1 - 5 of 5 Posts

mastichas09

I am trying to learn more about the history of the Orthodox Church in Greece. I know that there are some Bible passages that mention the Apostle Paul being in Greece, but I am not clear on the actual history.

For example, Ephesians was written about "Ephesus", which was part of Greece at that time. But, when I read the Bible I like to have more of an historical context. I am sure this information exists, I am just not sure where.

I am trying to learn more about the history of the Orthodox Church in Greece. I know that there are some Bible passages that mention the Apostle Paul being in Greece, but I am not clear on the actual history.

For example, Ephesians was written about "Ephesus", which was part of Greece at that time. But, when I read the Bible I like to have more of an historical context. I am sure this information exists, I am just not sure where.
The Orthodox Study Bible, the one with the OT and NT, has a good synopsis of the history of each of the gospels and the epistles. It is available from Amazon. There is a cheaper on line version. I didn't see it on Amazon but you can check. I find navigating within the on line version difficult.

Reactions: mastichas09
I agree about the Orthodox Study Bible. Koine Greek was the main language of the New Testament, so Greece was important. Off the top of my head, Ephesians was written in "Greece" (it's in Turkey now, but at the time it was part of Greece), I and II Corinthians (written in Corinth), and the book of Revelations was written in a place called the Cave of the Apocalypse in Patmos, Greece. There could be more, but I am not sure.

The Orthodox Study Bible, the one with the OT and NT, has a good synopsis of the history of each of the gospels and the epistles. It is available from Amazon. There is a cheaper on line version. I didn't see it on Amazon but you can check. I find navigating within the on line version difficult.
All of you, Above Writers, do well in pointing out that, for example, Letters in the NT were addressed to newly formed Xian communities/churches [Ephesus, Corinth, etc.], but unfortunately did not refer to sources about the other half of the organized religion, namely the liturgy -- e.g., the Eucharistic Service which was also copied and developed in Rome as the Mass. Some Greek phrases-- were left untranslated and are still used in the Latin liturgy. [This new Pope --a communist and a heretic -- is about to eliminate the use of Latin....] Some church music -- antiphonal -- was fruitfully brought to Italy in the 4th century.

Reactions: mastichas09
Hmmm... does anyone know of a book I can read besides the study Bible that could give some information? There really isn't much online! Thank you to those who have chimed in so far!

What is Oxi Day?

I am most knowledgeable about the cuisine of Greece. I love to cook, and I learned how to make traditional Greek foods from my family.

Food is what we discussed, talked about, and enjoyed together over the years.

We barely talk about history - so when I happened to learn about Ohi Day in passing by poking around some Greek sites, I was surprised it wasn't talked about in my household growing up.

I want to know more about Ohi Day and why we celebrate. Any advice as to where to start?

Learning about Greek Independence Day

March 25th marks a significant celebration in Greece, but I realize my knowledge on its historical context is quite limited.

From what I understand, this day commemorates the start of the War of Greek Independence in 1821, where Greece sought to end several centuries of Ottoman rule. However, I'm eager to learn more about the intricacies of this period, the key figures involved, and how the struggle for independence unfolded over time.

Additionally, I'd be interested in understanding how this day is celebrated across Greece today and whether any particular traditions are tied to it. For example, are there specific ceremonies, parades, or family traditions that uniquely mark this day in Greek culture?

Greek-flag.jpg

Information About Alexander the Great

I have always been fascinated by Alexander the Great. I have this sense that depending on how you look at what he did, you could see it differently.

Sure, he conquered and spread hellenism. But what about the place he conquered? How did they feel? I am guessing not very favorable towards him.

If found this documentary on YouTube created by the history channel. I thought I'd watch it. I found it interesting and wanted to share.

Interesting Greek History Topics I Like

The Persian Wars: The wars fought between Greece and the Persian empire in the 5th century BC were some of the most consequential conflicts of ancient times. Learn about the key events, such as the Battle of Marathon and the Battle of Thermopylae, and the strategies that allowed the Greeks to repel the Persian invaders.

The Rise of Athens: Arguably the most influential city-state in ancient Greece, Athens was the birthplace of democracy, philosophy, and the arts. Follow the rise of Athens from a humble village to a powerhouse of trade and culture.

The Peloponnesian War: The decades-long conflict between Athens and Sparta was a turning point in Greek history, leading to the decline of Athens and the rise of Macedon under Philip II and his son Alexander.

The Life of Alexander the Great: The young conqueror who led his armies across the known world, Alexander the Great is one of the most famous and admired figures of ancient history. Learn about his upbringing, his conquests, and his legacy.

The Olympic Games: A tradition that continues to this day, the ancient Olympics were a celebration of sports, culture, and political power. Explore the origins of the games and the events that took place.

Studying the Trojan War - Was it Real?

Did the Trojan War really happen? I am doing a bit of research and wanted to know what you guys thought:

The war is believed to have happened around 1200 BCE, and while there is no concrete evidence to support its occurrence, it is widely accepted as factual.

What is confusing me is how prevalent it is in Greek Mythology. In addition to the gods' involvement in the conflict, various stories and legends were added over time to give the tale more depth and drama. For example, the character of Achilles was said to be invulnerable except for his heel, which led to the phrase "Achilles heel" being used to describe a person's one weakness.

While some scholars once dismissed the Trojan War as pure myth, modern archaeological evidence has suggested that it may have been a real event. Excavations at the ancient site of Troy have revealed evidence of a long period of conflict and destruction, and historians have found similarities between the tale as it is told in ancient texts and what is known about the region's history at the time. While many details of the Trojan War are still shrouded in mystery, it seems increasingly likely that it was not just a legend but a real event that has been passed down through the ages.
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back