1 - 2 of 2 Posts

nadellii

One of Greece's most classic dishes is chicken with lemon and potatoes in the oven. The chicken is cooked slowly and tenderly until its crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. The recipe is simple, you need to start with one whole chicken and 10 potatoes. Season both the chicken and the cut and peeled potatoes with salt, pepper, oregano and then add olive oil, lemon and chopped garlic. It's really that simple. Then bake at 375 degrees F until the chicken is cooked!

Do you know how much lemon should I put? I have tried to do this, but I either put too much or too little lemon and I don't know how to tell.

Making Greek lemon potatoes?

I just had lemon potatoes at a restaurant and although I know how to cook Greek food, somehow I have never made this!

I took my best guess (I didn't look up a recipe) and it didn't taste great. Basically, I made a Ladolemono, drizzled it on the potatoes, and roasted them.

They never really got crispy - so my next thought is that I put too much of the ladolemono.

So the next time I made them, I put less of the ladolemono. I couldn't really taste the lemon.

Next, I am going to look up a recipe, but meanwhile I am curious what you guys do to make these.

Planning a "Greek" Garden - Tips?

Nothing tastes better than vegetables, fruits, herbs, et cetera that have come straight from the earth to the plate. The only way to really have full control is to grow a lot of food on my own. I am sure this is one of the reasons why food tastes so good in Greece.

It's time to start planning my garden because before I know it, I will need to start planting. And, I might want to start some things from seed. I know realistically I won't be able to grow 100% of my produce, but I would at least like to contribute.

What should I plant?

Priority are tomatoes. I would also like to grow some lettuce and other things. Bell peppers. For herbs, oregano, basil, dill, parsley, mint. Maybe cucumbers and squash? Was thinking maybe to grow strawberries and some other fruits - but fruit seems a lot tricker.

What do you guys think?

Favorite Greek Seafood?

I love Greek cuisine! I have learned that it many regions in Greece, seafood is a big part of the culinary traditions.

This got me thinking, and I'm curious to know—what's your favorite Greek seafood dish? Do you also have a favorite fish that you like to eat?

I'm eager to hear about your experiences and preferences!

Thanks in advance ...

Greek Lenten Foods?

Lent is coming up. I find myself planning for fasting... I tend to cut out meat and dairy, and then I obey a strict fast during Holy Week.

I would like recommendations on Greek lenten foods. I'm particularly interested in dishes that are traditionally consumed during this period, which abstain from meat and dairy products. I'd love to learn not just about the types of dishes but also a bit about the significance or history behind them if you happen to know.

Any recipes, cooking tips, or even restaurant suggestions where I can find authentic Greek lenten dishes would be greatly appreciated. I’m excited to broaden my culinary horizons and perhaps incorporate some of these traditions into my own practices.

What are 5 ingredients of Greek cuisine you can't live without?

I am working on stocking a better pantry for cooking Greek foods, but I thought I'd do something fun.

I would love it if you could share with me your top five staple ingredients for Greek cuisine and maybe a little but about why.

I am going to share mine to get things started:

1. Feta Cheese - Of course! Greek food wouldn't be the same.
2. Phyllo - I have learned that I won't make my own, so I have to keep it on hand.
3. Greek olive oil - I should have put this first! I can't live without olive oil lol
4. Greek oregano - I bring a bunch back from Greece or order it online when I run out. Nothing beats it!
5. Greek olives - I like to keep 2-3 different types on hand - I get these from a local Greek store.

What are your choices?

greek-pantry-items.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back