1 - 5 of 5 Posts
I had this amazing bifteki (Greek style hamburger) in Greece. It was so flavorful, not like American hamburger meat that's just seasoned with salt and pepper. Does anyone know how to make it at home?

bifteki.jpg

• Love
Reactions: ssherie_
I like to combine parsely, dill, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, oregano, bread crumbs, egg, and milk! I don't know the actual measurements LOL sorry. That's just the way that Greeks cook..with their eyes

Reactions: mitch
I had this amazing bifteki (Greek style hamburger) in Greece. It was so flavorful, not like American hamburger meat that's just seasoned with salt and pepper. Does anyone know how to make it at home?

View attachment 257
I make 3lb of ground chuck 80/20 half med onion chopped . I don't measure but I would say at least 3/4 tablespoon garlic powder tablespoon of ground Greek oregano 2 teaspoon sweet basal 1 teaspoon thyme 1 tablespoon parsley 1 tablespoon imported parmesan cheese. I do the same mix in my meat balls except I add unseasoned bread crumbs . Roll into balls warm pan with oil height enough to medium height of meat balls. Flour meat balls before placing in oil. Golf ball size cooks in about 15 - 20 min drain in colander as they brown.

Reactions: voula_slat
I make 3lb of ground chuck 80/20 half med onion chopped . I don't measure but I would say at least 3/4 tablespoon garlic powder tablespoon of ground Greek oregano 2 teaspoon sweet basal 1 teaspoon thyme 1 tablespoon parsley 1 tablespoon imported parmesan cheese. I do the same mix in my meat balls except I add unseasoned bread crumbs . Roll into balls warm pan with oil height enough to medium height of meat balls. Flour meat balls before placing in oil. Golf ball size cooks in about 15 - 20 min drain in colander as they brown.
Do you cook them with olive oil or canola oil?

If you know how to make Greek meatballs, it is pretty the same mixture. In my family we make it with salt, pepper, chopped onion, fresh spearmint, parsley, and a little oregano. Once the mixture is mixed, you form it into patties instead of balls. I like to grill mine just like a regular hamburger.

Greek Halva Recipe to Enjoy During Lent?

I love Halva year round but I often see it a lot during Lent. My recipe doesn't seem Lent friendly to me. Any ideas on how I can adapt it?

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup semolina
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup chopped almonds or walnuts (optional)
  • 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
Instructions:
  1. In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
  2. Add the semolina to the melted butter and stir continuously for about 5-7 minutes, or until the semolina turns golden brown and begins to emit a nutty aroma.
  3. While stirring the semolina mixture, gradually add the sugar and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes until the sugar is fully incorporated.
  4. Slowly pour in the water, stirring constantly to avoid lumps from forming. Be careful as the mixture may splatter.
  5. Reduce the heat to low and continue stirring the mixture until it thickens to a porridge-like consistency, about 5-7 minutes.
  6. Stir in the ground cinnamon and optional chopped nuts and raisins, if using.
  7. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the halva rest for a few minutes to thicken further.
  8. Serve the halva warm or at room temperature, either as a dessert or a sweet breakfast treat.

What is the best street food in Greece?

What do you consider the best street food in Greece? Are there any specific dishes or local delicacies that you dream of having again? Also, if you have recommendations for particular places or vendors, that would be fantastic!

Here's what I've got on my list so far:
  • Souvlaki
  • Gyros
  • Loukoumades
  • Spanakopita
  • Bougatsa
But I'd like to go beyond the usual and try the real local flavors that might not be as famous internationally. I'm open to suggestions from all over Greece. I have an idea of what I like but want to see what others say.

Best Greek Wine Regions?

I'm on a quest to discover the finest vineyards Greece has to offer. With a winemaking history that spans over four millennia, it has a rich wine tradition even though a lot of people don't know much about it.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has explored Greek wine regions or from connoisseurs who have a particular fondness for Greek varieties. What regions should I place at the top of my list, and are there any specific vineyards or wines that are absolute must-trys?

From the famed Santorini Assyrtiko to the bold reds of Nemea, I'm eager to taste and learn about the exceptional flavors and story behind each bottle. Whether it's a little-known gem or an iconic estate, I'm all ears for your recommendations.

Roundup of Easy Recipes to Start Cooking Greek Food

I know a lot of people who want to start cooking Greek food but are intimidated. I want to help them out by brainstorming a list of "easy win" foods to get started making.

Here's what I have - do you have anything to add?

• Greek Village Salad (Horiatiki)
  • Tzatziki
  • Greek Lemon Chicken
  • Greek Lemon Potatoes
  • Souvlaki
  • Greek yogurt with honey and walnuts
  • Grilled Halloumi cheese
  • Fasolakia
  • Briam
  • Greek style lamb chops

Can you make your own rusks?

I love Cretan Dakos!
There's something about the combination of the crunchy rusk soaked with the juice of ripe tomatoes, topped with fresh cheese and olive oil, that has me hooked!

However, given that I live in an area where it's challenging to find authentic Cretan rusks, I'm contemplating on whether I can bake my own at home. I'm curious if anyone here has attempted to make rusks suitable for dakos from scratch.

I know I can order then online. I tried this, and they didn't survive the shipping too well.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back