1 - 3 of 3 Posts

kcixcy

I am six months pregnant and I'm married to a Greek guy and we've been having lots of discussion about Godparents. I'm not Greek so I don't know too much about Godparents and I've never had any. Could anyone give me some advice on how to choose Godparents? I’m so lost!!

elena

I am Greek. I moved to America 2 years ago. I have been a godmother since I was 12 years old. In order to find a godfather or godmother you need to find a person who is a) Greek Christian orthodox b) you want your child to learn from them c) you are very close with the person and their family.

dimi_pat

This is definitely a bit tricky. Some people don't even know their Godparents, but for others they're super close to their Godparents and their relationship means a lot to them. It really depends on how the relationships play out. And it's hard to predict that when your baby is so young. Many people choose their close friends or their sibling or other important family member to be the Godparent. It's easier that way because you know that the person is going to stick around and want to be a part of the child’s life.

How much money is acceptable for a Greek baptism gift?

I'm going to a Greek baptism this summer in Athens and I was wondering how much money is normal for a baptism gift. I've been to many baptisms before but my family is Catholic so I don't know how Greek baptisms are different.

Why do Greek Orthodox people fast?

I live in a predominately Greek neighborhood and a lot of my neighbors and friends are always talking about fasting… but I'm a little confused. I didn't know some Christians fasted. What is Greek orthodox fasting? What are you allowed eat or do and what are you not allowed to do?

Why Do Greeks crack eggs for Easter?

Hey guys, what's this tradition all about? Does cracking eggs mean anything or is it just a fun game?

Favorite Greek games?

I'm feeling a little nostalgic today. My favorite Greek game is tavli (I love playing with Grandpa)! What is yours?

tavli.jpeg

What should I expect at a Greek wedding?

I'm going to a Greek wedding this summer for the first time, are there any customs I should be aware of? I'm so excited!!

SHARE THIS BELOW:

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter