curious if there are any local dance groups or cultural organizations that might offer classes or workshops. I'm especially interested in experiencing the community aspect of Greek dance, so any advice on finding dance events or festivals would be greatly appreciated.

How to choose godparents?

I'm currently planning a baptism for a child in the Greek Orthodox Church and finding myself at a bit of a crossroads. One of the most significant decisions we're facing is choosing the right godparents. I understand that in our tradition, the role of a godparent is not only a great honor but also carries profound spiritual and moral responsibilities. They are to guide the child in the Orthodox faith, ensuring they grow in the church and its teachings.

How do you choose? I have a few candidates and am trying to narrow it down.

Daily Life in the Villages?

I'm curious about daily life in Greek villages. What is it like to live in these rural areas? How do people typically spend their days? I'm interested in learning about their routines, social activities, and community events.

Also, how does village life differ from life in the cities? Are there specific traditions or customs that are more prevalent in the villages? I’d love to hear about local cuisine, any unique festivals, and how people maintain their homes and farms.

If anyone has personal experiences or insights into the rhythms of daily life in Greek villages, please share! I'm eager to understand more about this aspect of Greek culture and what makes village life special.

Kalley Mera, Kalllo Mina!!💖❤️

Kalley Mera Kalllo Mina from Thailand to all here!💖❤️

Appropriate clothing for Holy Week services?

I was going to wear a floral dress to the service on Good Friday - I pretty much always do - and someone made a comment that they didn't think it's appropriate because it is a service of mourning.

You know, I guess that makes sense - but I haven't that much of it. What are your thoughts on it? I ended up choosing an outfit that looked a little more somber.

I am curious about the best things to wear through Holy Week! I am assuming the really spring-like colors are best on Pascha?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back