1 - 2 of 2 Posts

acamp7

I've been stocking up on phyllo from the Greek supermarket for quite some time… about six months in the freezer. How long will it stay fresh for? And when will I need to use it by? If anyone has advice I would really appreciate it.

There are shortages, I don't blame you for stocking up. I've kept Phyllo in the freezer for up to a year!

Greek Lenten Foods?

Lent is coming up. I find myself planning for fasting... I tend to cut out meat and dairy, and then I obey a strict fast during Holy Week.

I would like recommendations on Greek lenten foods. I'm particularly interested in dishes that are traditionally consumed during this period, which abstain from meat and dairy products. I'd love to learn not just about the types of dishes but also a bit about the significance or history behind them if you happen to know.

Any recipes, cooking tips, or even restaurant suggestions where I can find authentic Greek lenten dishes would be greatly appreciated. I’m excited to broaden my culinary horizons and perhaps incorporate some of these traditions into my own practices.

How to Make Greek Yogurt at Home?

I have a yogurt machine and have been making yogurt with varying degrees of success. I decided I wanted to try making Greek yogurt! Now what? Some questions:

• What kind of milk should I use?
  • What starter should I use?
  • Do I have to strain it?
I can't think of anything else to ask. I am also thinking of calling the yogurt machine company and asking them...

greek-yogurt.jpg

What is tsipouro?

Today, I'm curious to learn more about a Greek spirit that's caught my attention — Tsipouro. Often mentioned alongside other legendary beverages like Ouzo, Tsipouro seems to be a significant part of Greek culinary and social tradition, yet it doesn't seem to have the same international fame.

From what little I've gathered, Tsipouro is a strong distilled spirit made from grape pomace, the residue left after wine production. But my understanding barely scratches the surface. I am curious first of all if this is the same thing as Raki on Crete. Also, on Crete I had Raki with honey - can you do that with Tsipouro?

tsipouro-greek-spirit.jpg

Choosing a Greek Olive Oil to Use for Cooking

I've recently become fascinated with the nuances of cooking oils, specifically Greek olive oil, and I'm curious about how others go about selecting the right one for their cooking needs. With its renowned flavor profile and health benefits, Greek olive oil is a staple in my kitchen. However, with so many varieties and flavor strengths (from robust to mild), I often find myself overwhelmed by the choices.

I have a great olive oil that I use as a finisher or to put on salad. I love the flavor so much. I only have a small quantity, though. So, I want to preserve it. In other words, I don't want to use it for cooking, I think it will ruin it.

How do I really choose a Greek olive oil to cook with?

greek-olive-oil.jpg

Making Greek lemon potatoes?

I just had lemon potatoes at a restaurant and although I know how to cook Greek food, somehow I have never made this!

I took my best guess (I didn't look up a recipe) and it didn't taste great. Basically, I made a Ladolemono, drizzled it on the potatoes, and roasted them.

They never really got crispy - so my next thought is that I put too much of the ladolemono.

So the next time I made them, I put less of the ladolemono. I couldn't really taste the lemon.

Next, I am going to look up a recipe, but meanwhile I am curious what you guys do to make these.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back