1 - 9 of 9 Posts

nadellii

This is what Mykonos is like for the locals!

Reactions: Hash and Jawge

How beautiful, I will try to search for this side of Mykonos when I go back next summer

This is so amazing! I have not been to Mykonos in many years, after seeing this it just makes me miss Mykonos and Greece!

Here are some Mykonos travel guides that might help if you are looking to plan a trip:

This is Ano Mera,my village square for many years as I lived 2 kilometres from there....It is not always like this with Donkeys in the square...!!..... This video is taken for a group tour in 2019..... But still a rural village feeling especially behind the Square and the fields with some sheep, goats and Donkeys... few chickens flying around chasing hens...😂 😂.....The Monastery is a must visit..... just to light a candle and pay respect and be silent for a few minutes.... Insightfully blissful.❤️🇬🇷🇬🇷

Life in the villages is certainly different than the cities. That is one thing that struck me during my time in Greece. Village life is a lot simpler, it seems.

Life in the villages is certainly different than the cities. That is one thing that struck me during my time in Greece. Village life is a lot simpler, it seems.
Ano Mera was my village square for many years as I lived 2 kilometres from there,I practically lived in the square,my friends have Tavernas there,it was never like what is showing in the Video.Donkeys are not allowed in the square..... Now having said that,if one takes a walk behind the Square towards the cemetery one could find a Gaidoro grazing or nearby in the fields, Greek village in Mykonos is really felt in the winter months when no travellers are around,I have spent many winters and I can assure you it was the best time of my life!.. Kalley Mera!

Reactions: efhernandez_
Ano Mera was my village square for many years as I lived 2 kilometres from there,I practically lived in the square,my friends have Tavernas there,it was never like what is showing in the Video.Donkeys are not allowed in the square..... Now having said that,if one takes a walk behind the Square towards the cemetery one could find a Gaidoro grazing or nearby in the fields, Greek village in Mykonos is really felt in the winter months when no travellers are around,I have spent many winters and I can assure you it was the best time of my life!.. Kalley Mera!
Beautiful, I would love to visit this winter and to get some really good deals on flights and accommodations. Most people don't know that Greece is equally as beautiful and charming in the winter :)

Reactions: Hash
Beautiful, I would love to visit this winter and to get some really good deals on flights and accommodations. Most people don't know that Greece is equally as beautiful and charming in the winter :)
Most certainly....I used to go to Creta on the Majestic Haroula which used to sail from Thessaloniki to Herakleion, stopping in Mykonos....I sailed 3 or 4 departures before the end of the season in late October/November so I could have a rest after a tiring season In Mykonos,it was magical,all Creta to myself in Red VW cabriolet..I will post a picture later on..... Kalley Mera Kalllo Mina from Thailand!

Most certainly....I used to go to Creta on the Majestic Haroula which used to sail from Thessaloniki to Herakleion, stopping in Mykonos....I sailed 3 or 4 departures before the end of the season in late October/November so I could have a rest after a tiring season In Mykonos,it was magical,all Creta to myself in Red VW cabriolet..I will post a picture later on..... Kalley Mera Kalllo Mina from Thailand!
Must have been pretty cold to sail like that in the winter!

Nightlife question about Mykonos

I have seen footage of fun-looking club atmospheres on Mykonos. I went last year and couldn't find those parties! I want to try again the next time I am in Greece, probably in September.

I’d love to find places that strike a balance between great music (preferably a mix of international and local beats), a lively but not overly crowded atmosphere, and of course, stunning settings that scream ‘Mykonos’!

Does anyone have personal favorites or hidden gems they'd be willing to share?

mykonos-nightlife.jpg

Packing for Mykonos Trip

I am going to be in Mykonos mid-September. Is it still warm enough for some solid beach time?

During the trip we will also be sightseeing, going out for dinner, doing some boating (friends), and maybe renting jet skis or something like that.

Latest I have ever been to Mykonos has been mid-August. Is the weather in September that much different?

Things to Do in Mykonos at Christmas

I am thinking of heading to Mykonos this Christmas season to visit some people. I thought I would share some thoughts about what I can do there this time of year.

Christmas Markets

Like many other places in Europe, Mykonos also has its own version of Christmas markets. Wander around the charming alleys of the old town and discover festive stalls selling handmade crafts, traditional sweets, and local delicacies. The main market takes place in Manto Square, where you can also experience the lighting of the Christmas tree and carol singing.

Traditional Celebration

Christmas celebrations in Mykonos follow the Greek Orthodox calendar, which means that the main festivities are held on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. You can attend the midnight Mass at one of the island's many churches, such as the Paraportiani Church, or witness the local traditions of kalanda (carol singing) and feasting on traditional dishes like avgolemono soup and roasted lamb.

Christmas Shopping

There are some great shops on Mykonos. I can do my Christmas shopping here!

How expensive is Mykonos?

I won't be going this year, but I am starting to plan for next year. I plan to be in a Greece for at least a month and someone I am traveling with is adamant about wanting to experience some clubs in Mykonos.

I think it does look fun, but I am concerned with whether or not it is expensive. I heard it can get bad. We have a limited budget... can we navigate the expense of it, and find less expensive ways to enjoy it. Can we?

Sightseeing Priorities in Mykonos

I will be in Mykonos for about 6-7 days but some of that will be taken up with a wedding and the related festivities.

I estimate I might have 4 full days to sightsee that don't involve the wedding. This isn't a lot of time. I will get at least one beach day, and I would like to get to know the island - its history, culture, etc.

Do you have any suggestions on how to prioritize?
Share and discuss your Mykonos photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back